mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Single note on keyboard not producing any sound"

Page 3 of 4
Posted on: December 12, 2015 @ 11:08 PM
ecap12
Total Posts:  11
Joined  08-09-2015

Thanks for the link 5pinDIN. I checked it out, yikes that was a rough ending to that story. Definitely don’t want to make matters worse, with my Motif, especially because it’s only two dead keys. That being said corrosion definitely seems to be the issue here, and I certainly am in an area with a lot of salt in the air (Hawaii). And a replacement circuit board is pretty inexpensive I’d love to fix it, I just definitely don’t want to make matters worse or waste a bunch of money. Here are some close up photos. The keys that aren’t working are E and A#…
IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5012.JPG
IMG_5011.JPG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2015 @ 06:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
ecap12 - 12 December 2015 11:08 PM

[...]
Here are some close up photos. The keys that aren’t working are E and A#…
IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5012.JPG
IMG_5011.JPG

Sorry, but there are no viewable pictures.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2015 @ 11:39 PM
ecap12
Joined  08-09-2015

Sorry about that, looks like those photos were too big. I loaded up some much smaller photos, hopefully the quality is good enough that you can see what’s going on.

Thanks again for your help!

Image Attachments
IMG_5011-1.JPGIMG_5012-1.JPGIMG_5013-1.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2015 @ 04:24 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m not seeing anything obvious, but there are a couple of areas that I’m suspicious of. I tried enlarging the images, but they get too pixelated. Could you try again at the highest resolution that will attach?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2015 @ 06:14 PM
ecap12
Joined  08-09-2015

Hopefully these work. For some reason it isn’t allowing me to upload them in the highest quality even though it’s well within the max size… I don’t know. These should be better quality though. Thanks again!

Image Attachments
IMG_5013.JPGIMG_5012.JPGIMG_5011.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2015 @ 07:11 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ecap12 - 15 December 2015 06:14 PM

Hopefully these work. For some reason it isn’t allowing me to upload them in the highest quality even though it’s well within the max size… I don’t know. These should be better quality though. Thanks again!

You’re welcome.

There’s definitely corrosion. I’ve attached one of your images where I marked a particularly bad area with a red ellipse, although I think I see other spots. The marked area has one of the foils for the E key running through it (as well as others).

A skilled tech could fix this, but replacing the pc board would likely be less expensive and eliminate the chance that other areas on the board might be ready to fail. Of course, the “key” is to remove and replace the board without doing additional damage. Connectors in particular can sometimes be a challenge to someone not familiar with releasing them.

Image Attachments
IMG_5013marked.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2015 @ 02:49 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

I really don’t know why you haven’t taken this to an authorized Yamaha service technician to have this fixed. In my estimation it might cost you two hundred tops, probably less than that, and you could have the service guy put a “rush” on it for around 50 to 75 bucks if you want it as soon as possible.

My advice - unless you’re a skilled electronic musical instrument repairman yourself, stop wasting time and just take it in for service. Just as you do with your car.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2015 @ 03:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavePolich - 16 December 2015 02:49 PM

I really don’t know why you haven’t taken this to an authorized Yamaha service technician to have this fixed. In my estimation it might cost you two hundred tops, probably less than that, and you could have the service guy put a “rush” on it for around 50 to 75 bucks if you want it as soon as possible.

My advice - unless you’re a skilled electronic musical instrument repairman yourself, stop wasting time and just take it in for service. Just as you do with your car.

Dave, apparently service options in Hawaii are limited. However, if you know of qualified/trustworthy techs there, please post a list - being able to refer Motifator members to it might be helpful.

By the way, Dave, why don’t you help this guy?…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476424

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2015 @ 07:07 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
5pinDIN - 16 December 2015 03:59 PM
DavePolich - 16 December 2015 02:49 PM

Dave, apparently service options in Hawaii are limited. However, if you know of qualified/trustworthy techs there, please post a list - being able to refer Motifator members to it might be helpful.

