mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Load Sample wav Clip into Pattern and Song Mode"

Posted on: December 07, 2015 @ 08:04 AM
S300570
Total Posts:  38
Joined  09-24-2007

Hi,
I’m in need of great help from your precious knowledge. I own a Motif XS7 with OS 1.50.

I need to Load some clips (.wav) into Song Or Pattern in order to Play along with it. I’ve already posted this issue, and 5PinDIN was from great help. After all reading process of his suggestions, I still don’t have reached my goal, both in Pattern and Song modes. This can only be my fault; yes I know it, So please forgive me.

So, here is what I’ve done, as suggested:

In Pattern Mode: 
1) Load File into Track 16 From USB.
2) Inserted a NOTE-ON event in Edit Mode.
3) Tried to alter Gate parameters, but with no success.
There are 2 Boxes and, even looking for help in Page 76
of the Manual did come to nowhere.
Tried to alter the End meas of the Pattern Section to
Max Value possible, but didn’t work to.

In Song Mode:
1) Load File into Track 16 from USB, again. Though that
file was already inside MotifXS7, in Wave 001 location,
I wasn’t able to figure out how to load directly from memory.
2) Inserted a NOTE-ON event in Edit Mode.
3) Tried, with no success, to alter Gate parameters.
Put 999 in the first box and 479 in the second.
This time the clip played more than once as it was in
loop. I also notice, then, that the clip only starts if
we press play (>) from first measure.

Has I mentioned above, I need your help, maybe in a step by step basis, to import from USB or From memory location inside Pattern/Song modes. I’ll put below some variables to starting with:

Let’s consider a CLIP.wav with 4min,32secs. What do I need to do in order to Import and Play along with it, including the Gate time Parameters and avoiding the looping issue?

P.s. Could Be a solution, Recording the Clip? The problem is that in Song Mode there’s no way to start the recording with a Keyboard key, preventing the possibility of losing some initial beats from first measure.

Please forgive my Insistence.

My best regards
Leopoldo Fernandes
Lisbon - Portugal

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2015 @ 11:25 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

It’s better to not start a new thread for a continuing topic. For those who are trying to follow this, it began here:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476334/

Although it’s possible to do this in Pattern mode, for a long sample it’s easiest to work in Song mode.

1) Import the WAV sample, then find how long it is in measures.
2) Calculate the Gate time by multiplying beats per measure by number of measures.
3) Edit the track. Insert the Note-On event, setting the Note to match the one the sample was placed on. Set the Gate time as previously determined, and Velocity as desired (127 for maximum level). Press [F6](Set) when done with settings, then press [EXIT].
4) Store the Song when satisfied.

If you need to change any of the Note-On event settings, they can be edited. Once the changes are made, press [ENTER], then [EXIT].

The above will result in the sample playing through once when [>](Play) is pressed. If necessary, there are ways to be able to restart play from other than the first measure, but first see if you can get things to work this far.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2015 @ 06:48 PM
S300570
Joined  09-24-2007

Hi, my dear friend

Forgive me, please. You are 100% right in this concern.

Can you please tell me how can I determine the nº of measures?

2) Calculate the Gate time by multiplying beats per measure by number of measures.

The Gate time has 2 boxes. What are the meaning of each one?
1) Suposing that the number of measures is 50. The gate time will allways be the result of (50 * 16)?

What will I put in 1rst and the second box?

My appologies and manny thanks to you.

Leopoldo Fernandes

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2015 @ 09:20 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
S300570 - 07 December 2015 06:48 PM

Can you please tell me how can I determine the nº of measures?

The quick and dirty method is to set the Gate time much longer than needed, play the sequence, see how long the sample really is, then edit the Note-on event to a correct Gate time.

Here’s another way:
Press [INTEGRATED SAMPLING], select the Waveform number and KeyBank, press [F1](Trim), then press [EDIT]

Set the Tempo and Meter to what those settings are in your Song (the sequencer defaults to 120 and 4/4, if you didn’t change them), and then set the Measure so that the End Point indication on the display is at or just past the end of the sample. Read what has been set for Measure, which will be correct for the particular Tempo and Meter. You can then EXIT out of INTEGRATED SAMPLING.

See pages 167 - 170 of the XS Owner’s Manual. With OS V1.50, there will be additional parameters shown on the display, which can be ignored for our purposes.

S300570 -

2) Calculate the Gate time by multiplying beats per measure times number of measures.

The Gate time has 2 boxes. What are the meaning of each one?

The first box is beats, the second one is clocks. The sequencer resolution is 480 parts per quarter note - 000 is the minimum clock setting, 479 is the maximum. Setting clocks below 000 or above 479 will change the beats number lower or higher.

S300570 -

1) Suposing that the number of measures is 50. The gate time will allways be the result of (50 * 16)?

For your example, the Gate time will be 50 times the number of beats per measure (not necessarily 16 - it depends on the meter). In 4/4, for example, that would be 4 beats per measure, so Gate would be 50 * 4, or 200.

S300570 -

What will I put in 1rst and the second box?

Unless you have a reason to be very precise, I’d set the second box (clocks) at 000 and set the first one (beats) long enough so that the entire sample plays.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2015 @ 01:32 PM
S300570
Joined  09-24-2007

Hi 5PinDIN

Before anything else, let me tell that you have been such a great help. I’ve been working around for a while experimenting all your suggestions, and been able to achieve my goal.

I’ve learn that the best way to do this is in the SONG MODE. There were allways problems in Pattern Mode.

Please, I just need to know one thing:
Once Imported to a Song Track the sample is alocated to RAM Sample memory. Let’s say for example ‘001’ Position. what can I do to be able to reuse it in a Pattern or voice, without having to re-import - having then the same sample in RAM memory, both positions ‘001’ and ‘002’?

Whish you all the best.

Leopoldo Fernandes

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2015 @ 03:52 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

Once the sample is in RAM as a Waveform, you can use it in a Voice. For a Normal User Voice, select an Element and set the Oscillator Wave Bank to USR and the Wave Number as desired (0001 per your example). It will play on the key to which you imported the sample. If you edit the KeyBank (via INTEGRATED SAMPLING) so that there is a Key Range, then it will play over that range. To have it play until the end, the AEG and FEG Release Time has to be set long enough.

The Waveform could also be used in a User Drum Voice. The Decay 2 setting will determine how long it plays.

Once the Voice is stored, it can be used for a Part in a Pattern.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2015 @ 01:14 PM
S300570
Joined  09-24-2007

So, If I understood your sayng, There is no possibilty to use the sample directly in Song/Pattern.

Here is what I tried to do:

I’ve imported, directly from USB drive, the sample WAV into 16 Song track and assigned to Key C3. Pressing [Mixing] there it was, referenced as ‘SP’ Bank, pos ‘01’. And when I Press [Integrated Sampling] there it is as wave ‘0001’. This was ok.
My problem starts the moment I try, in the same Song or in another one, to use that same sample; by pressing [Mixing] and selecting in another track the ‘SP’ Bank - pos ‘01’.

Can you help me on this?

Best Regards

Leopoldo Fernandes

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2015 @ 02:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You can have up to 128 samples in a User Sample Voice in the SP/SMPL Bank for each Mixing. A User Sample Voice is restricted to the original Song/Pattern Mixing - it can’t be directly used in another Song/Pattern. However, there should be no problem using a sample for another Part within the same Mixing.

See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/449536/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469419/
--- and ---
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mix_voice_bank_mixv

[ Ignore ]