mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Montage pre-NAMM spoiler"

Page 6 of 43
Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 07:54 PM
bapemos
Total Posts:  15
Joined  07-26-2013

Yamaha sometimes(specially for the past 3 years) reminds me to Nintendo, their market strategy seems to be “not to compete”. It seems that they are not interested in creating something similar of what their competitors already have in the market but in trying to offer a different alternative.

I don’t think this is Yamaha’s answer to Jupiter 80, this is actually Yamaha’s answer to Kronos, even if it’s different...as they are stating in their youtube video description...It’s their new FLAGSHIP synth.

It’s kind of funny to see how people are never satisfied with anything.....If yamaha releases a Kronos like workstation, some people would say : “oh it’s just the same as Kronos, Yamaha is not innovating anymore”....and now with the Montage, some say: “oh come on! I wanted something like kronos!”. _-_

anyways..Let’s wait a few more days to see the official specs and features.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 09:48 PM
foleycore21
Total Posts:  37
Joined  01-14-2016
bapemos - 15 January 2016 07:54 PM

Yamaha sometimes(specially for the past 3 years) reminds me of Nintendo, their market strategy seems to be “not to compete”. It seems that they are not interested in creating something similar of what their competitors already have in the market but in trying to offer a different alternative.

And that’s why Nintendo ‘was’ no longer relevant, and is losing money. Without specs and features any product becomes irrelevant in the market. Either compete or get left behind. Nintendo has realized this now. Their new “NX” console is coming out very soon, and all reports (from developers and industry insiders) are that the chipset inside the Nintendo NX blows the PS4 and XBOX ONE out of the water. Either blow the competition away, or you get blown away, simple logic.

If I designed a modern workstation, it would have…

1: A high-quality Virtual Analog section (16 note polyphonic)
2: A new generation high-end FM section
3: A Rom section with gigabytes of pristine uncompressed 24bit WAV samples, and all synth samples taken strictly from hardware analogs, and many and varied EDM drum samples.
4: Potent ARP functionality and easy to use.
5: Highly-competent sequencer.
6: Studio Grade Reverb
7: Izotope Ozone 7 glued into the master section.
8: 4 simultaneous effects available on every track, in addition to separate analog modeled EQ and Compressor on every track.
9: SSD Drive with 8 tracks available for recording vocals and instruments. Antares “Auto-Tune 8” Pitch Correction available for use with vocals.
10: Competent sampler including loop cross-fade editing among other editing functions.

All the sequencer tracks and 8 SSD tracks able to be bounced-down as a final stereo WAV file.

I could take-on anyone in the world with this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 10:30 PM
kb420
Total Posts:  726
Joined  04-11-2004
bapemos - 15 January 2016 07:54 PM

Yamaha sometimes(specially for the past 3 years) reminds me to Nintendo, their market strategy seems to be “not to compete”. It seems that they are not interested in creating something similar of what their competitors already have in the market but in trying to offer a different alternative.

I don’t think this is Yamaha’s answer to Jupiter 80, this is actually Yamaha’s answer to Kronos, even if it’s different...as they are stating in their youtube video description...It’s their new FLAGSHIP synth.

It’s kind of funny to see how people are never satisfied with anything.....If yamaha releases a Kronos like workstation, some people would say : “oh it’s just the same as Kronos, Yamaha is not innovating anymore”....and now with the Montage, some say: “oh come on! I wanted something like kronos!”. _-_

anyways..Let’s wait a few more days to see the official specs and features.

I feel like this is directed at me, and I really don’t think you are being fair at all. If you wanted to buy a 4-wheel drive SUV, and your favorite car manufacturer came out with a two seat sports car, would you buy it and say that you are satisfied with it?  In my opinion, this is the same thing.  Granted, a 4-wheel drive SUV and a two seat sports car are both vehicles, technically speaking, each has a much different focus.  The same could be said about the Jupiter 80 and the Kronos. 

My post was in response to what Jote said about this being Yamaha’s answer to the Jupiter 80.  Jote said there was little mention of the sequencer, much like the Jupiter 80 which really doesn’t have it’s own sequencer. 

The big question is, what exactly is the Montage?  Is it a performance synthesizer?  Or, is it a workstation?  Until the official word is released we won’t know if it’s a sports car or an SUV.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 11:45 PM
Venatt
Total Posts:  730
Joined  07-11-2004

I wonder if the Montage weighs less than the Motif, it would be nice if it does.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 01:47 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-28-2002

kb420, don’t hold to what I said that much - I have no insider information and I merely posted my thoughts after reading all the info leaked so far, which hardly ever mentions the word “sequencer” (unless it’s about that new “motion sequencer” thing). With that being said I’m pretty positive that there are sequencer transport buttons below the “super-knob”

gaVClJo.jpg

The tiny icon shapes seem to match. You can also see what I think is one of the FM-X editing screens.

When I said “JP80 not Kronos” I mainly meant the tone generation capabilities. And yup, I’m really disappointed that even 5 years after the first Kronos we’re not getting a “modern day EX5”.

