mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sampling Question on XF"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: August 27, 2016 @ 12:46 AM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

I’m pretty sure this question has been made several times on this board but this is something I only did quite some time ago when I had the XS. My question is if the sampling process on the XF is the same as in the XS ?
I want to sample some noises etc from a CD and assign them to User Drum voices keys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2016 @ 08:12 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The sampling process is basically the same, but of course with the XF you have the choice of volatile (SDRAM) or non-volatile (flash module) memory for storage.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2016 @ 07:49 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
5pinDIN - 27 August 2016 08:12 AM

The sampling process is basically the same, but of course with the XF you have the choice of volatile (SDRAM) or non-volatile (flash module) memory for storage.

Do you have a link to the sampling process by any chance ? I tried following the steps on this video here, but something is missing, I tried sampling just one key with a sound effect I have on my MAC, the Motif XF does received the audio and it goes through the Motif outputs and it show the volume level bar going up on the right of the LCD screen, but when recording it doesn’t seem to keep it in storage, I am missing something… It doesn’t show the flash memory option even though it is installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3wxlt07fJs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2016 @ 08:52 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

When recording, samples always go to the 128MB RAM. Once there, they can be copied into Flash.

There is no direct recording to Flash.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2016 @ 10:20 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

See the sampling Job 03: Copy to Flash Memory on page 135 of the XF Reference Manual.

Some functions related to working with samples were added with version 1.10 of the XF OS. They’re not covered in the Reference Manual, but are in the Supplementary Manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/53105
Scroll down to the Version 1.10 section.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2016 @ 03:15 AM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004

I was finally able to make my first sample on the XF, (a fair light orchestra Hit) I sampled C3 then selected the range to go all the way to C4 to have one complete octave, but when I finished and saved it to Flash Memory only C3 survived, the rest of the octave didn’t go through. I must have missed something.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2016 @ 08:29 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Venatt - 07 September 2016 03:15 AM

[...]I must have missed something.

Not necessarily. If you use your sampled Waveform in a Voice, can it be played over the C3~C4 range?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2016 @ 11:50 AM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004

There is where I sampled it, (in a drum kit in voice mode)but after copying it to flash only C3 plays the samples, the rest of the octave is silence.

Another thing that happened is that after I did my sampled, I loaded one of my all file projects for a band I’m currently playing with, but after that I went to look for the sample on C3 and guess what, yes it was gone, just an initialized piano voice was there on that key(C3) instead of the sample.

Tell me if I’m wrong but I guess I should have first loaded my all file project and then work on the sample and save everything on the same all file project. However if I would want to work on a different all file project for let’s say another band(different songs for example) and I would want to use the same samples I did with the previous project, then I would have to re-sample them for that new all file and save them there.

I though that after saving a sample in flash memory they would be available for any all file but it’s not the case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2016 @ 09:30 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Unlike your previous XS, a sample stored in a Waveform on an XF flash module remains there when the power is turned off, and when a new “all” file is loaded. What could happen is that loading a new “all” file can overwrite a Voice that used the Waveform. If you didn’t save an “all” file before loading another, then you can create another Voice that uses the Waveform stored on the flash module.

For the Waveform to be “gone”, you would have to intentionally delete it. To verify your Waveform is still there…
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6](Flash)
Select FL1 (or FL2 if you used a second module)
Cursor down to the Waveform List, scroll if needed and find your Waveform. If you highlight it, you can Press [SF5](Audition) to hear it.

You previously said that you “sampled C3 then selected the range to go all the way to C4 to have one complete octave”. Let’s determine if that was accomplished…
Press [Voice]
Press [INTEGRATED SAMPLING]
Press [JOB]
Press [F3](Other)
Select 04: Copy from Flash Memory, then press [ENTER]
Select your Waveform, then press [ENTER], [INC/YES]
Your selected sample should be displayed.
Press [EDIT]
What is the Key Range that’s displayed? If it’s not what you want, change it. Copy the Waveform to flash if you want to keep the edited version. You could delete the original version if the edited one is preferred.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2016 @ 12:02 AM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004

Ok, the waveform is there and the entire octave is there. Now how can I copy the sample to a voice, then select that voice so I can play the sample in song mode, not as a sequence but just playing it live ? save it so is available all the time, how can I accomplish this ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2016 @ 06:41 AM
Ajay shah
Total Posts:  20
Joined  09-09-2016

YOURE A GENIUS. looks like you’ve really mastered this instrument.

