mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Montage pre-NAMM spoiler"

Page 4 of 43
Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 09:36 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

Some images, courtessy of MinoCan from GearSlutz

http://imgur.com/a/vyOnH

(specs + info on the previous thread page!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 10:27 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Jote - 15 January 2016 09:36 AM

Some images, courtessy of MinoCan from GearSlutz

http://imgur.com/a/vyOnH

(specs + info on the previous thread page!)

Thanks, Jote!

It’s certainly not looking like a hoax now…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 11:08 AM
Jote
Joined  07-29-2002

First thoughts:

1. This is not Yamaha’s Kronos - this is Yamaha’s Jupiter 80
2. 1.75GB of flash is an odd (sic!) capacity
3. Motion SEQ sounds like FreeEG (?) taken from AN1x
4. Notice how that lengthy description doesn’t mention much about the internal sequencer (JP80 again)

Too bad Google’s cache did not catch the contents of the original page. The address WAS

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/montage/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 12:31 PM
pjd
Total Posts:  63
Joined  11-16-2013

Hi Jote --

Great catch!

I agree WRT Motion SEQ. Something similar on the old AN200/DX200, too.

About the “odd capacity.” The flash memory feeding the tone generator holds both the factory set and user samples. This is the architecture employed in the newer arranger keyboards. Yamaha reserves a portion of the physical memory for user samples, essentially whatever space remains after the factory set.

Not much said about the internal sequencer. What a departure from the way the phrase library is hyped in Motif/MOX. You got me wonderin’…

Thanks—pj

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 12:54 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

As I posted on another site…
“The Montage is looking more and more like a performance synth, and less like a self-contained workstation. However, there’s the Steinberg-Yamaha connection - Cubase.”

Yamaha might have decided to shift much of the sequencer support to a DAW. That would be a way to provide almost unlimited sequence memory without it being internal to the synth.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 01:12 PM
kt_over_q
Total Posts:  27
Joined  07-07-2011

Teaser VIDS below:

http://youtu.be/3Mcr84bE95E

http://youtu.be/QhPluqywBTU

I am betting on the sequencer being internal as well as DAW/MIDI integrated environment.

There’s transport controls on the panel, although this might be dedicated to “Motion Sequence” if there is no sequencer aboard.

Memory is cheap.

Craig

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 01:19 PM
Jote
Joined  07-29-2002

Sounding great! I might be tempted to replace my XS, although I’d hate to see a “Motif” go from my setup. It was my first “flagship” synth and I wanted one since the original one was released back in 2001. I’ll need to see how good the backward compatibility is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 01:30 PM
kt_over_q
Joined  07-07-2011
Jote - 15 January 2016 01:19 PM

Sounding great! I might be tempted to replace my XS, although I’d hate to see a “Motif” go from my setup. It was my first “flagship” synth and I wanted one since the original one was released back in 2001. I’ll need to see how good the backward compatibility is.

I think I shall get a 61 note FSX version to use with my 8XF.

The BIG unknown independent variables here are FM-X and how much of the SCM technology is utilized for some of the AWM2 waveforms/instruments.

FM-X with 8op could be much different than the FS1R that I have used for years. Betcha some of new feedback paradigm seen in the reface DX is entangled here.

Looks like elements are distinct from both engines and not combined until Performance mode.

Just using EG bias, you can realize some pretty incredible sonic transitions in FM, a differential map from the “knob” to any controller/parameter in the FM-X engine just staggers the mind for sonic transitions and real time performance.

Can’t wait to see how deep FM-X has been implemented.

Craig

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 01:33 PM
drotulo
Total Posts:  1
Joined  11-18-2012

Yes! This site on Yamahasinth.com was openned

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_easydiscuss&view=categories&layout=listings&category_id=34&Itemid=851

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 02:05 PM
djuice
Total Posts:  125
Joined  04-06-2011

HEHE!!! Motif XF White go to the woodshed… (-:
Waiting the Montage “LE” series too, following the MO-MOX-MOXF!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 02:11 PM
Jote
Joined  07-29-2002

Oh yeah, be prepared for a “MON6” and “MN49” ;)

That being said I don’t like the name “Montage” (I absolutely loved “Motif"), but I guess the “MO” part was important to Yamaha (connection to the Motif legacy) and might have tested well in market research. I wonder what other names were considered.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 02:16 PM
bapemos
Total Posts:  15
Joined  07-26-2013

I’m wondering if It will be able to be used as a soundcard just like the MOXF or the XF with the expansion fireware card..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 02:17 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
kt_over_q - 15 January 2016 01:12 PM

I am betting on the sequencer being internal as well as DAW/MIDI integrated environment.

There’s transport controls on the panel, although this might be dedicated to “Motion Sequence” if there is no sequencer aboard.

Memory is cheap.

I’m hoping that Yamaha isn’t depending too much on external sequencing, but memory was cheap enough when the Motifs were designed, and yet sequencer capacity was fairly limited. For obvious reasons, Yamaha has been pushing Cubase by providing the AI version with the Motifs.

By the way, can we refer to you as V_sub_t for short?  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 02:27 PM
kt_over_q
Joined  07-07-2011
5pinDIN - 15 January 2016 02:17 PM
kt_over_q - 15 January 2016 01:12 PM

By the way, can we refer to you as V_sub_t for short?  :-)

You sure can!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2016 @ 02:46 PM
Jote
Joined  07-29-2002

Is audio over USB new for Yamaha synths? Wish it had a VST-type integration too, so that I could simply create a VST midi/audio pair in my software DAW and whenever I need a mixdown I just press “mixdown” instead of recording everything in realtime. Many synths already have this capability AFAIK. Correct me if I’m wrong

[ Ignore ]  

Page 4 of 43

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Obscure bug
Next Topic:

CP70 samples for Motif XF ››