mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mix , Edit, Store, File/Save but playing reverts to something else ! Why"

Posted on: March 14, 2016 @ 03:25 PM
jseise
Total Posts:  45
Joined  02-13-2003

I saved a midi song into my Motif 7. I used the Song [Mix]{edit} commands and changed to the instruments I really wanted. I use [Store] and [file/save] but....when I do [play] it immediately reverts to incorrect voices. Why?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2016 @ 04:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

That can happen if there is Program Change data embedded in the original file. One way of dealing with that is to use the Event List to find and delete anything unwanted. See the Motif Owner’s Manual, Song Edit Mode, starting on page 189. Program Change is covered on page 191, and use of the Event View Filter, which can make finding Program Change events much easier, is on page 192.

Also, a GM (General MIDI) file might have a GM reset command embedded. You might find this support article interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/a_short_tutorial_creating_proper_gm_files
If you don’t need to have GM compatibility, removing such a command might be something you’d want to do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2016 @ 05:42 PM
jseise
Total Posts:  45
Joined  02-13-2003

Great!  Thanks for the advise!  In separation, I did the [SONG][EDIT][INSERT] combination and inserted the correct instruments {hint: it doesn’t always work the way you think it will so....as the saying goes....try, try again!
This seems so archaic when using the Mac version of Finale 2014xxx. I used to use Finale, Cakewalk and the instruments were easily loaded without any problems. That’s why I was hesitant to switch to MAC though I do love it despite the headaches.  Any ideas on better writing and production software (cakewalk longer works on this thing)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2016 @ 06:41 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The original Motif, ES and MO created what is called a phrase header in the sequencer data. This literally remembers what voice you used when you first recorded on each track. Later models do not do this, thank goodness…

When you want to change voices on a sequencer track, do the following:

1. Select the track and change the voice in the mixing to what you want.
2. Press Record and select the type as Overdub.
3. Press Stop.
4. Save!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Battery in my Motif 7
Next Topic:

Lost programmed voices in Motif Classic ››