mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Melas Librarian and MOXF?"

Posted on: June 17, 2016 @ 08:48 AM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

Anyone use Melas Librarian tool connected to thei MOXF?  I assumed it would work with my MOXF, I have used it with my XF7 for a long time.  I have a recent Yamaha USB driver installed.  I connect to my MacBook to my MOXF but Librarian wouldn’t recognize my MOXF was connected.

I sent the question to John, wondered if anyone else had the experience of problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2016 @ 12:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I don’t have a MOXF, and I don’t use the Melas software. However, isn’t there a separate version of the Total Librarian for each model? As far as I know, any version will read and convert file data from the other models, but connecting is different.

You could download the MOXF bundle…
http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/bundle.php
You should be able to connect with it, within limits of demo mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2016 @ 01:31 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

Hey, you could be right, thanks amigo!  looking closer at his website i see he has separate purchase bundles/options for XF vs MOXF.  cool, I’ll have to add the moXF versions. 

but if XF vs moXF Librarian app is different ... hmmm ... I’ll have to ask him if there is a way to copy single Voices and Performances between XF and moXF.  I finished scrubbing my XF, deleting unwanted Voices and unused waveforms.  Moved everything I need into User 1-3, Perf 1-2, I recompiled a new slimmed All File, reformatted my Flash and reloaded it into my XF thursday, and then loaded it in the MOXF last night.  All went great, now I’m in synch between XF to moXF with only 270MB Flash used (700+ MB available on FL1024, 1.7MB on the Mutec FMC-07).

But now I have to modify some User Performances and Voices in moXF (61 keys vs 76).  Once I do, I can’t transfer another ALL file between the boards again, I’ll overwrite these moXF-specific adjustments.  I want to be able to just transfer new V & Ps as I develop them (e.g. for new songs we perform).

I can load a single user Voice from an All file but firmware doesn’t give option to load a single Performance. Even with V, drag/drop in his apps is quicker easier.  we’ll see if copying a V or P between Libraries is possible. i’m guessing maybe not, will report back what I learn.

Maybe Yamaha Editors can be used for this?  I never even installed them for my XF, havent used them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2016 @ 02:52 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
motidave - 17 June 2016 01:31 PM

I can load a single user Voice from an All file but firmware doesn’t give option to load a single Performance....

Yes it will, but choices offered are context sensitive.  From Bad_Mister in This Thread:

(jerrydpi)
I don’t understand that instruction :)

Let’s say I load a File that has (1) Performance and I Store it in a User bank.

I then go to another File that has (2) Original Performances on it.

I’ll load that File but wont it overwrite the Performances/Files I had just loaded/stored on the previous Performance before?

(Bad_Mister)
Only if you use the Load ALL function
To load the second and third simply set the Load TYPE = performance
(As the name implies this will allow you selectively load a single Performance and to target a dingle location in your internal memory. ALL loads all and replaces all. PERFORMANCE allows you to select and load a single Performance)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2016 @ 04:53 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

cool, I didn’t think i could.  But Ref Manual notes I can load a single Performance from a X6A file.  I’ll be coming over with an X3A (XF) file, will test if I can or not.  Ref manual states X3A compatibility, it doesn’t get specific if all the loading options (e.g. 1 Performance or 1 Voice) are available.

That will help alot as Plan B if I can’t use Librarian, thanks!  I suspect having two separate Librarian instances open, 1 XF and 1 MOXF, might not allow copy/paste between the two.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2016 @ 11:38 AM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

FYI all - I got this from Phil over at yamahasynth that I did not know:

is there a different USB driver for moXF vs XF?

Indeed there is, very different.

http://download.yamaha.com

The MOXF uses the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver, which a completely different driver from the Motif XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2016 @ 01:36 PM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011

You definitely need the MOXF version of the Melas tools to work with an MOXF - each keyboard has different system exclusive messages that the software uses to communicate and dump data back and forth.

I don’t think you can drag/drop or copy/paste from the MOXF Librarian to the XF Librarian or vice versa, but you can definitely import the Voices and Performances from one to the other. (The Melas tools are great and the ability to convert from one keyboard to another is priceless, I would not be able to support all the different Yamaha synths in my software without them.)

- Stephen Kay
KARMA Developer :: karma-lab.com
Check out the KARMA Motif Software for 6 Yamaha synths!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2016 @ 01:42 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

Thanks for your input, Stephen.  I agree (from my XF years), his tools are essential. 

how do you transfer Voices and Performances between XF and moXF, if not using Librarian?  (curious, you could save me hours of learning :))

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2016 @ 04:57 PM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011

Well, let’s see - been awhile since I had to do this, although I’m going to be doing it again very soon as I’m working on a set of expansion KARMA Performances for the KARMA Motif software and eventually I have to put them into XF, XS, MOXF, MOX and s70/s90XS formats - not to mention Rack-XS sysex.

You do use the Librarians. If I remember correctly, it’s as simple as:

Save the XF Total Librarian file.

In the MOXF Librarian, from the File Menu, select “Import Total Library” and locate the XF Total Library file. The XF stuff is then converted to MOXF format as it is read in, and you save it then as an MOXF TL file, and send it to your MOXF.

- Stephen Kay
KARMA Developer :: karma-lab.com
Check out the KARMA Motif Software for 6 Yamaha synths!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2016 @ 12:05 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

motidave - 17 June 2016 08:48 AM

Anyone use Melas Librarian tool connected to thei MOXF?  I assumed it would work with my MOXF, I have used it with my XF7 for a long time.  I have a recent Yamaha USB driver installed.  I connect to my MacBook to my MOXF but Librarian wouldn’t recognize my MOXF was connected.

I sent the question to John, wondered if anyone else had the experience of problem?

I’m using Melas Tools since I have bought Motif ES. I have also Rack XS and MOXF and tools for all devices. Total librarian is a must if you want to keep your voices, performances and masters and to manipulate with them easily. I have also installed Total librarian for Motif XS and XF (demo modes) in order to load free libraries and to move them to MOXF. I know that in demo mode I could not save to/from keyboard, but since I don’t have XS and XF it is not s problem for me.
If you are dealing with lot of performances, Melas tools is the easiest and simplest way for saving separate performances and to combine different ones into the user bank in keyboard.
For Rack XS, it is the only way to save all 128 Multis at once and not to save one by one as you should using Yamaha editor.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2016 @ 01:49 PM
e.laforge
Total Posts:  41
Joined  02-03-2016

I don’t quite understand the pricing policy though.
I have all of his tools for the ES, and I might be getting a MOXF in the future. so in my case, a extra purchase might be inevitable.

while I understand the tools for the ES are different to the tools for the XS/XF (as clearly shown on the Melas webpage), it’s absurd to spend another 100 quids for MOXF tools when you already have licensed the XF tools.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2016 @ 02:39 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
e.laforge - 04 July 2016 01:49 PM

I don’t quite understand the pricing policy though.
I have all of his tools for the ES, and I might be getting a MOXF in the future. so in my case, a extra purchase might be inevitable.

while I understand the tools for the ES are different to the tools for the XS/XF (as clearly shown on the Melas webpage), it’s absurd to spend another 100 quids for MOXF tools when you already have licensed the XF tools.

Based on…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470395/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476982/
...it might be worthwhile contacting John Melas, since it appears that pricing accommodations are sometimes made.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How to make a voice pulsate
Next Topic:

Have you created any good layers? ››