mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to import my own samples to flash ROM?"

Posted on: June 30, 2016 @ 03:41 PM
Fess
Total Posts:  48
Joined  08-01-2008

Hi there, when I tried to do it, and chose Load Multi it would only burn one sample to the flash memory. Every time I tried to load another sample it just copied over the previous one. Also, I tried loading the samples in RAM using ‘Multi load’ and out of the 112 wave files it would only load 72. I chose the root key of C0. Also, is there a way to empty the RAM without shutting off the Motif and switching it back on again? I have the DVD ‘Fully Loaded’ and nowhere on the DVD does it say how to load our own samples. I want to load my own signature kits (44kHz 16bit) . Is this even possible? Please help.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2016 @ 09:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Fess - 30 June 2016 03:41 PM

[...] Also, is there a way to empty the RAM without shutting off the Motif and switching it back on again? [...]

See Sampling Job “Delete All” on page 129 of the XF Reference Manual. This will delete the SDRAM contents, but not anything in flash modules.

As to other difficulties…
What is the total size in MB of all the 112 WAV files? Were there any error messages generated? If so, what?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2016 @ 11:09 PM
Fess
Joined  08-01-2008
5pinDIN - 30 June 2016 09:15 PM
Fess - 30 June 2016 03:41 PM

[...] Also, is there a way to empty the RAM without shutting off the Motif and switching it back on again? [...]

See Sampling Job “Delete All” on page 129 of the XF Reference Manual. This will delete the SDRAM contents, but not anything in flash modules.

As to other difficulties…
What is the total size in MB of all the 112 WAV files? Were there any error messages generated? If so, what?

Hey, thanks a lot for getting back to me. Thanks for the tip on page 129. The total of the collection of 112 wave files is 51.1 MB so a very small size. They are all wav files at 44kHz sampling rate 16 bit depth.

Maybe I’m missing one important step? I am simply trying to load them onto one of my flash ROM boards. I tried first loading them to RAM into a user drum kit (Trance kit) and chose the root note of C0 so I could get all the samples on the keys. Out of 112 it only loaded 72 samples when using ‘multi’ load. No error messages except when the RAM was full, then I shut down the Motif and turned it back on again. Tried again (this time, no error of waveform full in RAM) with the exact same result when trying to load ‘multi’-only 72 samples loaded. Then I tried to load them using multi right to the FL1 ROM and it only loaded one sample-the first one. Tried loading one at a time but the second sample i tried loading always copied over the first one-so I could only get one sample on the ROM. I have since deleted that file from the ROM while we try to figure this out. If you have any suggestions I’m ready to give it a shot.

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2016 @ 08:51 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Fess - 30 June 2016 11:09 PM

Hey, thanks a lot for getting back to me. Thanks for the tip on page 129.

You’re welcome.

Fess -

The total of the collection of 112 wave files is 51.1 MB so a very small size. They are all wav files at 44kHz sampling rate 16 bit depth.

OK, total size and sample type should work.

Fess -

Maybe I’m missing one important step? I am simply trying to load them onto one of my flash ROM boards. I tried first loading them to RAM into a user drum kit (Trance kit) and chose the root note of C0 so I could get all the samples on the keys. Out of 112 it only loaded 72 samples when using ‘multi’ load. No error messages except when the RAM was full, then I shut down the Motif and turned it back on again. Tried again (this time, no error of waveform full in RAM) with the exact same result when trying to load ‘multi’-only 72 samples loaded.

A Drum Kit has 73 instrument “slots” (C0~C6), so using “Load Multi” that way can load up to 73 samples to SDRAM. I don’t know why you found 72.

Once you have those loaded, create another folder on your drive and copy to it the remaining of the 112 WAVs that weren’t yet loaded - it should be the last 39 of them. Use a Drum Kit and Load Multi again, but with that folder. That should add the 39 to the 73 already loaded into SDRAM.

Fess -

Then I tried to load them using multi right to the FL1 ROM and it only loaded one sample-the first one. Tried loading one at a time but the second sample i tried loading always copied over the first one-so I could only get one sample on the ROM. I have since deleted that file from the ROM while we try to figure this out. If you have any suggestions I’m ready to give it a shot.

Once all 112 samples are in SDRAM, use the Sampling Job “Copy to Flash Memory” to move them to FL1.

-----------

If you use Load Multi with a Normal Voice (rather than a Drum Voice), you can load all 112 at once. However, that will create a single Waveform with 112 Keybanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2016 @ 11:01 PM
Fess
Joined  08-01-2008
5pinDIN - 01 July 2016 08:51 AM
Fess - 30 June 2016 11:09 PM

Hey, thanks a lot for getting back to me. Thanks for the tip on page 129.

You’re welcome.

Fess -

The total of the collection of 112 wave files is 51.1 MB so a very small size. They are all wav files at 44kHz sampling rate 16 bit depth.

OK, total size and sample type should work.

Fess -

Maybe I’m missing one important step? I am simply trying to load them onto one of my flash ROM boards. I tried first loading them to RAM into a user drum kit (Trance kit) and chose the root note of C0 so I could get all the samples on the keys. Out of 112 it only loaded 72 samples when using ‘multi’ load. No error messages except when the RAM was full, then I shut down the Motif and turned it back on again. Tried again (this time, no error of waveform full in RAM) with the exact same result when trying to load ‘multi’-only 72 samples loaded.

