mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pilot “Magic” song keyboard question"

Posted on: September 07, 2016 @ 10:45 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hi! In the event that I was to try to recreate the keyboard sounds in the song “Magic”, by Pilot, what is that keyboard in the linked video? I have had zero luck finding it. This would be a huge help! What is it?????

-Max

Pilot - Magic (1975 - HD)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 10:43 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

It’s nothing I recognize, but since the band is lip synching I doubt it matters too much ;)

I’m guessing it’s some sort of electric piano. Probably a European model not common in the USA. Another lip-synch Pilot video shows a Wurlitzer piano and ARP Odyssey.

If you mean the wah-wah sound, it’s some sort of EP or clav through a wah or envelope filter.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 12:16 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

I never even realized that their guitars aren’t even plugged in! I wonder if they ever even wrote and recorded the original tracks! Those mics must have been VERY sensitive to transmit unplugged electric guitars and vocals from 3 feet away ;-). Still, though, I do wonder about the keyboard. It almost reminds me of some sort of upright Novachord (never made an upright), because of the controls.

Is the keyboardist even playing live for real? The drums seem to be.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2016 @ 08:38 AM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

Pilot may have had a lightweight feel, but bassist David Paton who wrote and sang “Magic” went on to work with Kate Bush, Elton John and Alan Parsons Project so he was no lightweight musician.

Even when lip synching most players try to follow along with the track. That video has no live playing in it at all, it’s just the recording.

Good luck on IDing that keyboard, but I would doubt it’s used on the record.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2016 @ 09:40 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
meatballfulton - 09 September 2016 08:38 AM

Good luck on IDing that keyboard, but I would doubt it’s used on the record.

I believe it’s a late sixties National, prior to the Panasonic/Technics/Roland/ Ace-Tone mixture.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2016 @ 12:49 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

A “National”? It must be very rare, as all that I can find are guitars and amps made by them.

-Max

Edit: And this: (see attached). I think that this is what the keyboard was.

File Attachments
National_SX-601.JPG.zip  (File Size: 1365KB - Downloads: 365)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2016 @ 04:58 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
Mighty Motif Max - 09 September 2016 12:49 PM

A “National”? It must be very rare, as all that I can find are guitars and amps made by them.

-Max

Edit: And this: (see attached). I think that this is what the keyboard was.

Close, there’s not a lot of info online about them.

As I recall an Uncle of mine bought one around the late sixties from our local Western Auto, I believe, of all places. The store closed a few years later, gone with the ages. Then I moved to the Vineyard in the late 80’s and low and behold: a Western Auto on Circuit Ave. in Oaks Bluff. Weird.
Without documentation it’s hard to say what was used on the recording. There were a number of cheesy units back then. What’s in the video may well be a prop. Or not.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2016 @ 05:05 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

The USA guitar company National that made Dobro guitars is totally different than the Asian National electronics company which was associated with Panasonic.

We have a winner! National SX-601 organ

b1101d7df7e5df15034e8144188b9d4b.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2016 @ 05:24 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
meatballfulton - 09 September 2016 05:05 PM

The USA guitar company National that made Dobro guitars is totally different than the Asian National electronics company which was associated with Panasonic.

We have a winner! National SX-601 organ

Huge picture man!
Yes, that National later became part of the complicated association as I noted above and had no connection to the guitar manufacturer. The one in the photo has a different case than the example in the video but does bare many similarities.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 03:53 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Thanks! Neat looking thing, isn’t it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 04:21 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
Mighty Motif Max - 12 September 2016 03:53 PM

Thanks! Neat looking thing, isn’t it?

Sure is, in a Jetsons’ kinda way. It might even sound cool. I’d take one in. I’m trying to keep our last remaining electronics store open. It’s tough though, not a lot of profit in caps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 04:55 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

You run a music store? Awesome! Where? What do you specialize in?

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 10:03 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
Mighty Motif Max - 12 September 2016 04:55 PM

-Max

Good grief no store, just an avid collector. Some people collect ceramic roosters and elephants. I collect keyboards. I knew a guy who collected antique toasters and swords. Weird. Very uncomfortable home is how I felt when visiting. Wires, springs and blades, and it looked like a horror movie set. I hope my visitors don’t feel the same, although most are musicians. They get it.
I share what I have in a benevolent fashion and quite often have a bit of gear out on loan. Makes room for regular furniture. Thanks for asking.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 11:58 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
stoneb3 - 12 September 2016 10:03 PM
Mighty Motif Max - 12 September 2016 04:55 PM

-Max

Good grief no store, just an avid collector.
I share what I have in a benevolent fashion and quite often have a bit of gear out on loan. Makes room for regular furniture. Thanks for asking.

Stone

I misunderstood, as you said

“I’m trying to keep our last remaining electronics store open.”

---

Some people collect ceramic roosters and elephants. I collect keyboards. I knew a guy who collected antique toasters and swords. Weird. Very uncomfortable home is how I felt when visiting. Wires, springs and blades, and it looked like a horror movie set. I hope my visitors don’t feel the same, although most are musicians. They get it.

I seem to collect accordions. A lot of people just don’t want them anymore. It’s kind of sad, they take such skill to make. I will be out performing, and sometimes people say, “I have an old accordion up in my attic that I don’t know what to do with”, or, “My husband/uncle/(relative) passed away, and (he/she) left this. Can you use it/would you like to take a look at it?”

I almost always say yes, and I tend to get a lot of them for free.
Out of my 10 accordions, only 5 cost me anything except for time and patience.

I also seem to acquire vintage home organs. I actually have two, and they are both Kimball organs, one near the top of the line in 1980, and the other was an entry-level one from 1983. they both work quite well.

My first accordion teacher had a large room completely filled to the top with accordions!

I also know of a person who collects old torches, and exhibits them!

I know what you mean about visitors. When people come, there are instruments in almost every room. Including the big organ in the dining room!

Now, about keyboards. I definitely have a few of those. The most interesting (other than my Motif) is certainly a Yamaha YS-200, a FM synth from 1987. See here: http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/ys200.php I got this one at a pawn shop for a good price - the owner thought that it was, “A old 1970’s organ thing”!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2020 @ 12:29 AM
Chaderico
Total Posts:  1
Joined  10-27-2020

Hi all. Just wondering, if someone was to have a SX601 , what would the asking price be at all...I cannot find any figures anywhere

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ usb not detected
Next Topic:

XF8 Stereo Speakers Question ››