mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Migrating from MOXF to Motif XF"

Posted on: November 11, 2015 @ 11:52 AM
howardpain
Total Posts:  13
Joined  10-24-2013

Hi.

I have been using MOXF6 with flash-board for a year, and are going to buy the Yamaha XF7 to get the aftertouch, ribbon, better keys, sliders, big screen etc etc :)

My question is: will I be able to load all my voice, performances and multi’s into the XF directly? Can I also use the same flash-goard in the XF as in the MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2015 @ 12:20 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
howardpain - 11 November 2015 11:52 AM

Hi.

I have been using MOXF6 with flash-board for a year, and are going to buy the Yamaha XF7 to get the aftertouch, ribbon, better keys, sliders, big screen etc etc :)

Congrats!

howardpain -

My question is: will I be able to load all my voice, performances and multi’s into the XF directly?

Not directly. Third party software can help with the task.

howardpain -

Can I also use the same flash-goard in the XF as in the MOXF?

The flash module can be moved to the XF. However, before being used it will have to be reformatted in the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2015 @ 12:50 PM
howardpain
Joined  10-24-2013

Thanks, and thanks for super-quick answer. It seems that the Melas Motif Suite can be a good help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2015 @ 09:12 AM
howardpain
Joined  10-24-2013

Hello again! Just picked up the MOTIF XF7 yesterday, and its awesome. I have one question: I made a backup of the flash content on a USB-stick, and when I load i (installed it from the USB-stick to the Flash Expansion Memory Module), some of the samples are distorted, its like I hear the piano sample but with som kind of white noise at the same time. Most of the samples are fine, but eg the S700 piano samples are distorted. Is that normal, og is there a fix?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2015 @ 10:41 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
howardpain - 14 November 2015 09:12 AM

Hello again! Just picked up the MOTIF XF7 yesterday, and its awesome. I have one question: I made a backup of the flash content on a USB-stick,

Could you provide a bit more detail? What flash content are you referring to?

howardpain -

and when I load i (installed it from the USB-stick to the Flash Expansion Memory Module), some of the samples are distorted, its like I hear the piano sample but with som kind of white noise at the same time. Most of the samples are fine, but eg the S700 piano samples are distorted. Is that normal, og is there a fix?

That type of noise typically indicates corruption of the sample. It could occur on the USB drive or the flash module. I’d suggest trying another USB drive.

Also, make sure that the flash module is properly seated in the XF7. Step 4-2 on page 77 of the XF Owner’s Manual is particularly important. Try reformatting the flash module after reseating it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2015 @ 08:07 PM
howardpain
Joined  10-24-2013

I’m installing the “InspirationInAFlash"-content. I did as you suggested: bought a new usb-stick, and reformated the flash module, and downloaded the content again, and it works fine now. The Mofit actually crashed when I tried to delete the sounds with the corrupted samples, but after using a new usb-stick and ‘Motif Total XF Librarian’, I got it all to work.
The Motif XF is a wonderful machine, I do not know if I am right, but it feels that everything sounds better on the XF than on the MOXF.
Thanks for your help :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2015 @ 09:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
howardpain - 14 November 2015 08:07 PM

I’m installing the “InspirationInAFlash"-content. I did as you suggested: bought a new usb-stick, and reformated the flash module, and downloaded the content again, and it works fine now. The Mofit actually crashed when I tried to delete the sounds with the corrupted samples, but after using a new usb-stick and ‘Motif Total XF Librarian’, I got it all to work.

I’m glad you were able to resolve the problem.

howardpain -

The Motif XF is a wonderful machine, I do not know if I am right, but it feels that everything sounds better on the XF than on the MOXF.

The audio quality from the two models is very similar. If you haven’t already seen this, it might be interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470507/

However, there are features that can make the XF a better choice for some users, while others find the lower cost and weight of the MOXF advantageous.

howardpain -

Thanks for your help :)

You’re welcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2015 @ 10:24 PM
loveheal
Total Posts:  14
Joined  10-23-2011

Hi,

Interesting thread. To me, the MOX and MOXF sound really nice. I own a MOX6. I can’t really tell the difference between XS and MOX or XF and MOXF. But here is a interesting website on the chips and processors the XS and MOX use. Both models use different processors and chips but I am not sure if it really affect the sound quality.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/psr-whats-inside-2/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/mox-internal-architecture/

I think this person really did a good analysis of the synths.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2015 @ 08:14 AM
Faldin
Total Posts:  41
Joined  09-10-2015

I think the CPUs are different (MOXF vs. XF, MOX vs. XS), but the Tone Generators (SWP51) and the Wave ROMs are identical. My understanding is that the Tone Generators and Wave ROMs (and of course DACs) should be relevant for the Sound Quality, whereas the CPUs handle the user Interfaces, I/O, and more.

Btw, does anyone know about the DACs? Do the XF and XS have different DACs than MOXF and MOX?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2015 @ 10:15 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Faldin - 16 November 2015 08:14 AM

[...] Btw, does anyone know about the DACs? Do the XF and XS have different DACs than MOXF and MOX?

Yes, the DACs are different, which might partially account for slight audible differences between the models.

Even the XF and XS aren’t the same. Excerpt from
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_faq1 ...
Does it have different D/A, A/D converters ?
• Yes, the A/D/ and D/A have been tweaked and the analog section has been significantly improved using circuits designed for the CP1

Of course, phrases such as “significantly improved” tend to be used when extolling the virtues of a new model.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Load .aif files
Next Topic:

Chicken Systems Translator or Creator - HELP!! ››