mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Flash - any limitation for format operation"

Posted on: August 09, 2016 @ 05:22 AM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Hi,
(1) Do you have any information about possible limitation regarding the number of format operations during the life cycle of the flash memory module? I cannot find any relevant info in MOXF FLASHMEMORY GUIDE, but other flash/EEPROM products may have some limitations (e.g. 100 or 1000 “reprogramming").

(2) In my understanging we can add or remove samples/waveforms one-by-one quite easily, but when I want to test an extensive voice package with waveforms (such as inspiration in a flash) then I have to format the module to get enough storage area for new wave forms and format again for restoring the previous status from a “with waveforms” backup. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any hints.
Jozsihome

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2016 @ 08:24 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Flash memory does have a write count limit but it’s in the thousands.

If I reformat 3 times a day every day for a year that would only be 1095 write cycles to each memory location.

There are different types of flash memory, the FL boards use NOR which is rated at 100K+ cycles. So three reformats a day every day for 100 years.

No worries…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2016 @ 08:43 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See https://www.micron.com/-/media/client/global/documents/products/data-sheet/nor-flash/parallel/m29ew/m29ew_256mb_2gb.pdf if you want details.

Note that data retention is typically about 20 years, so for those who fully load a module and never reinstall it, refresh the data every couple of decades.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2016 @ 11:55 AM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Meatballfulton, 5pinDIN - Thanks for the favourable reply. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Powered speaker for MOXF8
Next Topic:

Sequencer & Firmware questions... ››