mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "ANOTHER FLASH EXPANSION BOARD QUESTION"

Posted on: June 10, 2016 @ 03:50 PM
Jeff R 50
Total Posts:  159
Joined  01-11-2014

Hi again,

I ordered a 512 MB flash expansion card (all I could afford right now) for my MOXF8.  The instructions for installing the sound libraries states that loading these libraries will overwrite ALL user banks including ALL Performances, Songs and Patterns.  I don’t understand this.  Does this mean that not I will not be able to use any of the 64 user Song and 64 user Pattern banks anymore after I install sound libraries on the keyboard? Will I also lose all the Yamaha factory installed Performances too? I must be missing something here (like brains perhaps).  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2016 @ 04:06 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

This only occurs when you LOAD and ALL file AS and ALL file, so don’t plan to do that. 

Paraphrased from This Thread in the Motif XF Forum:

When you LOAD an entire ALL file, it will overwrite all USER data in the machine with whatever is contained within that file.

You want to LOAD just the BANK of VOICES that contains the new VOICES you’re after.

See 1Bank Voice on page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

The key thing to remember:  You must specify both the BANK of VOICES you wish to LOAD from the file AND the BANK location you wish to place those VOICES in.

Actually, most of what you are asking was discussed in your other thread.  Could you be more specific about what is not clear?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2016 @ 05:15 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thanks cmayhle, I guess what threw me was when I read about loading the libraries (.ALL files as you stated) and how they would overwrite the user Song and Pattern areas.  I just couldn’t figure out why a voice library would use up basically what I thought was specific space allotted for sequencer memory.  We didn’t really cover that particular aspect in depth in the other thread.  You’ll have to excuse me, I’m a bit of slow learner with this stuff.  I appreciate your reply :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2016 @ 05:40 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

If you load an ALL file, it will overwrite all of your user data: thats all Voices, Performances, Masters, Songs, System settings, etc.  I recommend loading only the Voices you want - especially as you are getting the 512MB flash.  its not as easy as just one button “ALL” but you’ll consume your flash board with waveforms you don’t ever want to use and not be able to load new ones you actually could use.  512 will be gone very quickly.

Also, if you only load Voices you will not overwrite Masters, Songs etc you have saved.  I rarely find Performances in these 3rd party libraries usable for what I want anyway, but you might find use so I won’t tell you to never load them.  I just don’t find them of use personally.  I build my own from the Voices.

You should ALWAYS save a backup of what you have on your current board before loading anything.  It only takes a minute if you don’t save waveform data (you don’t have any yet).

Melas has great tools for managing yoru onboard content - one is Librarian that allows you to manage your Voice, Performance, Song and Master collections easily.  Makes it easy to reload voices you want after you import a new library.  Many of us use his tools.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2016 @ 07:47 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Jeff R 50 - 10 June 2016 05:15 PM

...I just couldn’t figure out why a voice library would use up basically what I thought was specific space allotted for sequencer memory.  We didn’t really cover that particular aspect in depth in the other thread....

Let me state it this way:  An ALL file is essentially the entire user data that a MOXF contains.  There is “something” in every single USER slot in an ALL file...even if it is just a “blank” initialized or “empty” VOICE.  There is something in every single SONG slot...even if it is NOTHING!  That “nothing” will wipe out whatever SONG you have in that slot if you just LOAD the ALL file without being selective.

When you LOAD an ALL file in its entirety...even if all you want are the VOICES in it...then naturally, it will overwrite all of the USER data in all of the USER data storage locations...including the System settings!

So, while LOADING the entire ALL file is the simplest way to LOAD, it is also completely un-selective when it comes to your USER data.  It replaces ALL of it

Therefore, LOAD only what you actually want to overwrite.  Only the VOICES in VOICE USER BANK 2, for example.  Then you will not be overwriting the SONGS in your sequencer memory, or the PERFORMANCES in their USER BANKS.

And as has been advised, ALWAYS back up your USER status with a SAVED ALL file before changing anything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2016 @ 08:15 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thanks cmayhle and motidave.  I do believe I’m starting to understand the concepts of this now.  Very much appreciated information.  I should have the card next week and if I run into trouble working with it, I’ll probably rear my ugly head back on this forum looking for help.  I do wish I could have afforded the larger card but I am only looking for a few specific voices to add to my MOXF8 anyway so hopefully, the 512 MB will work okay (for now).  Thanks guys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2016 @ 06:27 AM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Okay here’s another question. This should be an easy one.  Do you have to format a USB thumb drive directly from the MOXF before copying any Musicsoft sound libraries onto it from your computer, or will the sound libraries read okay on the MOXF without having to format it from the keyboard?  When I have backed up my MOXF user songs and patterns in the past onto a USB thumb drive I did not have to format it first so I don’t know if it’s required when loading files to the flash module.  Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2016 @ 06:54 AM
blafot
Total Posts:  105
Joined  05-04-2015

What I know you can use a preformtted usb without problem.
For me its only when updating firmware it has to be formatted in moxf or it does not find update file.
For saving and loading files it works using preformtted or formatted in Windows.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2016 @ 09:24 AM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

I’ve read for years that you have to be careful to get a usb stick compatible to Yamaha.  I’ve used whatever stick I had over the years, I’ve use maybe five diff ones and irs always worked no problem.

Just test what you have, don’t go buy one unless you need to

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2016 @ 01:37 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thanks blafot and motidave, Thats kind of what I thought too but since the sound library instructions stated “you must format the USB stick in the MOFX” I just wanted to check.  I appreciate your replies.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Flash Board Expansion Questions
Next Topic:

Problem with MOXF8 Stereo Output ››