mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Breath Controller from a DX7….."

Posted on: April 20, 2016 @ 08:58 AM
blafot
Total Posts:  105
Joined  05-04-2015

Hi.

I used to play a lot with my BC1 from my DX7 MKI together with my CME UF8. It had a BC input. Worked GREAT!
Now I use my MOXF and miss the BC1 and I’m to lazy to have my DX with me only for BC.

I use a exp pedal and found this workaround to make a BC work with a Kurzweil from the 80:s… I’m gonna try to make one and test it in the Controller of my MOXF. Maybe it works…

Of course I’m gonna try it first on an older synth if something will break…

I know how to make it but I dont know all about electrics so…

What do you thing? Can it work?

I’m also thinking of a MIDI CPU from http://www.highlyliquid.com/.

Heres the thing I’m gonna try. What do You think?
http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/studio/keyboards/kurzweil_midiboard/yamaha-breath-controller.jpg

/M

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2016 @ 10:08 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

I have BC3a and I was also disapointed when I realized that newer Yamaha synths don’t have breath controller input. I could never produce the same expressiveness with expression pedal like with breath controller. I have bought MIDI Solution Breath Controller and I’m satisfied. It accept both BC3 and older BC2 models. You should ask them if it accept also yours BC1.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2016 @ 10:20 AM
blafot
Joined  05-04-2015

Hi.
Yes, I know about midi solutions. My first choices would be breath and bite controller or ewi USB but… Then I have to carry my computer with Me.
I have all the stuff to make this at Home and hope it will work, it will be a quick and cheap fix.

Magnus

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2016 @ 05:15 AM
blafot
Joined  05-04-2015

Hi.

Now I have built the special cable and tested on a Roland using my BC1 and Rolands expression pedal input. Worked great! Will test it on my DX7, at the expression pedal input) and more on the Roland before I hook it up to my precious MOXF8.

A quick, cheap and easy fix if you have a BC1,2 or 3 laying around. You can not use expression pedal and this at the same time cause it uses the same input.

15 min soldering and some parts thats was laying around in the basebent…

The midi cpu seems intresting… Then I can use this as a controller and set it to send CC#2 and I can hook up a lot of other stuff. Maybe a ribbon? A axelerometer? A lot of wxpressions etc....

Maybe some fun project in the future. Right now I’m happy to not have to carry my DX7 and… I spend some money.

Have a nice day!
/M

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2016 @ 09:36 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
blafot - 22 April 2016 05:15 AM

Hi.

Now I have built the special cable and tested on a Roland using my BC1 and Rolands expression pedal input. Worked great! Will test it on my DX7, at the expression pedal input) and more on the Roland before I hook it up to my precious MOXF8.[...]

A typical expression pedal jack is a TRS type wired so that the reference voltage is at the ring terminal and the control voltage connection is at the tip, with the sleeve grounded. So it’s not surprising that the circuit worked with a Roland.

However, Yamaha isn’t typical - the tip connection has the reference voltage, and the A/D input is connected to the ring. For use with your MOXF, you should use a TRS plug in place of the TS in the Retrosynth diagram, and move what’s connected to the tip to the ring instead.

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2016 @ 09:47 AM
blafot
Joined  05-04-2015

Thank you 5PinDin.

I will give it a try next weekend.

Do you mean that I should switch what I have now or use a stereo plug and Connecticut whats now on shield to tip and whars now on tip to ring and nothing on the shield?

I will also use a trimpot to lower the output cause it can output 6,5 volts when I blow hard. Midi is 5v and I dont know if its to much.

/M

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2016 @ 10:12 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
blafot - 22 April 2016 09:47 AM

Thank you 5PinDin.

I will give it a try next weekend.

You’re welcome.

blafot -

Do you mean that I should switch what I have now or use a stereo plug and Connecticut whats now on shield to tip and whars now on tip to ring and nothing on the shield?

You need to use a TRS ("stereo") plug, and connect what’s now on tip to ring. The sleeve/shield connection remains as is. The tip should have nothing connected.

If you want to use the circuit with both the Roland (etc.) and Yamaha synths, you could add a SPDT switch, selecting the output connection to either tip or ring.

blafot -

I will also use a trimpot to lower the output cause it can output 6,5 volts when I blow hard. Midi is 5v and I dont know if its to much.

There’s no relation to MIDI. Yamaha pedal inputs have some protection against excessive voltage, but if too high the control range will “top out”, and blowing harder won’t cause any further change. If you find that happens, limiting the output voltage is a good idea.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2016 @ 11:19 AM
blafot
Joined  05-04-2015

Ok. Ah. I got it.

Will resolder the contakts when Im back from a trip to se a consert.
On roland it worked Perfect and there is a adjustment pot inside the bc1 so when you say that the pedal input is protected I guess Im not going to put a trimpot if its not needed. Easy to do if…
Thanx for your help again 5pinDIN.

/M

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2017 @ 11:24 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Those interested in this project should see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478671/

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Creating my own arpeggios on MOXF