mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "“Normalizing” User Arpeggios within same Perf"

Posted on: January 11, 2016 @ 10:03 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I am wanting to “normalize” the 6 different Arps I’m using within a Perf.  Once you start picking different Arps from different categories for the same Perf, I find the drum and bass sounds too different. Because the Drum Kits have alternate keys for certain sounds, even Snare or Bass Drum. So using Jazz Kit in Arp 1 the arpeggio I’ve chosen has the snare on B1 (just example) and Bass drum on D. But on the Arp assigned to slot #2, the alternate snare drum is used, let’s say it’s A1 and bass drum is also the “other” bass drum. And so forth. To my ear it sounds like a totally different drummer has suddenly come onto the gig in mid-measure! And only way I know to change that is to convert some or at least 5 of the PreSet Arps into User Arps—then go into the Note Events and reassign the snare and bass to the same key on ALL the Arps. Which is really tedious, considering you have to record to Song, Delete/Insert Notes, use Put to Arp job, etc. And then you can only really hear if it works and Velocities are acceptable when you go back to Perf mode and hear them in CONTEXT. If a Velocity is off, you have to go back to square one with that Arp.

I’ve used Split Drums Job, just to be able to quickly isolate each drum, and then change them manually. Then Re-Mix, then Put to Arp. And it’s REALLY time consuming and easy to mess up.

I’ve done one Performance successfully and, to my ear, it’s a world of difference. Makes the total drum sound design much more realistic. But prospect of spending hours trying to “normalize” other Performances is daunting. 

If anybody has done this, are there Jobs or other tips for stream-lining this process? Will Arp Manager program, or Melas program make this easier to do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2016 @ 07:58 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

Seems like your general workflow is the only way to do it; maybe leveraging a DAW might improve efficiency? 

For example, (assuming you’ve used “ARP WITH VOICE” to identify the drum kit used to develop the drum arp), if your workflow is taking more than 30 minutes after you have the PERFORMANCE organized as you want it (i.e 6 Arps based on different drum kits) and selected the PERFORMANCE Drum Kit you want, something like:

1. [5m] Record each ARP for the specified length to a PATTERN Section, i.e. Six Sections (or SONG for that matter - seems PATTERN will be easier to manage length)
2. [2m] PATTERN CHAIN, Save to SONG, Export as SMF, Import into DAW (e.g. Cubase) and split tracks
3. [15m] Use Mouse to delete/insert notes, combine into single track based on the desired PERFORMANCE Drum Kit
4. [1m] When done (consistent bass, snare, high hat, tom, clap, etc), export to SMF, import to SONG
5. [6m] Put Track to aRP (6 times)
6. [1m] Rename Drum ARPS in PERFORMANCE with User ARP names, e.g. MA_UserDrum, MB_UserDrum, FI_UserDrum, etc

Thanks for the question; I’m intrigued.  Going to try the workflow when I’ve time…

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2016 @ 03:17 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Thanks for walking through this with me. I don’t use any DAWs, assumed theoretically that would be the “easier” way to go but if it means interfacing with a computer and software that I’ve been able to avoid up till now.

Trying to stay away from DAW and work within the MOX, and NOT have to re-do 6 different Arps, one by one, etc.—one thought that came to mind would be to build a User Drum Kit for that particular Performance and find every key that transmits a Snare sound and make them ALL the same snare sound. Then do same with any and all bass drum alternatives. Then, no matter what key the Arpeggio has written as the MIDI Note, it’s triggering the same sound anyway. The hope in this theoretical work flow would be to NOT have to redo 6 Arps, turn them into six User Arps, etc. but to simply redo one Drum Kit. 

That said, I’ve never made a User Drum Kit, not cause I just never had a desire to get that deeply into things when I end up using the same 4 drum kits anyway and they work 90% of the time just fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2016 @ 04:08 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013
muscarella - 14 January 2016 03:17 PM

… one thought that came to mind would be to build a User Drum Kit for that particular Performance and find every key that transmits a Snare sound and make them ALL the same snare sound. Then do same with any and all bass drum alternatives. Then, no matter what key the Arpeggio has written as the MIDI Note, it’s triggering the same sound anyway. The hope in this theoretical work flow would be to NOT have to redo 6 Arps, turn them into six User Arps, etc. but to simply redo one Drum Kit…

I agree.  I was thinking last night about the option of creating a user drum kit instead exactly as you describe. 

Hadn’t thought about the impact of using different arps developed with different kits; thanks.  Think I’ll experiment with both options for the learning experience.

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2016 @ 10:48 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Be curious to know what you find out. Meanwhile, I’ll keep at it and report back. I’m trying hard to avoid having to bring a computer and DAW into the scenario, although I’m aware that many things are much easier once I’m in that mode. But considering that I do all my playing and playback (Perfs, Songs, etc) as MIDI only and ‘live’ only, no interest in recording, I don’t mind some extra steps. Always hoping to be told there’s some really simple solution I’ve overlooked.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Has an Arp Manager for Mac ever been released?
Next Topic:

Arp Manager and S70XS ››