5pinDIN - 07 September 2016 09:30 PM

Unlike your previous XS, a sample stored in a Waveform on an XF flash module remains there when the power is turned off, and when a new “all” file is loaded. What could happen is that loading a new “all” file can overwrite a Voice that used the Waveform. If you didn’t save an “all” file before loading another, then you can create another Voice that uses the Waveform stored on the flash module.

For the Waveform to be “gone”, you would have to intentionally delete it. To verify your Waveform is still there…
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6](Flash)
Select FL1 (or FL2 if you used a second module)
Cursor down to the Waveform List, scroll if needed and find your Waveform. If you highlight it, you can Press [SF5](Audition) to hear it.

You previously said that you “sampled C3 then selected the range to go all the way to C4 to have one complete octave”. Let’s determine if that was accomplished…
Press [Voice]
Press [JOB]
Press [F3](Other)
Select 04: Copy from Flash Memory, then press [ENTER]
Select your Waveform, then press [ENTER], [INC/YES]
Your selected sample should be displayed.
Press [EDIT]
What is the Key Range that’s displayed? If it’s not what you want, change it. Copy the Waveform to flash if you want to keep the edited version. You could delete the original version if the edited one is preferred.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2016 @ 08:46 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Ajay shah - 15 September 2016 06:41 AM

YOURE A GENIUS. looks like you’ve really mastered this instrument.

Thanks for that, but mostly what it takes is spending (a lot of) time with the Motifs, their manuals, articles, etc.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2016 @ 09:15 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Venatt - 15 September 2016 12:02 AM

Ok, the waveform is there and the entire octave is there. Now how can I copy the sample to a voice, then select that voice so I can play the sample in song mode, not as a sequence but just playing it live ? save it so is available all the time, how can I accomplish this ?

You don’t have to “copy” the Waveform to a Voice. A Waveform on a flash module is available just like the preset ones in ROM.

When creating or editing a Voice, you can select the Wave for each Element of a Normal Voice or a Key of a Drum Voice. For a User Waveform, select Wave Bank USR (rather than PRE), then the Wave Number of your sample. Be sure to STORE the edited Voice.

Once you’ve stored the Voice, select it as a Part in a Song Mixing, and STORE the Song. (See Mixing Setup Procedure beginning on page 189 of the XF Reference Manual.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2016 @ 11:59 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
5pinDIN - 15 September 2016 09:15 AM
Venatt - 15 September 2016 12:02 AM

You don’t have to “copy” the Waveform to a Voice. A Waveform on a flash module is available just like the preset ones in ROM.

When creating or editing a Voice, you can select the Wave for each Element of a Normal Voice or a Key of a Drum Voice. For a User Waveform, select Wave Bank USR (rather than PRE), then the Wave Number of your sample. Be sure to STORE the edited Voice.

Once you’ve stored the Voice, select it as a Part in a Song Mixing, and STORE the Song. (See Mixing Setup Procedure beginning on page 189 of the XF Reference Manual.)

Sorry that I didn’t get back to you guys sooner, I’ve traveling for work purposes. First off all I want to thank you all for all of your help but a new problem came up:

The last thing I did was to work with my sample on my All File and saved as an All File, which I didn’t do the first time, but now I have a new problem, when I’m loading my all file it displays a message that says: Now installing to the Flash Expansion Memory Module and then it displays: Now Loading.

Then I go to my song project and the Motif is no longer transmuting MIDI, the way I use the Motif is that I play some sounds with some splits on channel 2 and 3, I execute those with the Motif XF6 keys, then because I need more keys, I set some sounds or voices to channel 1 and execute those on my Nord Lead 4 using it as a sort of controller. It had work just fine until I worked with the sample on my all File.  My MIDI connection to the Nord Lead 4 is done the right way, Motif XF6 MIDI IN to Nord Lead 4 MIDI Out, but it is no longer transmuting.

I don’t know what happened and don’t have any idea what parameters I messed up.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2016 @ 02:06 AM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004

Nevermind about the MIDI problem, I put another MIDI cable and it is now working, the other one is done. MIDI cables don’t last forever.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2016 @ 07:36 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Venatt - 20 September 2016 11:59 PM

[...] The last thing I did was to work with my sample on my All File and saved as an All File, which I didn’t do the first time, but now I have a new problem, when I’m loading my all file it displays a message that says: Now installing to the Flash Expansion Memory Module and then it displays: Now Loading. [...]

Be careful about loading that “All” file multiple times.

If you don’t set the load option…
FL1 > None
...you will duplicate your Waveform(s) in the flash module.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_flash_memory_expansion_modules

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2