mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Any MOXF owners out there with a Novation Mininova?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: August 11, 2016 @ 05:28 PM
moxfman
Total Posts:  80
Joined  03-13-2016

I’m going to get one of these as a second board for live gigs. My band does some Gary Numan covers and the “Numanova” sound pack recently released for this synth has me sold on it. Vox Humana heaven awaits!

Any forum members using one these in conjunction with an MOXF?

The Novation will be controlled from my MOXF8, using Master setups on the MOXF8 for songs where I’ll want to use the Mininova sounds.

I understand the Novation cannot receive MIDI volume (cc 7) messages, so I’ll have to adjust its volume on the synth itself not from the MOXF.

Just interested in any experiences MOXF owners out there might have with the Mininova, in particular in live use as a slave synth connected to a MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 12:16 AM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015
moxfman - 11 August 2016 05:28 PM

I understand the Novation cannot receive MIDI volume (cc 7) messages, so I’ll have to adjust its volume on the synth itself not from the MOXF.
Just interested in any experiences MOXF owners out there might have with the Mininova.

I used a MO6 or MOX with an Ultranova and some other gear. Nothing Novation specific here. You need the damned master mode (that I hate) because MSB/LSB, volume/pan parameters cannot be accessed from mixings (nor from performances I suppose). It’ll works fine otherwise. Mininova will follow settings from MOXF. See MSB/LSB settings needed in Novation docs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 02:03 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

I have a Mininova that I usually play from my MoXF when in Cubase, so not directly connected. If you don’t want to use the volume knob on the Novation, you could try to use the PostFX Level in the mixer section, I think it’s cc59.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 06:34 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
jozsihome - 12 August 2016 12:16 AM
moxfman - 11 August 2016 05:28 PM

Just interested in any experiences MOXF owners out there might have with the Mininova.

I used a MO6 or MOX with an Ultranova and some other gear. Nothing Novation specific here. You need the damned master mode (that I hate) because MSB/LSB, volume/pan parameters cannot be accessed from mixings (nor from performances I suppose). It’ll works fine otherwise. Mininova will follow settings from MOXF. See MSB/LSB settings needed in Novation docs.

I will be using the Master mode for live performance because, for me at least, it makes sense to have everything set up that way.

The volume parameters you mention will not be able to control the volume of the Novation though right?

The Mininova cannot receive cc7, so I don’t know how the Master mode would affect that?

You do have to wonder why Novation left out cc7 from the MIDI implementation on the Mininova.

I think the lack of cc7 is the same on the Ultranova as well, is it not?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 06:37 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
zpink - 12 August 2016 02:03 AM

I have a Mininova that I usually play from my MoXF when in Cubase, so not directly connected. If you don’t want to use the volume knob on the Novation, you could try to use the PostFX Level in the mixer section, I think it’s cc59.

Mixer section? What’s that? Sorry, not sure I follow you here! Can you explain what you mean? Is that a setting on the Mininova?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 06:54 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Menu - Edit - Mixer -PostFXLv, this works very much like ‘volume’ and does have a cc according to the cc-chart.

The reason you don’t have a cc to the actual volume is probably because it’s a physical knob on the mininova I suspect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 11:36 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You can still use CC #11 (expression) to control volume of the Mininova.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 02:52 PM
jozsihome
Joined  11-28-2015

Strange… I had an ultranova wich is almost the same from the internal architecture point of view. And CC7 exists in the midi implementation chart of ultranova and I also remember that it worked as expected. I used it in a similar setup as you’re planning.

I searched a bit but no explanation found. Existing of any HW controls on mininova don’t justify the lack of volume control over midi.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 04:16 PM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
zpink - 12 August 2016 06:54 AM

Menu - Edit - Mixer -PostFXLv, this works very much like ‘volume’ and does have a cc according to the cc-chart.

The reason you don’t have a cc to the actual volume is probably because it’s a physical knob on the mininova I suspect.

Thanks for clarifying where it is! But the Ultranova, as I understand it, can be controlled over MIDI cc7 in terms of volume and that also has a knob for that task vs. a slider…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 04:20 PM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
meatballfulton - 12 August 2016 11:36 AM

You can still use CC #11 (expression) to control volume of the Mininova.

