mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Weird behavior switching modes at will"

Posted on: June 06, 2016 @ 08:11 PM
bombaycharlie
Total Posts:  20
Joined  12-15-2003

Hi all, love me ES 6 and am now starting to have some issues. It has stayed in my studio since I bought it new all those years ago. WHen I turned it on tonight, it went from Performance mode to Voice mode all by itself. It also would switch out of Pattern mode while I was trying to work out a song, and go right to Voice mode again.

While trying to mix a pattern the volume for my track 9 kept getting re-set to a fixed value, not where I started it.

I started with a clean sequence with all default settings.

Is there a battery that needs to be replaced on the circuit board that needs replacing?

Could that be causing the strange behavior?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Charlie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2016 @ 11:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Contrary to information I’ve seen in various places, the ES has no battery.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/motif_es/729/8990

Even if the ES had a battery, problems such as you’ve experienced wouldn’t relate to its condition.

Is your ES connected via MIDI to a computer or other gear? If so, try disconnecting it and see if the problems persist.

I’ve sometimes seen strange mode switching happen on units that have been subjected to spills or are kept in areas of very high humidity.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 09:40 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Is there an authorized Yamaha service center near where you live? You should take it there and have it looked at.

I had weird behavior like that with my ES and it was fixed by installing a new power supply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 03:04 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
meatballfulton - 07 June 2016 09:40 AM

[...]I had weird behavior like that with my ES and it was fixed by installing a new power supply.

Certainly a possibility. The ES was in production during a time period when electrolytic capacitors were manufactured that are prone to fail.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ AC POWER CORD
Next Topic:

ES + PLG150-DX combi presets ››