mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "About Yamaha V50 FM Synthesizer"

Posted on: November 28, 2015 @ 01:44 AM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

Does anybody here know about the outcome of the Yamaha V50 FM workstation ?

I know it came out in 1989 as the direct replacement of the Yamnaha DX7 II but then it was overshadowed by the SY77 that came out a year later in 1990 then entire SY series and kind of never heard back again.

Does somebody know the story ?

Image Attachments
Yamaha V50.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2015 @ 09:25 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Sorry, but the V50 was not the direct replacement for the DX7II.

The DX7 series was 6-operator, 32-algorithm, sine waveform only FM, and mono-timbral. Later Yamaha FM-only designs were 4-op, 8-algorithm, 8-waveform FM, and multi-timbral. The TX81Z was a very popular 4-op, 8-voice polyphonic rack model, and a keyboard version, the DX11, was introduced. Other interim models included the YS200 (I have one), DS55, etc.

See http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/music-production/synthesizers/synth_40th/chronology/

1988 catalog:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/62616

It’s likely what happened to the V50 (and the V80, which would have been a truer successor to the DX7II, but never made it into production) is that Korg released the M1. Yamaha had a share in Korg at the time, but the M1 was so successful that Korg was able to buy it back from Yamaha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2016 @ 04:33 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

I have a still functioning V50.
It was for me the right synth/workstation at the right time.
But it was something of a compromise.
The 4 op FM synth was not sine wave only. It had other more complex waveforms to choose from as building blocks which flagged what as to come in the SY 77/99.
Unlike later workstations, the parts were not integrated. The drum machine was a separate beast in the same case. Very useful since it had its own polyphony and did not steal notes from the FM engine.
Also handy since the sequencer only had 8 tracks, again the drums did not tie up,a sequencer track.
The reverbs etc were OK for the era.
I loved it.
It still has some unique sounds.

I later bought a W7 which was a fantastic sounding workstation.

Just a few thoughts

[ Ignore ]