mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "So.. Who is buying a Montage ?  and Who is not ? and who is still undecided ?"

Page 4 of 5
Posted on: February 01, 2016 @ 09:44 PM
davlippo7
Total Posts:  252
Joined  10-06-2010
moxrox - 01 February 2016 09:31 PM

Even though the Montage likely has an improved sound over the Notif XF, I can’t consider replacing my XF with a Montage because of all the music production features they dropped. I wouldn’t consider it as a second keyboard either, because there would be a lot of duplication. If I were to get a second keyboard, I would probably add a 61-key Kronos 2 and continue to use my XF8 as my primary keyboard.

Which makes total sense so where did the Yamaha market research go wrong? I’ve owned the Kronos, XS, XF, Tyros 4/5 but had to sell them all. I only have the CP1 and EX5r at the moment. If I could add only one more board, Kronos makes more sense when comparing features. That being said, if the Montage sounds 2x better, then I might go for the Montage. Quality of sound would be the number one determining factor as I don’t sample or sequence much but having that as an option would be nice. I’d have to buy a $400 to $500 laptop to go with the Montage. The whole purpose to the large 7” touch screen (Kronos is 8” BTW, not sure about resolution)is for editing. So after 50 years of tiny, can’t-touch-this Yamaha screens we finally get one but without a sampler and a real sequencer. Back-asswards to a certain degree.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2016 @ 12:38 PM
JoeESQ
Total Posts:  3
Joined  10-13-2013

I’m wondering if I kinda beat Yamaha to the punch getting my XF8 and a FS1r… :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2016 @ 04:26 PM
foleycore21
Total Posts:  37
Joined  01-14-2016
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2016 @ 07:33 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
davlippo7 - 01 February 2016 09:44 PM

Which makes total sense so where did the Yamaha market research go wrong?

It didn’t go wrong. Those of us who actually use the sequencer, sampler and Remote Mode are in the minority, that’s all.

When I bought my Motif ES in 2005, I wasn’t using a DAW yet. I was still using hardware recorders, although digital rather than tape by that time. The ES literally replaced my master keyboard, a few rack synths, a drum machine, four FX processors, a submixer and a MIDI patch bay. But it was still an all hardware setup, just it had been for the previous 15+ years.

I switched to a DAW...Ableton Live...in Dec. 2010 and in spring 2011 bought my XF. I did stop sampling with the Motif, way easier to do it in the DAW, but five years later I still haven’t weaned myself from the Motif sequencer.

If you look around, Roland’s current Fantom lineup is no longer their flagship and nothing like the previous Fantom X and G workstations. That leaves only Korg still waving the pro workstation flag.

I can understand that market shift but if I’m going to use the computer for all my sequencing and sampling, I might as well go in there for everything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2016 @ 08:24 PM
davlippo7
Total Posts:  252
Joined  10-06-2010

So did Korg introduce an even newer Kronos at Namm or was this the model from last year with the wooden end caps?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2016 @ 09:04 PM
kb420
Total Posts:  726
Joined  04-11-2004
davlippo7 - 04 February 2016 08:24 PM

So did Korg introduce an even newer Kronos at Namm or was this the model from last year with the wooden end caps?

It was actually the same Kronos with a different color.  It was a limited edition platinum colored Kronos 2.  However, they did just release a new OS, 3.0.4.  All of the new Kronos OS’s have been backwards compatible, so in other words, the original Kronos, Kronos X, and the Kronos 2 can all use the newest OS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 03:34 PM
Devnor
Total Posts:  34
Joined  08-23-2010

I’m buying an M7 in the fall. Primarily I want the Montage for the FM-X and possibilities afforded with motion control. FM-X is significantly more powerful and capable than the dated FM engine in Kronos.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 04:57 PM
kb420
Total Posts:  726
Joined  04-11-2004
Devnor - 06 February 2016 03:34 PM

I’m buying an M7 in the fall. Primarily I want the Montage for the FM-X and possibilities afforded with motion control. FM-X is significantly more powerful and capable than the dated FM engine in Kronos.

That’s true.  I don’t know if it is more powerful than the Matrix in NI’s FM8.  Remember, you will need a computer to sequence the Montage.  Why not use FM8?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 05:39 PM
benj00
Total Posts:  113
Joined  06-03-2011

I think the Montage is clearly aimed at the higher-end musician/producer/arranger who will be using one or more DAW’s and have an assortment of software and hardware to create sounds, sample, sequence, etc. The MOXF is clearly more popular for live use and casual keyboardists.

Lately I’ve been looking at it from the perspective of a carpenter/builder who depending on their clientele, specialty and schedule will have an assortment of different tools they might need to either work at home or “at a gig”. For example, you might have two table saws, one for portability and one for big jobs and ease of use.

Something else to consider is the lack of quality keyboard controllers on the market. For a casual user or non-keyboardist an M-audio or akai controller might suffice but for someone with a busier schedule (ie, using it every day for long stretches) and more sensitive touch, using a real keyboard not just for its sounds and functions, but also as midi control surface is pretty awesome. Being able to map the midi messages from the super knob in logic to some macros in Massive could be pretty fun.

Regarding FM8, I use it, and am curious if the FM-X engine is meant to be on par with it, superior to it, and also easier to use? FM8 sounds great, but I wouldn’t say it’s easy to edit when it comes to the operators, etc and it is kind of limited when it comes to midi channel routing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 09:35 PM
Mutiny in Jonestown
Total Posts:  253
Joined  02-13-2012

Not me...my whole synth setup is built around my XF7 and I still have tons of capability to explore.  I’ve spent a lot of time creating custom samples in my flash board but still haven’t really done anything with building my own arpeggios.  Also, just beginning to play with the synthesis engine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 11:22 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

awesome Mutiny IJ,

hope to see you around here.

i’m in the reverse state as you. got into the synthesis, and now getting ready to make my way to sampling - past some tests.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2016 @ 06:29 PM
Idiot Savant
Total Posts:  11
Joined  01-14-2016

I’ve heard that the Montage will let you record sequencer data but that it can’t be edited. Is this true? Who wants a sequencer that you can’t edit?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2016 @ 06:43 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Idiot Savant - 05 April 2016 06:29 PM

I’ve heard that the Montage will let you record sequencer data but that it can’t be edited. Is this true? Who wants a sequencer that you can’t edit?

Welcome to the forum. However…

Please post Montage-related material in Mo Lounge.
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewforum/132/

Thanks!  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2016 @ 07:49 PM
theard01
Total Posts:  1
Joined  07-09-2015

NO Absolutely love my new MOTIF XF 8 WH.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2016 @ 10:15 PM
RichS
Total Posts:  45
Joined  11-30-2013

No Montage for me. 

I’m really happy with my XF6.  It’s all set up for my keyboard system.  It’a all programmed up for both my bands as well and, well, if it ain’t broke....

Primarily though I’m getting heavily into modular synthesizers (MU not Eurorack) and digital keyboards have become less and less desirable to me.  Even sampling my modular onto the XF (which I now do frequently) can’t produce the gut shaking bass or ethereal quality of the analog circuitry.

Finally; I’ve got a DX7 II so I don’t need a DX7 emulator : )

[ Ignore ]  

Page 4 of 5

Previous Topic:

‹‹ The Montage is the new Motif OK !
Next Topic:

Suggestion: Creating a new instrument category ››