mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Flash Board Expansion Questions"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 01:47 PM
Jeff R 50
Total Posts:  159
Joined  01-11-2014

Hello,

I have a couple questions about using a Flash expansion module on my MOXF8.  I have become pretty comfortable with most tasks and features on the MOXF at this point (after a very long learning curve) but I have been avoiding installing a expansion board but now I would like to give it a go.  My questions are:

First of all, Will the 512K board have enough memory to install at least 3 or 4 Yamaha Musicsoft libraries?  For example: I was thinking of the “Inspiration In A Flash”, “Virtual Pianos”, “CP1 Pianos” and perhaps the “PSC Songwriters Collection” too (although I’m not exactly sure what that one is). I know I could eventually eliminate some voices but wouldn’t they would all have to be loaded first to try them out?

Also, when you load up these libraries, where do they populate on the keyboard?  Can you create a separate user-defined directory or do they automatically intermingle with the existing sound file categories?  I assume they will not write over any existing voices will they?

Finally, how are they labelled once they are loaded? Are the voice names titled in such a way to distinguish them from the existing factory installed MOXF voices?

Thank you very much in advance for the assistance.

Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 02:06 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Have you ever LOADED any new VOICES that use internal native sounds of the MOXF?  Libraries with new sample data work exactly the same way...they just use different (new) sounds.

I don’t know the size question about those particular libraries, but YES, you will be overwriting USER VOICES in the machine with any new VOICES.

The new VOICES can be LOADED singly or as complete BANKS, and yes they are within the same area as all other USER VOICES in USER BANKS (Pre-Sets are separate and safe), and they have their own unique names like all VOICES do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 02:32 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Hi Cmayhle, long time no talk : )

I have not loaded or created any new voices at all.  I just assumed you could only do that if you had an expansion board installed.  I guess I am not that advanced when it comes to this aspect of the MOXF world.

Since I have not loaded any User Voices, then I believe what you are saying is that loading new libraries onto a expansion card will not overwrite anything is that correct?

If the new library voices load into the existing appropriate instrument categories then I don’t fully understand why they would overwrite a User Voice (even if I had any created).  How are these connected?

Thanks buddy.

Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 02:42 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Jeff R 50 - 07 June 2016 02:32 PM

...Since I have not loaded any User Voices, then I believe what you are saying is that loading new libraries onto a expansion card will not overwrite anything is that correct?

If the new library voices load into the existing appropriate instrument categories then I don’t fully understand why they would overwrite a User Voice (even if I had any created).  How are these connected?....

VOICES do not get LOADED to Flash Modules...only the sample data get LOADED to the Flash.

VOICES get LOADED to USER VOICE locations in the machine.  Your USER VOICE BANKS are populated with duplicates of the Pre-Set VOICES from the factory, and any new VOICES will overwrite these VOICES in the locations the new VOICES are directed to.

You may find This Thread helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 02:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 07 June 2016 02:06 PM

[...]I don’t know the size question about those particular libraries, but YES, you will be overwriting USER VOICES in the machine with any new VOICES.[...]

Exactly - Inspiration in a Flash (IiaF) would alone overwrite all of the User Voice locations, if loaded in entirety.

IiaF, CP1 Piano, and Virtual Pianos are sample libraries - PSC Collection is not (it uses internal ROM samples). Installation of all of the samples from those libraries would require nearly 800 MB of space.

You might want to consider getting a flash module larger than 512MB. Even so, you’ll probably fully load each library in order to choose which of the Voices you find most desirable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 02:52 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

You may consider purchasing This Product.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 03:18 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thanks Cmayhle and 5pinDIN, I appreciate the info very much.  Yeah I was afraid the 512 card wouldn’t be large enough but I really didn’t want to spend $300 for the larger card.  With memory being so cheap in all other areas of digital media I was hoping the costs of these cards would start to come down by now but they have not.  I guess it’s because of them being Yamaha proprietary and there’s no comparable competitive product out there.

Is there any place where a person could actually hear all the sound samples of a particular library before loading all of them?  That might help keep the memory usage under control.

5pinDIN, why are there duplicate factory voices loaded to the User Voice locations?  Is that just for backup reasons or just so they could put something in there to fill up the space? 

Cmayhle: I am planning on getting the MOXF In’N’Out DVD so thanks for that link too.

Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 03:28 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Jeff R 50 - 07 June 2016 03:18 PM

...With memory being so cheap in all other areas of digital media I was hoping the costs of these cards would start to come down by now but they have not.  I guess it’s because of them being Yamaha proprietary and there’s no comparable competitive product out there....

Well, yes there is a Competitive Product.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 03:38 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

So I see, thanks.  They are asking $250 for the Mutec 1GB card.  I also just found the Yamaha one on Amazon for the same price.  I guess that’s better than $300 : )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 03:39 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Jeff R 50 - 07 June 2016 03:18 PM

[...]With memory being so cheap in all other areas of digital media I was hoping the costs of these cards would start to come down by now but they have not.  I guess it’s because of them being Yamaha proprietary and there’s no comparable competitive product out there.

Here’s a link to the Mutec 1GB flash module…
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/xf-accessories/1gb-mutec-flash.html
...and since it’s over $200, it ships for free.

Jeff R 50 -

5pinDIN, why are there duplicate factory voices loaded to the User Voice locations?  Is that just for backup reasons or just so they could put something in there to fill up the space?

There has to be something in each User location. I suppose Yamaha thought copies of the Presets would be better than 384 Initialized Voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 03:43 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

5pinDIN, if you had to choose between the Yamaha brand 1GB board and the Mutec brand one for the same price, which one would you recommend?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 04:28 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Jeff R 50 - 07 June 2016 03:43 PM

5pinDIN, if you had to choose between the Yamaha brand 1GB board and the Mutec brand one for the same price, which one would you recommend?

I respect Yamaha products, but in this case I don’t think it makes much (if any) difference. Mutec apparently uses the same chips as Yamaha, and the Mutec modules seem to have earned a reputation for reliability. I personally have Yamaha modules in my XF, but that’s only because at the time I got them Yamaha was the only source. I’ve been considering getting larger flash modules, and if so they will be Mutec 2GB ones.

Of course, if you purchase a Mutec module from Motifator, that will help support the forum here. However, other than wanting to see this forum survive, I have no interest in what or where you buy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 04:42 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

OK thank you (and Cmayhle) for all the valuable info as always.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2016 @ 01:56 AM
jg666
Total Posts:  178
Joined  11-15-2015

Can the MOXF make use of the 2GB module are is it limited to 1GB ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2016 @ 02:02 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
jg666 - 08 June 2016 01:56 AM

See the post from B.Minor on the last page of This Thread.

And while you are there, reading the entire thread would probably be useful to you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2016 @ 02:24 AM
jg666
Total Posts:  178
Joined  11-15-2015
cmayhle - 08 June 2016 02:02 AM
jg666 - 08 June 2016 01:56 AM

See the post from B.Minor on the last page of This Thread.

And while you are there, reading the entire thread would probably be useful to you!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2