mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF with Logic Pro X: any issues?"

Posted on: February 24, 2016 @ 01:45 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I’m considering moving to Logic Pro X.

Remote Mode was baked into Motifs over a decade ago with the Classic while Logic has been though many revisions since then.

Any gotchas I should be aware of?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 08:41 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

huh.... I must have missed this post.
Logic Pro X is only used here for stereo tracks and it’s mix-down enhancements as a comparison,
nothing much else.
I’m not much of a midi notes editor. All the music is arranged and ready to go as audio into an Aiff for mastering house and their fresh set of ears at that point. :)
It’s interesting the sonic resonance of different Daw’s.

Let us know what you find out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 11:29 AM
MapleCarbine
Total Posts:  40
Joined  12-11-2015
Make_A_JOYful_Noise - 16 June 2016 08:41 AM

Logic Pro X is only used here for stereo tracks and it’s mix-down enhancements as a comparison,
nothing much else.
I’m not much of a midi notes editor. All the music is arranged and ready to go as audio into an Aiff for mastering house and their fresh set of ears at that point. :)

Please could you explain what “It’s interesting the sonic resonance of different Daw’s” means

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 12:00 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
MapleCarbine - 16 June 2016 11:29 AM

nothing much else.

Please could you explain what “It’s interesting the sonic resonance of different Daw’s” means

Thank you.

As far as I know MapleCarbine, sonic resonance doesn’t exist as a scientific audio term, but, if you look around the internet, you will see people trying to boil water and even levitate using what they call “sonic resonance”.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 12:12 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

When compared to what the Motif XF produces from connecting a USB device to the back, that .wav is very empty with what we ‘round here refer to as
“Sonic Resonance”. :)
There probably is a more formal ‘audio’ name for this sound after mix-down.

Each DAW produces a different mix down sound. We use Logic and Cubase.
With a set of fine headphones on it’s apparent.
Actually, I heard Steinberg use the word SONIC when referencing ...Halion.

Resonance
----
ADDED
...maybe Acoustic and Resonance ;-)
(that’s 15 minutes I’ll not get back :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 12:34 PM
MapleCarbine
Joined  12-11-2015
philwoodmusic - 16 June 2016 12:00 PM
MapleCarbine - 16 June 2016 11:29 AM

nothing much else.

Thank you.

As far as I know MapleCarbine, sonic resonance doesn’t exist as a scientific audio term, but, if you look around the internet, you will see people trying to boil water and even levitate using what they call “sonic resonance”.

Cheers

Thanks for the clarification Phil.

Good to see you’re around still, I haven’t seen you post in a long time and trust me on this, your often lengthy posts here got me using Logic nicely, and very quickly.

All the best to you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 12:40 PM
MapleCarbine
Joined  12-11-2015
Make_A_JOYful_Noise - 16 June 2016 12:12 PM

When compared to what the Motif XF produces from connecting a USB device to the back, that .wav is very empty with what we ‘round here refer to as
“Sonic Resonance”. :)
There probably is a more formal ‘audio’ name for this sound after mix-down.

Each DAW produces a different mix down sound. We use Logic and Cubase.
With a set of fine headphones on it’s apparent.
Actually, I heard Steinberg use the word SONIC when referencing ...Halion.

Resonance
----
ADDED
...maybe Acoustic and Resonance ;-)
(that’s 15 minutes I’ll not get back :)

I see, you made up your own term for something only you experience.

Because Steinberg uses the word Sonic in an unrelated product title, then that backs up what you’re saying for sure.

Thirdly, you’ve linked us in to a page about acoustic resonance, which is also unrelated.

Sorry, I’m not with you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 12:50 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

Sorry.
I guess we just noticed.

“Some hear, others listen,
... and some poor folks can’t do either”
:)

Run the comparison.
Btw, I think Logic X is worth the money.

Cheers!

added;
This has been fun, but gotta run. Just too busy ‘round here at lunch time, you know?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 03:04 PM
MapleCarbine
Joined  12-11-2015
Make_A_JOYful_Noise - 16 June 2016 12:50 PM

Sorry.
I guess we just noticed.

“Some hear, others listen,
... and some poor folks can’t do either”
:)

Run the comparison.
Btw, I think Logic X is worth the money.

Cheers!

added;
This has been fun, but gotta run. Just too busy ‘round here at lunch time, you know?

If you’re trying to troll the community then it was a nice effort, but a little bit sad on your part.

Why else would you post what I would call ‘non help’ in an old thread where the OP has very likely moved on.

By your own admission, you do not use Logic much, yet you feel compelled to post about it.