A Drum Kit has 73 instrument “slots” (C0~C6), so using “Load Multi” that way can load up to 73 samples to SDRAM. I don’t know why you found 72.

Once you have those loaded, create another folder on your drive and copy to it the remaining of the 112 WAVs that weren’t yet loaded - it should be the last 39 of them. Use a Drum Kit and Load Multi again, but with that folder. That should add the 39 to the 73 already loaded into SDRAM.

Fess -

Then I tried to load them using multi right to the FL1 ROM and it only loaded one sample-the first one. Tried loading one at a time but the second sample i tried loading always copied over the first one-so I could only get one sample on the ROM. I have since deleted that file from the ROM while we try to figure this out. If you have any suggestions I’m ready to give it a shot.

Once all 112 samples are in SDRAM, use the Sampling Job “Copy to Flash Memory” to move them to FL1.

-----------

If you use Load Multi with a Normal Voice (rather than a Drum Voice), you can load all 112 at once. However, that will create a single Waveform with 112 Keybanks.

Thanks a lot for the walk-through. I’ll try everything tomorrow. I have a a couple more questions- Is there a character limit for file names when copying to FL1? When you say a single waveform with 112 key*banks* does that mean each sample (a snare, for example) bank will spread chromatically across the keyboard varying the pitch? Sorry for the questions but I’ve only recently started to dig deep into this amazing workstation and I just want to master everything about it, which includes filling up both Flash boards with samples.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2016 @ 09:00 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Fess - 02 July 2016 11:01 PM

[...] Is there a character limit for file names when copying to FL1?

Waveform names can have a maximum of 20 characters, including any file extensions such as “.WAV”.

Fess -

When you say a single waveform with 112 key*banks* does that mean each sample (a snare, for example) bank will spread chromatically across the keyboard varying the pitch? [...]

Using Load Multi with a Normal Voice is typically appropriate for an instrument which has been multi-sampled. 

Each sample will be consecutively assigned to a single key, beginning with the head Key you choose. With 112 samples, it would be necessary for that Key to be lower than C0 (C0~G8 is only 104 keys).

Each Keybank can be edited - one Parameter is Key Range. If the Key Range is extended beyond the default single key, a pitched sample will play with changing pitch. However, extending the Key Range that way will cause not only the stretched sample to play, but also the one originally assigned to the additional key(s).

If you need each of your 112 samples to be an individual XF Waveform, then using a Drum Kit as previously described can accomplish that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2016 @ 12:47 PM
Fess
Joined  08-01-2008

Excellent, it worked! Thanks so much man. I’ll try not to bombard you with questions in the future. I have 2 instructional DVDs to review for the Motif XF so hopefully I won’t need to harass you again:)

Take it easy 5pinDIN!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2016 @ 11:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Fess - 03 July 2016 12:47 PM

Excellent, it worked! Thanks so much man.

You’re welcome - I’m glad you got things resolved.

Fess -

I’ll try not to bombard you with questions in the future. I have 2 instructional DVDs to review for the Motif XF so hopefully I won’t need to harass you again:)

No problem - feel free to harass me again, if needed.  ;-)

Fess -

Take it easy 5pinDIN!

I’ll try to!  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2016 @ 06:31 PM
Fess
Joined  08-01-2008
5pinDIN - 03 July 2016 11:01 PM
Fess - 03 July 2016 12:47 PM

Excellent, it worked! Thanks so much man.

You’re welcome - I’m glad you got things resolved.

Fess -

I’ll try not to bombard you with questions in the future. I have 2 instructional DVDs to review for the Motif XF so hopefully I won’t need to harass you again:)

No problem - feel free to harass me again, if needed.  ;-)

Fess -

Take it easy 5pinDIN!

I’ll try to!  :-)

Hey 5pinDIN

Well, here I am again lol.

I’ll just ask...Been looking through the reference manual since the vids don’t explain this one.

Now that I have my drum samples on FL1 and loaded into RAM, I am attempting to add these new sounds to my own UDR. Is this possible?

Basically, I’m trying to create my own kit with some XF sounds and some from my sample collections. I thought since they are now stored on FL1, I could load them to RAM and then from there add them to my drum kit by choosing the key (which has a drum sound) and replacing the sound already there, or layer it if that’s possible using elements.

Am I way of course here or is this in the realm of possibility?

Thanks dude:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2016 @ 06:56 PM
Fess
Joined  08-01-2008

No worries, I got it dude. Went into element edit and we’re good!

Take it easy:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2016 @ 07:41 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Fess - 04 July 2016 06:56 PM

No worries, I got it dude. Went into element edit and we’re good!

Take it easy:)

OK, but for a Drum Kit, there’s “Key Edit”, not Element Edit.
See page 87 of the XF Reference Manual.

The Waveforms on FL1 can be used directly, no need to copy to SDRAM. However, if you need to edit any User Waveforms, they would have to be copied there first - when done, they can be copied back to the flash module.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2016 @ 06:37 AM
Pablo
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-12-2012

I have a question on this said topic if anyone can help. I imported some samples from usb to various keys within a drum kit but i tried to add another sample and it only play just a little part of it. nevertheless the sample plays well on C3 but on G1 where i want it to be it just a small part of it plays.
i know i’m doing something wrong but i just can figure it out.

These samples are stored on my FL1 so they play if i turn the board off and on again, i have samples stores from C1 to F1 and a cut off key on F#. so i’m trying to put another sample on G1.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha FW Driver Dropping.
Next Topic:

MIDI in Pattern Mode ››