mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Moxf8 recording"

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 11:34 PM
Tony S.
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-22-2015

Hi everyone,
I finaly returned to recording music after 25 years.
In February I purchased Moxf8 which came with Cubase AI 7. I recorded all 16 midi tracks in moxf “song” mode by using Cubase. I need to record more tracks in Cubase.  I tried using “external moxf8 vst” to record but no sound comes out.  I can record additional instrument tracks with Halion Sonic SE but I would prefer not to since I feel that moxf has much nicer sounds. Cubase AI 7 has 48 midi tracks and I would be greatful if someone could let me know how to record additional midi or instrument tracks by using moxf8 sounds to Cubase.

Thanks everyone and stay well.

Tony S.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 03:01 AM
DHTech
Total Posts:  62
Joined  11-20-2014

Maybe record them as audio and not midi.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 05:02 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Hi there

Since there are only 16 MIDI channels available, you’ll never be able to record more than 16 different tracks/voices per instance of any MIDI instrument. In the case of the MOX, one instance = one actual synth.

As previously suggested, you’ll have to bounce it down as audio (or buy a 2nd keyboard) ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 05:42 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Related previous threads and support article:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/456122
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475188
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_recording_tips_from_bad_mister

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 06:14 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Hello and welcome to Motifator.com

Hmm, 16 + tracks worth of ‘Motif’? I think even the most ardent Motif fan might raise a quizzical eyebrow at that? Using Cubase you can record a lot more tracks of course but if you’re quite content to use MOXF as your only sound source you might as well just record on the internal Pattern or Song sequencer, which actually is amazingly fast and flexible and fun - a lot more (in all those categories) than Cubase, I would argue!

While there’s no problem as such in restricting yourself to MOXF sounds (and, as has been suggested, if you print to audio you can use MOXF until you run out of tracks on Cubase), but music is generally enhanced with juxtapositions and contrasts. If everything comes from one source you will - if not your listening public - soon tire of hearing the same sounds ad nauseum.

The beauty of both Cubase and MOXF in fact is that you can, relatively easily, incorporate other sound sources into your productions and I’d recommend you at least give this route a try.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 06:39 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Are all 16 Parts playing all the time? If not, Program Change events, properly implemented, can be used to play additional Voices at various points on a track that would otherwise be silent.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2015 @ 09:43 PM
Tony S.
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-22-2015

Hi everyone and thank you for your suggestions. Since I ran out of 16 midi tracks in moxf8 I am trying your suggestion to record additional tracks in audio and also bounce the 16 midi tracks already recorded down to audio.  When I create an audio track I don’t hear any sound. I am not sure what settings need to be done for audio recording on Cubase ai 7. I did the settings for moxf from the manual instruction that came with it. I would appreciate your help.

Stay good.
Tony S.

[ Ignore ]