By the way, Dave, why don’t you help this guy?…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476424

Anyone can get a list of authorized service centers in every state by visiting Yamaha.com.

Regarding nchrist’s question about 80’s snare sounds, that’s something he can figure out on his own. He’s a smart guy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2015 @ 07:55 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavePolich - 16 December 2015 07:07 PM

Anyone can get a list of authorized service centers in every state by visiting Yamaha.com.

It took some digging, but I finally found this:
http://usa.yamaha.com/dealers/service_locator/

One of two service providers that came up when entering some Oahu Zip codes…
http://www.eve-lynne.com/TPS_ELECTRONIC_SERVICE.html
...about whom I know nothing.

The web page mentions…
• Corrosion of mechanical and
electronic parts due to salt and
high humidity in the air.
...as a possible reason for repair to be needed, which would seem to indicate familiarity with the problem.

Good luck.

DavePolich -

Regarding nchrist’s question about 80’s snare sounds, that’s something he can figure out on his own. He’s a smart guy.

I’m sure he’ll appreciate your confidence in his abilities.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2015 @ 08:01 PM
ecap12
Joined  08-09-2015

Thanks again to both of you again for all your help, this really is one of the most helpful forums I’ve ever participated in. DavePolich I thought I had exhausted all the options for a qualified repair technician out here in Hawaii (where it is very limited) but through the Yamaha website I found a dealer I didn’t know about who referred me to their guy. So as long as everything pans out I’m going to definitely hire him to replace my PC board. That is something I’d really rather not do!

I guess my last question would be where’s the best place to find a replacement PC board, what is the part number, and how much does it typically cost? I’m planning on paying for shipping (freight) costs as well…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2015 @ 09:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ecap12 - 16 December 2015 08:01 PM

[...]
I guess my last question would be where’s the best place to find a replacement PC board, what is the part number, and how much does it typically cost? I’m planning on paying for shipping (freight) costs as well…

The board for the low keys in the XS is the MK61L. I provided the part number, etc., in the thread I linked to before:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475942
The information is in the last post on the first page.

However, you should probably contact the service provider first and determine whether they’d prefer getting the part themselves or have you do it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2015 @ 10:57 PM
ecap12
Joined  08-09-2015

Got it, so the MK61L part #WD80010R right? The technician told me to go ahead and purchase the part myself as he doesn’t get any kind of discount and then just bring the part and my keyboard to him.

Here’s the link to what I’m looking at buying:
https://www.yamaha24x7.com/YamahaOMS/EasyOrder/CheckOut.aspx?URLtoReturn=~/EasyOrder/QuickOrder.aspx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2015 @ 11:17 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ecap12 - 16 December 2015 10:57 PM

Got it, so the MK61L part #WD80010R right? The technician told me to go ahead and purchase the part myself as he doesn’t get any kind of discount and then just bring the part and my keyboard to him.

Here’s the link to what I’m looking at buying:
https://www.yamaha24x7.com/YamahaOMS/EasyOrder/CheckOut.aspx?URLtoReturn=~/EasyOrder/QuickOrder.aspx

The link you provided won’t show someone else what you see after doing a part lookup.

This page will work without registering if you have the part number:
https://www.yamaha24x7.com/YamahaOMS/EasyOrder/QuickOrder.aspx

Part #       Description            Qty    Total    
WD80010R     CIRCUIT BOARD MK61L     1     42.77

Shipping charges are additional, and I don’t know which US destinations are covered.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2015 @ 02:58 AM
ecap12
Joined  08-09-2015

Right, sorry about that. Thanks for the link, got the part and it’s on it’s way. Very reasonable price for the part and only $7.95 for shipping, with tax the total was $52.64. Getting excited to get my Motif back in business!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 4

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Live set up - follow up questions
Next Topic:

MOX Control Templates - Any New Ones? ››