mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Divide Drum Track"

Posted on: November 06, 2015 @ 04:46 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

I stumbled upon the MOXF’s ability to Divide the Drum Track, again testament to all the things that it can do that I never knew :)

I grasp the concept but don’t see where a step by step process is explained.

I have a Sequenced Song and I’d like to experiment on it.

Please note that the way I’m currently recording a Song to my DAW is by syncing the MOXF and LPX and recording one track at a time into LPX by the analog outs of the MOXF into the analog inputs on a Apollo Twin Duo.

As an aside, I sure would like to know how to eventually record two tracks at the same time into LPX by usb :)

As a guess, I’m assuming that the first track would be assigned to 1 & 2 and that the second track would be assigned to 3 & 4.

I know how to assign the input tracks on LPX but am not sure how to assign the tracks outputs on a Song.

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2015 @ 09:10 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

hi Jerry,
does this help?:

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=349:divide-drum-track

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2015 @ 10:22 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Or if you would like a more comprehensive set of instructions for all the tricks your drum track has up it’s sleeve:

Drum Track Construction MOXF

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 02:23 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
chasmanian - 06 November 2015 09:10 PM

hi Jerry,
does this help?:

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=349:divide-drum-track

Hi chasmanian, how ya’ been?

Let me study that and see if moi can palez vous :)

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 02:26 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
cmayhle - 06 November 2015 10:22 PM

Or if you would like a more comprehensive set of instructions for all the tricks your drum track has up it’s sleeve:

Drum Track Construction MOXF

Hello to you as well cmayhle, long time no talk to you :)

I’ll study that one as well and will report back.

Later,

J

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2015 @ 08:42 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi everyone :)

I have read both articles but don’t see (understand) how to take the completed Drum Track of a completed Song and convert the Drum Track to eight individual Tracks.

Also, am I correct in assuming that once the drums are separated as follows:

1) The kick/kicks on tracks 1 and 2.
2) The snare/handclap, etc on tracks 3 and 4.
3) Cymbals on 5 and 6.
4) Toms and percussion on 7 and 8

That since I can only output two separate tracks/drums to my DAW at a time, that means it will take up to eight separate recordings done one at a time?

What I’m trying to ask is that if the song is 3 minutes long that it will take over 24 minutes to record the drums to my DAW?

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2015 @ 08:57 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

PS

Is this why it’s easier to convert the Drum Track to a SMF and separate the Tracks within Addictive Drums/LPX?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2015 @ 05:43 AM
chasmanian
Joined  01-27-2014

hey Jerry,

googled. found this.
hope it helps:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/450951/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2015 @ 11:45 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi chasmanian :)

What I’m trying to do is take the drum track from a song and record the bass drum, the snare drum, the cymbals and the toms each to a separate LPX Track so I can have more control over such things as volume, compressing, eq’ing, etc.

Will dividing the Drum Track allow me to do this or is that not what it does?

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2015 @ 11:59 AM
chasmanian
Joined  01-27-2014

ah, gotcha.
hey Jerry, I truly have not the slightest idea.
were I to completely guess, I would say that the answer is no.
I’m speculating (and totally guessing), that a Song is kind of a finished project, that is already mixed down to a stereo (also perhaps called the 2 buss), track.
so, breaking that apart, hmmmmmm, yeah don’t know.
can only guess.
and lots of times when I guess, I’m wayyyy wrong bro!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2015 @ 12:42 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 06 December 2015 11:45 AM

[...] What I’m trying to do is take the drum track from a song and record the bass drum, the snare drum, the cymbals and the toms to a separate LPX Tracks so I can have more control over such things as volume, compressing, eq’ing, etc.

Will dividing the Drum Track allow me to do this or is that not what it does?

I know almost nothing about Logic Pro, but if your Song is in the MOXF…
You can use the Job Split Song To Pattern - see page 96 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

You can then use the Pattern Job Divide Drum Track - also on page 96. If there aren’t enough tracks free for this, you can make some room with Clear Track - page 95.

The Drum Track Construction MOXF PDF cmayhle linked to covers details and more.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2015 @ 03:51 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

There’s my old buddy 5pD, good to hear from you again :)

As far as LPX, it basically works like all DAW’s in that they all allow you to record and edit tons of separate tracks.

Please note that I know how to take each track of a MOXF Song and how to record one track at a time to LPX, perfectly synced.

The Song I’m going to try this split method on is in the MOXF Song Mode and it has drums on track one, bass on track two and horns on track three.

Several questions:

1) On page 96 of the MOXF Reference Manual is states that the Job Split to Pattern allows you to copy a part of the current Song—all 16 Tracks over a specific range of measures.

All I want to do is copy just the drum track over 90 measures, not just a part of the Song.

Can and how do I accomplish this?

2) The Job Split to Pattern gives a Notice that this Job overwrites any data already existing in the destination Pattern and Section, so I deduce that I have to set the destination to an unused Track?

3) When I Pattern Job Divide the Drum Track it will separate the note events in a drum performance assigned to a specified Track and that will place the notes corresponding to different drum instruments in separate Tracks 1 through 8.

So does this mean I have to sync the newly created Drum Pattern to LPX and then Record one Track at a time?

If so, this means that to Record my three minute Song to LPX will take:
a) Three minutes for the Bass Drum.
b) Three minutes for the Snare Drum.
c) Three minutes for the Cymbals.
d) Three minutes for the Percussion.
e) Three minutes for the Bass Guitar.
f) Three minutes for the Horns.

In essence, 18 minutes?

4) Is this why it’s better/faster to convert the Drum Track to a SMF?

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2015 @ 05:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 06 December 2015 03:51 PM

[...]
1) On page 96 of the MOXF Reference Manual is states that the Job Split to Pattern allows you to copy a part of the current Song—all 16 Tracks over a specific range of measures.

All I want to do is copy just the drum track over 90 measures, not just a part of the Song.

Can and how do I accomplish this?

You could copy only the drum track to a blank Song, using Copy Track, page 95. Then Copy that Song To Pattern, over the full length.

jerrydpi -

2) The Job Split to Pattern gives a Notice that this Job overwrites any data already existing in the destination Pattern and Section, so I deduce that I have to set the destination to an unused Track?

A blank Pattern would be my choice.

I’ll let someone else address the rest.

I suggest that you make backup copies of your Song, to provide protection in case something doesn’t go as planned. Then learn by doing - that’s what I do.  :-)

[ Ignore ]