We’ve all seen what you are capable of on this forum over the years, the post-thread editing to appear to look better or correct after the storm has blown over and to change the balance of the discussion, the avoiding blame by saying that a girl is posting in your name and then the constant evasive nickname changing. Not to mention a very repugnant thread that exists way back in the mo lounge.

You’ve even edited your last post several times to dial back the mealy mouthed tone of it.

Sorry bro.

The stuff you posted on this thread is all in your head or just plain made up.  If you heard an audible difference, then you were just doing it wrong or your experiment was colored or biased somehow.

Also, if a DAW did sound different enough to hear, it would be documented and fixed.

You evidently have a lot to learn about audio production and its related technology.

I do too, but that’s life.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 04:46 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Guys,

This thread is insane, it’s also become a bit disrespectful to meatballfulton who posted for advice a long time ago and never got any!

Whilst I wouldn’t put it in such frank terms as MapleCarbine did, I agree with him. 

There is no evidence to suggest that either of those DAWs (or any other) sound audibly different and not acceptably transparent.

I do the experiment several times a year, when stuff gets sent to me in Cubase and Logic format and I need to print it to WAV to transfer it over to Pro Tools.

For those interested, I reckon I get sent between 200 and 300 multi tracks a year to work on and I would say that they come as Pro Tools 75% of the time, Logic around 20% of the time and Cubase (and other DAWs) for the rest.

You can consider the senders of those multi tracks to be from a cross section of North American and United Kingdom current chart music.  They are people with money and they have good advice or can simply buy it if they don’t.

The Pro Tools percentage I mentioned is somewhat off because people often will convert their Logic or Cubase or whatever session to Pro Tools before sending it because they know that the music industry works with Pro Tools and that it suits me and my colleagues more than anything else.  So you could reduce it a little bit.

There are some interesting trends concerning who uses what:

1 - Motif owners commonly use Cubase because Yamaha hook them on it by bundling it with their products and affording them certain capabilities that they do not offer to users of other DAWs.

2 - People who make Electronic or Dance music commonly use DAWs like Ableton or Presonus Studio 1.

3 - People with Apple computers commonly use Logic, but since you rarely see a Windows PC in studios, there’s a lot of Logic going on.

4 - Pro Tools is commonly used for mixing and tracking

I can tell you that the one thing that all of these products have in common is that they all sound alike and are transparent unless you want it otherwise.

There is simply no way that things automatically sound worse in a big way in Logic or in Cubase when you’re used to using another DAW.  Certainly not without additional processing or differences in hardware.

They’re all good products in that respect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 05:10 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

@Phil
So the ‘Audio Mixdown’ function of any DAW does not ‘enhance’ in any way differing from one daw to another? I’ll have to make that appointment to my Ear Nose and Throat Doc ;-)
@M.C.
And everyone is entitled to opinions, of things or people, disregarding of course how tactful or diplomatic they are not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 05:42 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Even without any processing or differences in hardware. there may well be differences, but nothing that isn’t either illusory or less than negligible and not easily understood. 

You described hearing an empty sound.  That’s quite a statement and observation.

I doubt you need an ENT, but you may have certain export preferences ticked which you do not have ticked in Cubase or they don’t exist in Cubase.  Normalize is a good culprit as is accidentally exporting to mp3 (easy to do on Logic)

As for the sound of your mix, it’s natural to make better sounding mixes with your preferred DAW, but that’s because of you and not the DAW.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2016 @ 06:38 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

When describing an ‘empty sound’ ; in our beginnings with the Motif XF was the USB port in the back of the board that makes .wav’s of songs. This was what we had used before Daw’s.
The word Empty should be ‘Bland’ instead. A bad selection of descriptive words.

Needing an ENT was humor, mine, I guess and only mine :)

I originally made certain I was not adding any compression as I had caught Cubase producing AIF-C (for compression) and at that point immediately switched to .WAV.

I don’t edit at the point of DAW be it audio or midi. When it arrives in the daw it is done as a song with exception of added audio tracks for backing vocals if any.
As I said early in this thread the daw is solely for use of the better sounding .wav or aiff (no C) in 24 bit to transfer to iTunes, add all the meta data, then sent out to the final destinations for mastering, ISRC encoding, meta data, and grace note, etc.
I’ve be writing and ‘Listening’ since 1975 but my Daw experience is only 5 years.
All the these procedures of ours are subject to change and of course, evolution.:)
We’re actually limiting ourselves to 16 tracks (Motif Sequencer) instead of the capacity any Daw offers.
Maybe one day a production budget will be left at Christmas time! ....or even from the tooth fairy!  ;-)

Cheers
ADDED;
Hey Meatball, I didn’t mean to be hijacking your post/thread not after all the advice and help I’ve received from you going back to 2011.
....didn’t notice the date of your original post. :(
Thanks man.

[ Ignore ]