mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Song Creating Question"

Posted on: May 30, 2016 @ 07:38 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hi! I am in the process of writing a song, and I have some questions about the recording process.

What I want to do is record verse 1, and then chorus 1. Then, I want to be able to copy verse 1 into verse 2, and then copy the chorus. I would be copying only the melody line, which is all that I would record until I was done with the copying. How would I do this?

Thanks!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2016 @ 07:42 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

This sort of thing is what PATTERN Mode was created for.  To what extent are you familiar with PATTERN Mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2016 @ 09:38 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

I am somewhat familiar with Pattern Mode, as I have created several patterns for animation backing tracks. I was going to put this in my original post, but thought that I would be overlooking something.  In the manual, it says that in Pattern Mode, you cannot record melodies. I need to have a seamless transition between sections, with fills, as well as the ability to record the other tracks non-stop, without breaking them into sections. I can elaborate further, if you would like.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2016 @ 10:14 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 30 May 2016 09:38 PM

[...]In the manual, it says that in Pattern Mode, you cannot record melodies.[...]

???

You could create Pattern Sections, then a Pattern Chain, convert it to a Song, and then record other tracks in Song mode.

See pages 41-45 of the XF Owner’s Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2016 @ 11:11 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Mighty Motif Max - 30 May 2016 09:38 PM

...I need to have a seamless transition between sections, with fills, as well as the ability to record the other tracks non-stop, without breaking them into sections. I can elaborate further, if you would like....-Max

In your original post, you discussed copying verses/choruses from one place to another.  Any melodic phrase that is discreet enough to copy and paste from one location to another, is discreet enough to record as a PATTERN Section.

In addition to the techniques outlined by 5pinDIN, keep in mind that a PATTERN Section can be any length required to maintain a clean “starting” and “stopping” point.  If your “verse” requires 13 measures of seamless melody before it takes a natural ‘breath’, then you can create a 13 measure PATTERN Section...and simply repeat that Section where the second verse wants to be.

Any song that has discreet, repeating parts...which are able to be copied and pasted...is at the very least a candidate for development within a PATTERN, for the ease of duplicating repetitive sections that PATTERN Mode offers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2016 @ 12:33 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Hi there,

Sounds like this could be helpful:

Music Production With Motif

This video is also available as a DVD in the Motifator Shop.

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2016 @ 07:13 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

5PINDIN: I evidently misunderstood the paragraph on the top of page 43 in the owner’s manual, “In these instructions you’ll learn how to assign each of the created Pattern Phrases to the Section. arrange the Sections in your favorite order to create the Pattern Chain, and convert the Pattern Chain to a Song. This converted Song data can be used as backing accompaniment for Melody recording. I thought that this meant that backing tracks are the only thing that you can record well.

cmayhle: Maybe my real sub-conscious question was how to create a very clean, discreet part that than be looped without being obvious.

MrMotif: The video may or may not be helpful.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Loading Voice LIbraries in Flash
Next Topic:

MOXF8 as a controller for Mainstage ››