mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "what did I do?"

Posted on: October 01, 2015 @ 09:44 PM
pblais
Total Posts:  95
Joined  03-05-2015

Armed with all the knowledge about Flash Memory and waveforms and samples that I learned in my other thread, I decided that I had filled the flash board with too much stuff.
So, I reformatted the flash board and I also returned the Moxf8 to its factory settings.
Now, the volume coming out of the unit is like really low.  I have to push the volume slider up to the top and adjust the volume on my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface way up to get any volume at all.
This was not like that before I reset everything.  I had so much volume, I had to keep the volume slider on the Moxf at half and the volume on the interface at half or less.

Any ideas what I might have done?

Thanks
Pierre

PS… This problem is there for all of the preset voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2015 @ 09:51 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Check your output gain in utility, you may have had it set higher before the reset.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 01:35 AM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
stoneb3 - 01 October 2015 09:51 PM

Check your output gain in utility, you may have had it set higher before the reset.

Stone

It was set to +6db which is as high as it can go....  The Full Concert Grand piano is really weak.

Also… the Pipe Organ voices sound tinny now

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 08:22 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

If it’s both lower volume and the sound has changed, maybe you had some EQ boost?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 08:23 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 01 October 2015 09:44 PM

[...] I reformatted the flash board and I also returned the Moxf8 to its factory settings.
Now, the volume coming out of the unit is like really low.  I have to push the volume slider up to the top and adjust the volume on my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface way up to get any volume at all.[...]
PS… This problem is there for all of the preset voices.

Reformatting the flash module should in no way affect Preset Voices.

A factory reset also can’t change Preset Voice parameters, but it can certainly affect overall System settings. However, if the volume was adequate when you first got your MOXF (before changing any settings), doing a reset should have just returned things to that condition.

I’ve never heard of a factory reset not executing correctly, but I’d start by doing it again “just in case”. If nothing changes, plug headphones into the MOXF’s PHONES jack and see if the level is normal there.

Keep us posted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 09:56 AM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

Will do that tonight when I am home from work… Thanks for the help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 11:22 AM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
zpink - 02 October 2015 08:22 AM

If it’s both lower volume and the sound has changed, maybe you had some EQ boost?

Could you enlighten me more on that please?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 11:48 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 02 October 2015 11:22 AM

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475505/

Had you done that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 01:18 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 02 October 2015 11:48 AM
pblais - 02 October 2015 11:22 AM

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475505/

Had you done that?

I just looked at that other thread you mentioned. Without being there with the Moxf, I can tell you some things.  I will check more later when I am home after work

5pinDIN - 18 June 2015 04:39 PM

I presume it’s the L+R Gain setting that you have at +6 dB - if so, that indeed is already at maximum.

Yes it is the L+R Gain setting that is set to +6dB and I am using L+R.

The Volume setting usually defaults to 127, which is maximum.

Which volume setting, I see many.. I did find one that was at 100 but nothing changed when I increased it to 127.  I don’t remember which it was, I’ll have to check that later this evening.

The design of the mixer input stage can determine if cable type will make a difference in level. MOX line outputs are unbalanced type, and TS cables should be used.

Even though I have a Moxf, the cables I am using should not make a difference since this was not a problem 5 minutes before I did the Format and Reset stuff.  I have not changed the cables before and after

There are potentially other ways to increase level, depending on mode. Which mode (Voice, etc.) were you using?

I am using Voice mode.

Thanks again.. I will also check in to the EQ stuff you talked about in that thread this evening.

Once again, thank you very much and I will keep you posted

Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 02:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 02 October 2015 01:18 PM

I am using Voice mode.

Thanks again.. I will also check in to the EQ stuff you talked about in that thread this evening. [...]

A factory reset would return the Master EQ settings accessible from Utility mode (which affects Voices, not other modes) back to default values. However, if you hadn’t previously increased those levels as discussed in that MOX thread, then it’s not the cause of the issue.

Let’s wait until you investigate further.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2015 @ 12:55 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 02 October 2015 02:08 PM

Let’s wait until you investigate further.

OK
Here goes. 
First thing I did is listen to the Moxf through headphones.  Everything sounded good there. Plenty of volume and and the pipe organs did NOT sound tinny…
(good chance to try out my new Sennheiser HD6 MIX Headphones)

That being said, I started looking in to my setup.  I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface. It has internal processing hardware and comes with a mixer software app.  I opened that up and “voila”.  I don’t know how it happened but the sliders for the channel that the Moxf is plugged in to were way down.  How this happened is beyond me and, coincidentally, it happened right around the time I did the system reset etc on the Moxf.
I slid those sliders back to where they belong and, while I was at it, I moved the DAW sliders so that the volume coming from the computer was about the same as that coming from the Moxf.
Everything is good in Scarlett land.

Thank you very much for all your help 5pinDIN

Regards
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2015 @ 08:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 05 October 2015 12:55 PM

[...] Thank you very much for all your help 5pinDIN

Regards
Pierre

You’re very welcome. I had a feeling that what was happening was external to the MOXF (which is why I suggested checking with headphones), and I’m glad that the problem not only wasn’t in the MOXF, but also was simple to resolve once you determined the cause.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Connect Cme Xkey Directly to Moxf6
Next Topic:

New sound i’ve created need advice ››