mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MIDI Events vs. Automation?"

Posted on: September 27, 2015 @ 05:53 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

I’m working in a Cubase 8 Pro project. I have a track where I want to fade the volume down to zero over four bars.

I figured out that I can do it by adding Volume automation to that track. I can also do it by recording Volume CC MIDI events to the track, which I did by setting the track to Record and moving a slider on my XF. (I know I could also use a Job on the XF, but I’m concentrating on Cubase for the moment.)

My question is, what’s the trade-off? Is one way definitely better than the other? Does it depend on the possible situations? Which situations would that be?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2015 @ 06:25 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

I found this, which says that you can apparently switch back and forth between MIDI and automation relatively easily.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2015 @ 08:37 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

Yes, that’s a good article by SOS.

It depends what you want to do exactly, but for fading a track I would always use volume automation of some type and never MIDI CC’s.

As it happens I usually do it on the audio file after recording using Cubase or Wavelab, leaving the MIDI original in case I want to change things at any time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2015 @ 10:33 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

MIDI Volume automation is CC7.  With many music libraries these days volume automation is often combined with CC1 Modulation and CC 11 Expression. It doesn’t matter whether you play them in or write them in in the Key Editor....just personal preference. For volume fades though, most people tend to draw them. Automation is also quite useful for things like panning.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How To "Track Out" XF Tracks into Cubase
Next Topic:

New computer, old cubase AI 4... ››