mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "problem routing audio to xs internal effets"

Posted on: January 17, 2016 @ 12:45 PM
Valdesuru
Total Posts:  30
Joined  10-23-2012

Hello, i’m trying to route audio from cubase to motif xs 8 system effects but i get a lot of distortion that i can’t even heard the audio.

I have my motif connected via fw to the computer. 

I have “added device” as audio interface (YSFW + Sternberg UR242), 96 kHz sample rate and the routing settings in cubase 8.5 as follows:

-VST CONNECTIONS:

IN - i created a stereo bus with XS8 Main L&R;a part of the main inputs (UR242 Input 1&2;)
OUT: i created a stereo bus with XS8 FW L&R;a part of the main outputs (UR 242 Mix L&R;)

In the motif: MIXING-AUDIO and there in the mL input i adjust the reverb & chorus.

I create a VST track, and route its audio output to XS FW L&R;and then i create an audio track and route its input to XS Main L&R;.

It’s working, i mean, the signal is arriving to the motif system effects. Sometimes i can record the audio with the effects but 5 seconds later starts that horrible distortion. When it’s “working” i can heard, turning up the volume, that distortion very low, but still present.

I wonder if it is due to a bug of the new Cubase 8.5 because i’m having issues with pops and clicks even if a set very high buffer size.

Rest of my configuration:

MAC OS El Capitan (8 GB RAM)
Motif XS with latest drivers (IEEE 1394 FW V.107-2, YSFW 1.7.4, Motif XS Editor 1.6.6, Motif XS Extension 1.6.1)
UR242 with drivers compatible with el capitan (V. 1.9.7)

any help would be appreciated! and sorry for my english…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2016 @ 07:19 AM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

Is because the convertion in real time from 24 bits to 16 and again to 24 bits (cubase-motif-cubase)?
The strange thing when i let sound the channel that is routed to mlan input is that is crashing “in cycles”.....8 seconds sounding good, then 5 seconds bad, then 6 seconds good, then 7 bad…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2016 @ 12:14 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You are using the wrong output bus, you must use FW 3&4;. This bus is hardwired in the XS (and XF) to run into the audio mixer. Using L&R;creates a feedback loop.

In the Mixing display select the Audio tab to see the settings for A/D and FW. The FW settings are the ones you will be using. Set the output to L&R; and the dry level to 0. Set the other parameters to taste.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2016 @ 08:14 PM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

And this is what i’m doing, i’m using that output bus to send the audio signal from cubase to motif:

OUT: i created a stereo bus with XS8 FW L&R;a part of the main outputs (UR 242 Mix L&R;)

and i’m using that input bus to return the signal from motif to cubase with fx applied:

IN - i created a stereo bus with XS8 Main L&R;a part of the main inputs (UR242 Input 1&2;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2016 @ 08:16 PM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

...and it is working, the effects are there but i get that distortion in cycles, very strange

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2016 @ 12:19 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Why are you using two audio interfaces?

Before you tried using the XS effects with Cubase how were you connecting the XS, by FW or through the UR242?

If you are trying to run both interfaces at the same time my guess is you are having issues with the clocking of the digital streams. If one gets out of synch that would explain the cyclic nature of the noise.

Have you created an Aggregate Device in the Mac’s Audio/MIDI settings or are you trying to use them independently.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2016 @ 08:54 PM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

Yes, i created an aggregated device in audio/midi settings on my mac. My intention is to benefit of both interface’s inputs at the same time.  And i was working like this without problems with Mbox2 & YSFW on Cubase 7.5 and Mountain Lion until few months ago when i actualized to El Capitan OS and, since Mbox is not supported no more, i decided to get a new interface (UR242). But i never tried to apply Motif’s fx to external sounds with this configuration.

I readt your answer and i checked only with YSFW interface and yes...is working without pops and clicks. So...sure is a sync problem between both interfaces like you said.

How to communicate both interfaces without get that noise? Why mbox2 was working fine with YSFW and UR242 is not working? Is better to set YSFW or UR242 as clock source when using aggregated device?

Thank you so much for your help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2016 @ 09:18 PM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

ok! i activated the offset correction on both devices in audio/midi options and i set YSFW as clock source and now is working fine!

thanks for your help meatballfulton!

[ Ignore ]