mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Uploading voices to Motif XF8"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 04:14 PM
drraw
Total Posts:  54
Joined  04-09-2010

I have previously loaded Virtual Piano Sounds (Virtual PianosXF.n2) and they were found in user bank 4.  I had purchased “B’s Knees XF” and installed it according to manual instructions.  Of course, it overwrote the Virtual Piano sounds which I love.  Is it possible, and if so, how can I have both loaded on to my machine at the same time?

I have a Yamaha 1GB Flash Board for my MOTIF XF8

Thanks for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 04:30 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
drraw - 25 May 2015 04:14 PM

I have previously loaded Virtual Piano Sounds (Virtual PianosXF.n2) and they were found in user bank 4.  I had purchased “B’s Knees XF” and installed it according to manual instructions.  Of course, it overwrote the Virtual Piano sounds which I love.  Is it possible, and if so, how can I have both loaded on to my machine at the same time?

I have a Yamaha 1GB Flash Board for my MOTIF XF8

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you can have them both.

You must first determine in which BANK the new VOICES of the source file (for example B’s Knees) are contained.

Next, you will then LOAD that specific BANK of VOICES as a single BANK (NOT as an ALL file) to the XF...directed to the destination BANK of your choice.

For example, LOAD the Virtual Piano VOICES to BANK 4 and LOAD the B’s Knees VOICES to BANK 3.

If you LOAD an ALL file as and ALL file, it will overwrite all USER data.

If you LOAD a single BANK from an ALL file, only that BANK gets overwritten.

See:

Loading a specific Voice or all the
Voices of a specific Bank from an “all”
or “all voice” file

This can be found on page 243 of the XF Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 06:59 PM
drraw
Joined  04-09-2010

I am a happy man ... Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 07:04 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

One thing to keep in mind:

Although you overwrote the Virtual Piano BANK (and all the other USER BANKS!) with the B’s Knees All File, you did not do anything to the Sample data STORED on your Flash Board when you installed the Virtual Piano Library.

You should not...in fact you DO NOT...want to LOAD that Sample data back onto the Flash Board.  It will only create duplicates and waste space.

When you LOAD the Virtual Piano BANK of VOICES back in, you should set up the LOAD options as:

• USR > USR
• FL1 > None
• FL2 > None

See page 5 of This Article.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 07:04 PM
drraw
Joined  04-09-2010

Actually, I have the virtual piano loaded into user 4.  Attempting to load the single bank of B’s into user three.  I get thru everything, though when I select SF2 button, I do not get a response.  Any thoughts?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 07:06 PM
drraw
Joined  04-09-2010

too late on your follow-up “DO NOT”.  now what?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 07:14 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Well, now you most likely have two complete sets of Sample data from the Virtual Piano library on you Flash Board.  Probably over 500 MB of data.

Not the end of the world, but that is most likely where things stand.  You don’t say if there is any other sample data on the Flash Board, but if not you might want to re-format the Flash and start over with the Virtual Piano 1Bank LOAD.

Of course, with a re-formatted Flash (as in Empty), you would LOAD Burn) the sample data to the Flash Board again:

• USR > USR
• FL1 > FL1
• FL2 > FL2 or None
(There won’t be any FL2 sample data)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 07:57 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
drraw - 25 May 2015 07:04 PM

...I get thru everything, though when I select SF2 button, I do not get a response.  Any thoughts?

I’m not sure what to make of that, except you must be certain all of the required parameters are properly set or the LOAD option won’t be available.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 08:19 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Before reformatting the flash module, I’d suggest seeing what’s on it. Press [UTILITY], [F6](Flash), and determine the Total Size and Free Size. If the Virtual Pianos Collection was the only sample library loaded, about 259 MB should have been used. That would leave approximately 763 MB free. If only about 504 MB is left, then the Samples were duplicated. If so, then reformatting makes sense.

