mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mdi probelms btween Cubase MOXF"

Posted on: October 03, 2016 @ 03:38 AM
ca44
Total Posts:  9
Joined  10-03-2016

Hi there,

I am a new member with this forum community. Trust someone can assist me with the problem I am facing.

I converted a MOXF sequence song , X Song, to SMF midi file using MOXF8 unit. I then load this song onto the CUBASE AI8 DAW I have.  However the song sound weird when I played it back through Cubase-Laptop-USB-MOXF8. It will only sound correct if I set the MOXF song display to the song “ X SONG. The rythm style,backing instruments, and melody all sound right.  However should I set the MOXF song button to another song ( Y Song). then X Song will play in the style of Y song. Look forward to anyone who can explain the phenomenon.

How do I go about making changes in the CUBASE DAW so that X Song will sound reasonably right on other synhtesizers.

TQ in advance

Ca44

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2016 @ 04:02 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming the “other synthesizers” have General MIDI capability, and that your Song sounds right when using Voices from the MOXF GM banks (Normal and Drum), then see this support article:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/a_short_tutorial_creating_proper_gm_files

If anyone isn’t familiar with GM:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI
https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/general-midi

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2016 @ 10:59 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
ca44 - 03 October 2016 03:38 AM

It will only sound correct if I set the MOXF song display to the song “ X SONG. The rythm style,backing instruments, and melody all sound right.  However should I set the MOXF song button to another song ( Y Song). then X Song will play in the style of Y song.

It sounds like you have run into the issue with your Mixing. That is where a given song or pattern defines what voices are on what track, as well as settings for effects.

There are a few ways to fix this.

The simplest to use the MOXF VST Editor inside Cubase. That way when you recall a Cubase song the editor will resend the proper Mixing to your MOXF.

The other way would be to add sysex messages in Cubase to force the MOXF to select the proper song or pattern.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2016 @ 12:06 PM
ca44
Joined  10-03-2016

Much TQ for the fast responses.

To:  5pindin…….

I downloaded the support article from motifator.com. I have very basic knowledge of MIDI. Hence the article is too deep for me. Perhaps you can refer me to sites where I can educate myself on Midi specifics.

To: meatballtuiton:

Your response seemed to be the easiest to follow. Unfortunately I cannot locate the MOXF VST editor in Cubase AI8. I am therefore lost here too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2016 @ 02:13 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Unfortunately I cannot locate the MOXF VST editor in Cubase AI8. I am therefore lost here too.

MOXF VST editor is not part of Cubase. You should download it from this link and install. Check first which OS you have and choose language. Next time when you start Cubase, you could find MOXF VST editor under “Devices/VST instruments. Before that, you will also see in Media bay two project templates for recording MIDI and audio titled “MOXF...”.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2016 @ 08:10 AM
ca44
Joined  10-03-2016

Hi nbadesign,

I really appreciated the advice given.

I downloaded and installed the moxf6/moxf8 Stand Alone VST on to my laptop. I also followed the instructions given by the VST manual downloaded. However when I reached the “Auto Synchro” menu, and activate the “start” button, I get the response “port open error”. I got stumped. 

I will appreciate any further advice given.

Look forward to your reply.

Ca44

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2016 @ 06:22 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

ca44 - 08 October 2016 08:10 AM

Hi nbadesign,

I really appreciated the advice given.

I downloaded and installed the moxf6/moxf8 Stand Alone VST on to my laptop. I also followed the instructions given by the VST manual downloaded. However when I reached the “Auto Synchro” menu, and activate the “start” button, I get the response “port open error”. I got stumped. 

I will appreciate any further advice given.

Look forward to your reply.

Ca44

Have you select Yamaha Steinberg ASIO driver in Cubase? If not, you could do it through Device menu.
Also, have you check in MOXF Utility menu whether MIDI is set to USB not to MIDI (5pin)?

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2016 @ 03:44 AM
ca44
Joined  10-03-2016

hi nbadesign (Alex)

Through your advice, I finally managed to get the MOXF6/MOXF8 VST editor working.

I recorded a short piece of music and saved it as as xxxx.X6E. using the Editor File save menu.
Now the biggest problem how to open the file.

Cubase cannot open it. When I tried to open the file using the VST Editors menu, I got led into functions “auto Synchronizing’ etc. The file will just not open.

Another dilemma.

sorry for asking

agus

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2016 @ 10:36 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

I suppose that you are in Song mode on MOXF. Have you tried (after auto sync) File/Open in Editor?

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2016 @ 11:28 AM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

ca44,

You are really overcomplicating things.

Now that you have the editor installed, please read this article from yamahasynth.com which explains the entire process, step by step.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2016 @ 03:37 AM
ca44
Joined  10-03-2016

To : meatballfulton

Please understand that I have no intention of overcomplicating things.

It is just that even the article that you suggest for reading is outdated somewhat and the instructions given have no one-to-one correspondence with the cubase version or MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor i have.

Cubase is really a bad company. Its software is anything but user friendly. The same goes for Yamaha. Buy their instrument and you are on your own. 

I will struggle on but felt in the end I will flush Cubase down the toilet.

bye.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2016 @ 01:23 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

I read the article and based on my own experiences with Cubase and the Motif XF editor, it certainly looks right to me. If I could just sit down with you in person, I could probably have you up and running in five minutes. 

Let’s get back to the original problem.

1. You create Song X, save it as SMF.

2. You load SMF into Cubase.

3. Before playing the SMF, switch to Song mode and select Song X.

4. Play the SMF.

Does this work for you or not?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2016 @ 10:10 AM
ca44
Joined  10-03-2016

hi meatballfuton,

something strange is going on. the postings on subject disappeared from the forum page. I thought the postings were removed by forum mediator,
Now they came back with your reply dated 12 oct. I will get back to you once i get myself reorganized.

thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2016 @ 12:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
ca44 - 18 October 2016 10:10 AM

something strange is going on. the postings on subject disappeared from the forum page. I thought the postings were removed by forum mediator,
Now they came back [...]

Where are you looking?

Here’s the URL for just the MOXF forum:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewforum/165/

[ Ignore ]