mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording Arps to a Song"

Posted on: September 22, 2015 @ 12:20 PM
Steve Pas
Total Posts:  87
Joined  02-29-2008

Greetings all,
I just cannot figure out how to manipulate the different arps while recording a copied performance in Song Mode.  I have looked at Bad Mister’s power use guide on using arps and the manual but I am obviously missing a routing or button push that is needed.  Here is what I am trying to do.

I am using a supplied performance in my MO8, USER 1 A15 “Yearning”.  This is a three part performance, with tracks 1 & 2 layering two pad voices that are transmitting on Channel 1.  Then track 3 is a drum voice transmitting on Channel 3.  The first key stroke starts the drum arp which continues until the Arpeggio button is turned off.  I would like to be able to record switching the arps, for example starting with Arp 1 during the 8 measure intro, then switching to Arp 2 for the verse and so on and so forth.

I have tried numerous overdub recording takes with the recarp set to “On”.  I have the chord progressions from Tracks 1 and 2 all set, both changing the arps as I was real time recording, and also going back and changing the arps on a second take doing the overdub record set on Track 3.  On playing back the song the arp switching does not occur in either case.  But, I can real time continue to switch the arps between the 5 choices to get the drum variations I am looking for.

Can someone please tell me what I may be missing?  I am definitely “Arp Challenged” with this keyboard after 7 years of ownership but I am still trying.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Steve Pas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2015 @ 02:19 PM
Steve Pas
Total Posts:  87
Joined  02-29-2008

With some more digging into some of my printed files of past threads from this forum and some other Yamaha published materials, I now have my Arp switches recorded into the song, and actually they were already there.

I checked the drum track (Track 3) in edit mode and saw midi data was present from start to finish of the song.  But, when track 3 was selected and I would play the keys no sound was output.  I did some deeper editing into the mixing structure and found an artifact of how the original performance I had copied was causing the issue.

The performance apparently mapped all three of its part to midi channel 1 so the same thing occurred in the song mix.  This was evident when track 1 was selected and the drum sounds would play along with the pad sounds, I was just too dense to see that as an indicator of what was going on.  So, for track three I switched the midi channel to 3, and lo and behold the drum track started playing when I pushed “play” and the arp switches had been properly recorded.

I am still amazed at all that goes on under the hood of these instruments.  I hope to someday be able to use 30 - 40% of what my MO8 is fully capable of.

[ Ignore ]