mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Samples “Triggered” with one button push"

Posted on: September 29, 2016 @ 11:21 AM
jonathanfcabot@katyisd.org
Total Posts:  3
Joined  09-29-2016

Hey all,

I have all of my samples on a USB memory stick and can load them on to my XF8.  I am then triggering them through a MIDI controller on Part 9.  Everything is working, I have the keyboard split with “Lo Boy” in the bottom, “warm Pad” in the middle, and my samples are on C4-C6. 
How do I trigger the samples (some of which are are 10 seconds in length) without having to hold down the key for the duration of the sample?  Essentially playing my Lo-Boy & warm pad and “one-shot” triggering the samples quickly.

Thanks,
Jon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2016 @ 11:55 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Could you provide some more information?  What kind of PART are your samples placed in?  A DRUM VOICE is probably the best way to trigger sample “shots”, is that how you have them set up in a PART?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2016 @ 12:28 PM
Joined  09-29-2016

I am in SONG mode, so the Motif performer is using PARTs 1-8 for their voices, and the MIDI Controller (that is slaving off of the Motif) is using PARTs 9-16.  Here is how I set it up each time (I have a 500MB flash module coming in the mail to store my 125MB worth of WAV samples).

Plug in USB memory stick into Motif XF8
SONG mode
FILE
Choose folder with samples
TYPE = WAV
PART 9 (Also contains Lo Boy and Warm Pad, all 3 patches are on Receive Channel 9)
KEY C4-C6
LOAD MULTI

I just read the DRUM VOICE description, and basically what I want is RECEIVE NOTE OFF off, so that the sample plays with one keystroke rather than holding it down.

Thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2016 @ 12:37 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
jonathanfcabot@katyisd.org - 29 September 2016 12:28 PM

I just read the DRUM VOICE description, and basically what I want is RECEIVE NOTE OFF off, so that the sample plays with one keystroke rather than holding it down....

You’ve got it!

For future setups, you may find This Tutorial useful, especially the PDF document within the zipped folder.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2016 @ 01:25 PM
Joined  09-29-2016

Thanks.  I can’t find RECEIVE NOTE OFF in SONG mode, Mixing, Edit.  Do I have to go through VOICE mode to load my samples?  Do I need a flash module storage card to complete all of this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2016 @ 01:42 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
jonathanfcabot@katyisd.org - 29 September 2016 01:25 PM

...Do I have to go through VOICE mode to load my samples?....

Yes, as mentioned a DRUM VOICE is really the best way for the desired control.  See the referenced LOOP Tutorial and PDF.

The DRUM VOICE...with it’s appropriately programmed note assignment and Receive Note Off KEY edits...is placed as a PART in your SONG MIXING.

...I can’t find RECEIVE NOTE OFF in SONG mode, Mixing, Edit....

This is a KEY EDIT parameter in a DRUM VOICE, and is therefore accomplished at the VOICE(KEY) level, before it is placed as a PART in the MIXING.  A KEY in a DRUM VOICE is very comparable to an ELEMENT in a NORMAL VOICE.

See page 87 of the Motif XF Reference Manual.

...Do I need a flash module storage card to complete all of this?

That is the most convenient way, as it allows you to “permanently” keep your sample data intact through power cycles.  However, it is not required.  The machine has 128MB of USER Memory where the audio can be LOADED...but this is cleared on power-off, and must be LOADED each time you turn the machine on.  This is a viable option, provided your Samples fit within the USER Memory capacity.

For convenience, the USER Memory can be set to Auto-Load, on power-up, from an attached USB thumb drive.

[ Ignore ]