mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Previewing Midi Files"

Posted on: November 29, 2015 @ 06:35 AM
lazuriz
Total Posts:  33
Joined  01-18-2009

I just picked up my Motif XF6 yesterday and haven’t slept much since… The sounds are killer.
Now I have my first question.
I have a number of midi drum loops that are on a flash drive. But I can’t see how to preview them before loading them to a pattern. They are in type_0.mid. On my M06 I could just highlite it and press play.

The other thing I noticed is when I do load the midi file, it loads to track 10 ok, but fills the other 15 tracks with no data. (All the sequencer blocks in section A are filled in).

I figure I must be doing something wrong. Or perhaps my midi file isn’t formatted properly.

If I go into edit and look at the other tracks there is no data.

TIA,
Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2015 @ 09:12 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
lazuriz - 29 November 2015 06:35 AM

I just picked up my Motif XF6 yesterday and haven’t slept much since… The sounds are killer.

Congrats, but do take some occasional time out for important functions.
Drowsy driving (of your XF) is impaired driving.
;-)

lazuriz -

Now I have my first question.
I have a number of midi drum loops that are on a flash drive. But I can’t see how to preview them before loading them to a pattern. They are in type_0.mid. On my M06 I could just highlite it and press play.

Unfortunately, that feature of the MO isn’t available on the XF.

lazuriz -

The other thing I noticed is when I do load the midi file, it loads to track 10 ok, but fills the other 15 tracks with no data. (All the sequencer blocks in section A are filled in).

I figure I must be doing something wrong. Or perhaps my midi file isn’t formatted properly.

If I go into edit and look at the other tracks there is no data.

That’s normal operation. While you might not see any note data, events such as time signature are written to all the tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2015 @ 05:42 PM
lazuriz
Joined  01-18-2009

5pinDIN -
Unfortunately, that feature of the MO isn’t available on the XF.

Thanks for the reply.
It too bad they removed the preview feature. I thought now with the ability to read longer file names this would work great with my Groove Monkey Library.

5pinDIN -
That’s normal operation. While you might not see any note data, events such as time signature are written to all the tracks.

I’ll take a look at the midi files in GnMidi editor and see if I can strip them out.

On a side note, do you know if the twiddly bits files for the ES/MO will load ok on the XF or is there an advantage to have them specific to the XF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2015 @ 07:06 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
lazuriz - 29 November 2015 05:42 PM

[...]On a side note, do you know if the twiddly bits files for the ES/MO will load ok on the XF or is there an advantage to have them specific to the XF?

There shouldn’t be a problem loading the Twiddly Bits ES (.W7P/.W8P) files, but I’ll check. As far as I know, the Pattern content for the models is the same.

OK, I just loaded an ES Twiddly Bits “Hot Salsa” file to my XF - works fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2015 @ 08:32 PM
lazuriz
Joined  01-18-2009

5pinDIN -
There shouldn’t be a problem loading the Twiddly Bits ES (.W7P/.W8P) files, but I’ll check. As far as I know, the Pattern content for the models is the same.

Very kind of you to check like that. That’s good news.
Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2015 @ 02:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
5pinDIN - 29 November 2015 07:06 PM
lazuriz - 29 November 2015 05:42 PM

[...]On a side note, do you know if the twiddly bits files for the ES/MO will load ok on the XF or is there an advantage to have them specific to the XF?

I should clarify that…

The ES files do load without a problem to an XF. However, the Voices aren’t located in the same places in the XF/XS versus the ES. In order to use the correct Voices, in most cases it will be necessary to look at what Voice (bank and number) a Part is assigned, find it in the ES Data List, locate the same Voice in the XF Data List, and correct the Part’s bank and number.

I’ll look into coming up with a conversion chart. Until then (or instead of it), see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/converting_motif_es_and_mo6_mo8_data_to_the_motif_xs_and_motif_xf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2015 @ 02:11 AM
lazuriz
Joined  01-18-2009

I’ll probably hang onto the MO6 for few months still. I could always use it to cross reference. Might still need it to convert other files as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Connecting several devices to the XF’s A/D input?
Next Topic:

duplicate waveforms ››