By the way, depending on how Load options are set, it’s also possible to have duplicated Waveforms, even if the Samples weren’t. Duplicate Waveforms can be removed with the Delete Same Name Waveforms Job, as detailed on page 15 of the XF Supplementary Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/53105).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 08:56 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 25 May 2015 08:19 PM

...By the way, depending on how Load options are set, it’s also possible to have duplicated Waveforms, even if the Samples weren’t…

Yes, quite true.  I would point the OP once again to the Article referenced...at the very least page 5...but really the whole thing contains very useful information.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 10:19 PM
drraw
Joined  04-09-2010

okay.  I had over 500 MB of data on the flash; hence it must have duplicated.  I reformatted the flash and I am now at ground zero.  I need to load up the virtual piano once again and then the B’s Knee.  When I load up the Virtual Piano and select “all”, do I want to load FL1 with or without samples?  Sorry for my novice ignorance here.  Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 10:41 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
drraw - 25 May 2015 10:19 PM

...I reformatted the flash and I am now at ground zero.  I need to load up the virtual piano once again and then the B’s Knee.  When I load up the Virtual Piano and select “all”, do I want to load FL1 with or without samples?  Sorry for my novice ignorance here.  Thanks

Yes, you now have an empty Flash Board.  Set the LOAD option to 1BANK, FL1>FL1, and LOAD the 1BANK of new Virtual Piano VOICES to the USER VOICE BANK of your choice.

When you then go to LOAD B’s Knees, simply LOAD the 1BANK of B’s Knees VOICES to a different USER VOICE BANK than the Virtual Piano VOICES now occupy.  Since there a no new samples, there is nothing to do with regard to your Flash Board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 12:21 AM
drraw
Joined  04-09-2010

I am trying to follow your instructions, but something is not jiving.  Here are 4 screen shots with the various options available to me.  When I select one bank, I do not get any of the other choices you indicate?

Image Attachments
XF8 and Flash.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 02:23 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
drraw - 26 May 2015 12:21 AM

I am trying to follow your instructions, but something is not jiving.  Here are 4 screen shots with the various options available to me.  When I select one bank, I do not get any of the other choices you indicate?

Your type = 1BANK VOICE screen is so far so good.  However, the ALL file you have highlighted needs to be opened (press Enter after highlighting) in order to select a BANK and get your LOAD options.

In other words, when the LOAD type is 1BANK, you must actually navigate to...and highlight...a single VOICE BANK folder to properly see the LOAD options for the Samples.

The takeaway is this:  Whatever type of LOAD you choose, you must navigate to… and highlight.. a file of that type, in order to see the LOAD options available.

File Mode is context sensitive .

See This Thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 02:03 PM
drraw
Joined  04-09-2010

First, let me indicate, that I’m sure it is I that is doing something wrong here, and to say it’s frustrating is an understatement.  If “type” does not include “all”, I get no ability to “load”. 1Bank will not all it to happen.  Also, I am happy to pay to have someone walk me thru this if need be. Thanks!

Also, another dumb question, I’m sure, but once I reformatted the module,should it be totally empty of any voices?  I ask this because the virtual piano voices seem to load on user 4, even though its manual references user 3.  I still have voices on user 3? I’m guessing that user 3 is not just sounds stored on the RAM card?

Additionally, in the case of Virtual piano or B’s Knees, or any other type of voice modules added, do I want to include the samples?

Thanks again

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 03:32 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
drraw - 26 May 2015 02:03 PM

First, let me indicate, that I’m sure it is I that is doing something wrong here, and to say it’s frustrating is an understatement.  If “type” does not include “all”, I get no ability to “load”. 1Bank will not all it to happen.  Also, I am happy to pay to have someone walk me thru this if need be. Thanks!

Also, another dumb question, I’m sure, but once I reformatted the module,should it be totally empty of any voices?  I ask this because the virtual piano voices seem to load on user 4, even though its manual references user 3.  I still have voices on user 3? I’m guessing that user 3 is not just sounds stored on the RAM card?

Additionally, in the case of Virtual piano or B’s Knees, or any other type of voice modules added, do I want to include the samples?

Thanks again

1) On the screen shot you attached, with the Type set to 1Bank, you have the ALL file highlighted in your directory.  With the ALL file highlighted, press enter.  That will open the selected All File, and now you should see the various USER BANKS in the File directory, and have the Flash Board Load options available.  Did you review Bad_Mister’s instructions in the Thread I linked to?  That is really a step-by-step to doing what you are trying to do (no payment required!).

2) USER BANK VOICES are completely separate from your Sample data on the Flash Board.  USER BANKS hold VOICES.  Flash Boards hold Sample Data.  You can LOAD VOICES into USER BANKS without ever addressing (or even needing) a Flash Board.  Deleting your Sample data from your Flash Board (Formatting) will not touch the VOICES in you USER BANKS.  However, any USER VOICES that depend on those samples will no longer play, of course.

3) The B’s Knees Library contains no new samples.  It uses the internal Samples that came with the machine.  Therefore, that Library will have no affect on your Flash Board.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3