I heard about that but isn’t it rather complex to set up? The MOXF8 can only transmit via a pedal (which I have, the FC-7, and is already set up for this)? Or can it be an assignable knob function in Master Mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 04:32 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
moxfman - 12 August 2016 04:20 PM

...Or can it be an assignable knob function in Master Mode?

Yes, your Assignable Knobs work in Master Mode, of course.

See [F5] KNOB on page 132 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

See the section titled KNOBS and Zones in This Article.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 04:45 PM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
jozsihome - 12 August 2016 02:52 PM

Strange… I had an ultranova wich is almost the same from the internal architecture point of view. And CC7 exists in the midi implementation chart of ultranova and I also remember that it worked as expected. I used it in a similar setup as you’re planning.

I searched a bit but no explanation found. Existing of any HW controls on mininova don’t justify the lack of volume control over midi.

I thought I read somewhere on the Novation site saying the Ultranova DIDN’T respond to cc7 via MIDI....but I’d need to go double-check that!

I really would like to control the volume of the Novation from the MOXF, it seems Master mode will do it (which I plan to use when playing with live anyay) but using cc11 instead…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 04:48 PM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
cmayhle - 12 August 2016 04:32 PM

Thanks! So will this still work to control an external synth’s volume, if the FC-7 ‘global setting’ (in the UTILITY area of the MOXF8) is set for cc11 Expression?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 05:15 PM
jozsihome
Joined  11-28-2015

OK, and then you may have an additional volume control device as an alternative to the volume knob of the mininova - fine :-). Note that actual setting of such controls will not influence the volume or anything after selecting a master until you touch them.

But Moxfman wants to set a default volume beforehand to be set automatically in live situation by switching to the next master. Ready to play, track volume levels harmonized, you or sound engineer should set only a master volume…

...oops, by the way, in this situation it is the best solution to connect mininova audio out to the moxf aodio in; by this arrangement you have a master volume, you can use moxf effects for mininova signals and you can use one stereo output instead of two for connecting to the mixer. And you will need only two DI-Box channel instead of four.

A possible workaround: store a version of the mininova patch dedicated to the given master. Set this dedicated patch output level at oscillator or amplifier section, where you can, in the meantime setting main volume of the mininova at a fixed point, that you use also in live (such us fully up or 3/4 etc).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2016 @ 07:00 PM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
jozsihome - 12 August 2016 05:15 PM

OK, and then you may have an additional volume control device as an alternative to the volume knob of the mininova - fine :-). Note that actual setting of such controls will not influence the volume or anything after selecting a master until you touch them.

But Moxfman wants to set a default volume beforehand to be set automatically in live situation by switching to the next master. Ready to play, track volume levels harmonized, you or sound engineer should set only a master volume…

...oops, by the way, in this situation it is the best solution to connect mininova audio out to the moxf aodio in; by this arrangement you have a master volume, you can use moxf effects for mininova signals and you can use one stereo output instead of two for connecting to the mixer. And you will need only two DI-Box channel instead of four.

A possible workaround: store a version of the mininova patch dedicated to the given master. Set this dedicated patch output level at oscillator or amplifier section, where you can, in the meantime setting main volume of the mininova at a fixed point, that you use also in live (such us fully up or 3/4 etc).

I hadn’t thought of using the A/D input jacks!

So...the next question is:

Is it possible to have INDIVIDUAL real-time volume control over the volume of the MOXF8 AND the Novation in Master mode?

Surely the master volume is going to control the volume of the MOXF8 AND the Novation?

I do want to be able to have some real-time control over the volume of the Novation (from the MOXF8).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2016 @ 12:59 AM
jozsihome
Joined  11-28-2015
moxfman - 12 August 2016 07:00 PM

Is it possible to have INDIVIDUAL real-time volume control over the volume of the MOXF8 AND the Novation in Master mode?

Surely the master volume is going to control the volume of the MOXF8 AND the Novation?
I do want to be able to have some real-time control over the volume of the Novation (from the MOXF8).

Its time to have a look at your instrument… :-) and find a knob with “input gain” label. And yes, master volume is master volume - controls level of sound generated internally, A/D input and DAW signal (and the latter has also a dedicated control).

And what is more: you can also set two dedicated insert effect of MOXF to this channel. 

All in all this is an extremely useful function and gives significant advantage to the MOX/MOXF line in this price range.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ USB & MIDI connections
Next Topic:

Sequencer Question for the MOFX ››