mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Smart media card VS USB stick for autoload"

Posted on: July 12, 2016 @ 09:42 AM
e.laforge
Total Posts:  41
Joined  02-03-2016

I have around 40MB autoload file in my ES currently. it loads waveform data of my favorite patches from the Classic, and some others. it would take me between 3 to 4 minutes to boot from USB.

I can buy a 128MB smart media card. is there any noticable speed up with the load times between USB or Card?

If it could cut the waiting time by half, I’d definitely get one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2016 @ 12:09 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

As I recall, the SM card is a little bit faster but not by 2x.

Of course, if you need to autoload 128MB or more you must use USB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2016 @ 02:00 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

e.laforge - 12 July 2016 09:42 AM

I have around 40MB autoload file in my ES currently. it loads waveform data of my favorite patches from the Classic, and some others. it would take me between 3 to 4 minutes to boot from USB.

I can buy a 128MB smart media card. is there any noticable speed up with the load times between USB or Card?

If it could cut the waiting time by half, I’d definitely get one.

Smart media card is faster and only way to update firmware on ES. If it is not 1.08 in your case, than you need SMC. In order to check your firmware version, power on the unit while holding down the [REC] and [STORE] buttons simultaneously.
But, don’t buy SMC since it is expensive! Better and more cheaper solution is xD to SM adapter and to buy cheaper xD cards. You could use any up to 128Mb. Also, you could still easily find card readers with xD support, but I have not seen SMC readers. If exist, it should be also expensive. For instance, when I bought such adapter I remember that 128Mb SMC was over $70, while xD to SMC adapter was $9!! And xD cards was also less than $20. Just to let you know.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2016 @ 04:53 PM
e.laforge
Total Posts:  41
Joined  02-03-2016

Just checked the firmware.

It shows:

Kernel - 1.01
Firm - 1.07

Now, the text file for the update shows this:

Main Fixes and Enhancements:
V1.06 to V1.08
- Improved the performance of Total Recall.
- Solved some somall problems.

V1.0x to V1.06
Fixed the issue that some third-party flash memory products are not recognized on the unit. The MOTIF-ES is now compatible with more USB flash devices.

No mention of 1.07. should I be updating to 1.08?

the SMC will cost between 40 to 60 USD. Do you think it’s not worth it?

I guess you’re right though, the xD card will be around 20$, adapter around 4$, reader also around 4$.

Will the Motif ES recognize the xD with the SMC adapter just the same?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2016 @ 05:28 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

e.laforge - 12 July 2016 04:53 PM

Just checked the firmware.

It shows:

Kernel - 1.01
Firm - 1.07

Now, the text file for the update shows this:

Main Fixes and Enhancements:
V1.06 to V1.08
- Improved the performance of Total Recall.
- Solved some somall problems.

V1.0x to V1.06
Fixed the issue that some third-party flash memory products are not recognized on the unit. The MOTIF-ES is now compatible with more USB flash devices.

No mention of 1.07. should I be updating to 1.08?

the SMC will cost between 40 to 60 USD. Do you think it’s not worth it?

I guess you’re right though, the xD card will be around 20$, adapter around 4$, reader also around 4$.

Will the Motif ES recognize the xD with the SMC adapter just the same?

You should update your ES. And t recognizes xD with SMC adapter just the same way. You will see on ES display information that you have plug SMC. I even check it in MU2000EX that I have purchased recently from Japan to keep my PLG boards taken from ES. And it also works with this adapter without issues! Believe me, you should don’t worry about adapter, it works nice. And you will keep some money :).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pattern recording: two tracks coupled??
Next Topic:

Motif ES8 action vs other options ››