mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using XS Editor VST in Pro Tools"

Posted on: August 24, 2015 @ 11:10 AM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

While my SX-8 is my main keyboard controller, my DAW is Pro Tools.  For a long time I’ve wished I could use the XS Editor program inside Pro Tools instead of having to switch to a separate screen using the Studio program etc.  Well now I CAN..and so can you.  With Reaper 5.0 comes the ability to host VST-3 apps, which the XS Editor can be downloaded as.  Reaper can be used in Pro Tools via Rewire to host all sorts of VST VI’s and plugins, and I’ve been using that way for a long time.  Very nice. 

Over the weekend, I upgraded Reaper to 5.0 and downloaded the VST 3 version of the editor, and, yup, it all works!  It effectively makes XS-8 look like a gigantic VI!  All I have to do is instantiate Reaper on a PT instrument track, call up the XS Editor on a Reaper instrument track, and create the connection to my XS, and we’re off an running.  I route the audio of the XS back to PT (in my case using the S/PDIF...but YMMV depending on what system you use.) So no audio goes through Reaper...it is only hosting the Editor software. 

It really speeds up work flow, searching for patches, calling up additional sound banks (ie XS Extreme), editing a patch on the fly in the context of the mix, etc.  Before, when I had to go to a separate screen using the studio, it would often freeze my MIDI in PT for some reason...it got so bad, I just gave up using the editor and just did the old fashioned way directly on the Motif.  But that can slow things down a bit.  Now, its a snap! 

The one main criticism I have of the Editor is that, which you can edit in Voice, Song and Pattern mode, there is no edit feature for Performance Mode...which I really don’t understand.  It would be really nice if Yamaha would provide an updated version of the editor that included the Performance Mode features as well. 

Otherwise, it is great finally to be able to use the editor within Pro Tools in this way.  Just wanted to share that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2015 @ 10:54 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 24 August 2015 11:10 AM

[...]Just wanted to share that.

Thanks for posting your findings. Although I don’t personally use those applications, I’m sure there are other forum members who will find the information helpful.

[ Ignore ]