I really wonder if the NAMM presentation will be yet again about showing off sampled “pianos, rhodes, clavinets and organ” or will Yamaha finally realize that their synths are much more capable than that ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 02:48 AM
ZOZOLE
Total Posts:  72
Joined  12-21-2009

Yamaha Montage new demo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIihAxb5EAk

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 02:56 AM
Jote
Joined  07-28-2002
ZOZOLE - 16 January 2016 02:48 AM

Yamaha Montage new demo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIihAxb5EAk

I’d dare to question legitimacy of this video (or, to be precise, audio)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 03:17 AM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-24-2002

Yep, it looks real now - and sure looks like a workstation to me: there are transport controls beneath the Super Knob, there are select/mute buttons beneath the control sliders, and there are Part select buttons to the right of the display - the ones named [1/9], [2/10] etc. above the Motion Seq Select 1-8 and the Arp Select 1-4 buttons.

Even if there is no onboard sequencer, you can probably connect it to the iPad with either USB cable or over Wi-Fi (with an adapter) and use the Yamaha Mobile Sequencer app or the Steinberg Cubasis app (projects are importable to Cubase) - though I would just prefer a Windows notebook with Cubase AI 8.

A new name seems quite justified, it’s not a Motif anymore - even though it’s voice data compatible (hopefully with the entire Motif line and not just the XS/XF).

The button layout and the touchscreen GUI is a complete departure from the previous control and UI scheme implemented on the W5, EX5, and the Motif/MOX series. The Patch Select screen looks exactly like the same screen on the Korg OASYS/Kronos. Not to mention endless encoders and LED strip indicators across knobs and sliders - this would free valuable screen estate for something more important than just pop-up windows shown during knob and slider adjustment. These are the small touches that make all the difference when you actually play the instrument - not some stupid “specs” like CPU speed or built-in memory.

So even though Yamaha would not revisit the concept of multiple physically modelled engines in one keyboard, Montage is as close as it could get, with lots of small design elements inspired by the OASYS and two separate sound engines including a ”spectral modeling” 8-operator FM engine, similar to the Yamaha FS1R:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVgo-FBihU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BOhUozjfTM

My only complain so far is the placement of the Super Knob - it should have been on the far left side of the keyboard, like the vector joystick on the OASYS/Kronos. We shall see how it works…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 03:24 AM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-24-2002

As for the Montage being a kind of a reincarnatoin of the SY99, actually I do like how it sounds (though I didn’t appreciate it at first):

SY99 Demo Song by Chick Corea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcWZDTzvnVg

SY99 demo by Katsunori Ujiie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csHut1_F4eI

Here is an example of what can be achieved by layering AWM, AN and FM sounds (using Motif-Rack XS, AN1X, and FS1R with a MIDI controller keyboard):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6Qkf9js9M

AN can be effectively emulated by AWM2 (and probably FM-X too), look at the reface CS. Personally I can live without hard sync or analog-style step sequencers.

The one thing that’s essentially “left out” of the Montage is VL (virtual acoustic) synthesis engine, but then again, it was designed to emulate blown reed/brass instruments with convincing bend up/down and breathing effects - and these were hard to effectively control on a keyboard even with a breath controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYaj74agaIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWxCrz3vmQ

It was best to use it with a dedicated wind controller like the Yamaha WX series - but given only trainned clarinet/saxophone players would be able to master it, what’s whole purpose of making a synth keyboard out of it? If you simply need out of this world synth sounds from VL, FM and AN emulations are very capable of this as well, but without the limited polyphony of psysical modeling oscillators caused by their high computational complexity…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 03:56 AM
Jote
Joined  07-28-2002

slEnNme.png

I got bored, so I made this. No big surprises.

Noticeable changes:
- [TONE 1/TONE 2/ARP FX] rows seem to have their dedicated buttons
- [ARP FX] knob layout is different: Swing?, Unit Multiply, Gate Time, Velocity, Oct Range, ?, ?, ?
- The [SCENE] buttons - although their placement clearly suggest they can be used for switching muting voice elements
- [ARP ON/OFF] button placement

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 07:39 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  10668
Joined  09-16-2010

Bing cache of the Yamaha USA Montage page:
http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?site:http://usa.yamaha.com&d=54046408837172896&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=UsP4S3v7rkldijUKwJHw8f8GvFfzlcu1
Click on the “Features” tab.

This could disappear shortly, when Bing crawls the page again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 07:47 AM
Jote
Joined  07-28-2002

Whoa, you rock, man!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 07:50 AM
Jote
Joined  07-28-2002

So, while the cached copy does not open enlarged pictures correctly (it returns “Page not found") I “hacked” around Yamaha’s website and got access to the hi-res versions. Enjoy and kudos to 5pinDin for finding the cached copy.

euGFrGj.jpg
flXi6i6.jpg

hNHlL8P.jpg
DDkgWC2.jpg
Dm8RLgr.jpg
8pJKiMg.jpg
jZzpRtP.jpg
MdjSGPJ.jpg
ixHhKww.jpg
Ab1qxwD.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 08:04 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  10668
Joined  09-16-2010
Jote - 16 January 2016 07:50 AM

Aw man, I think I just gained access to the enlarged pictures! Stay tuned

And… here they are!

Nice!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2016 @ 08:09 AM
Jote
Joined  07-28-2002

Ok, some more observations then:

- Chorus is now called Variation
- There are no Assign 1/Assign 2 knobs, both replaced by ONE super-knob apparently (can’t say I like this TBH!)

Also, I forgot about this one: the Motion Seq editor (edited the original post to include it)

hNHlL8P.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Page 6 of 43

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Obscure bug
Next Topic:

CP70 samples for Motif XF ››