mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Bricked Motif XF8"

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 03:55 PM
rachafe9
Total Posts:  5
Joined  04-02-2015

Hey guys,

I had an XF8 come in this week that is a complete brick.  It goes through star-tup and then is completely unresponsive.  Screen appears that is finishes loading process but no buttons, keys, touch screen is responsive.  So obviously I am not able to go through the typical procedure for a factory reset.  Anyone know if there is a hard reset procedure that can be done while powering one?  IE hold a few keys while powering on that will force a reset?  Any other ideas? Thanks for your time and help, Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 08:35 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
rachafe9 - 20 May 2015 03:55 PM

I had an XF8 come in this week that is a complete brick.  It goes through star-tup and then is completely unresponsive.  Screen appears that is finishes loading process

Please describe the final screen display - is it the typical Master Play mode one?

rachafe9 -

but no buttons, keys, touch screen is responsive.[...]

OK, buttons and keys are unresponsive. However, the screen isn’t a touch sensitive type, so it’s normal for it not to respond to touch.

Which buttons and other LEDs are lit, if any?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 10:15 PM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-18-2009

I only have a Motif XS service manual PDF (my disassembly reference to clean stuck keys from time to time) but a search on “reset” didn’t find any power on system reset function mentioned in it. There is the Power On Auto Factory Set function, which only resets user patches and sequences, but that’s explained in the Owner’s Manual too.

Luckily 5pinDIN is here to help you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 12:01 PM
rachafe9
Joined  04-02-2015

5Pin:  Well at least the screen is working properly then haha.  Again it appears to startup correctly and finishes on what appears to be a “play” screen.  No keys trigger any sounds and no buttons respond or are lit.  Is there a reset procedure that can be done while powering on - IE holding a few buttons down while applying power?  The only one I’ve found is once the unit is up and you navigate through the utility menu.  Thanks again, Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 02:02 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

You say no buttons respond but, just to rule this out, does pressing Utility do anything and, if so, check that Local On/Off is set to On.

Press the [UTILITY]
Press [F5] followed by [SF2] to call up the MIDI display.
Move cursor to Local Control and set this parameter to
“on.”

Obviously if you are truly not able to call up any screens whatsoever then it’s probably time to contact Yamaha / authorized repair facility.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 02:03 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

There are a few power-up options, although none is a reset. Before going down that path, do you know anything about the history of the unit? Was it dropped, did it receive a power surge, was an OS update procedure interrupted, etc?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2015 @ 06:58 PM
rachafe9
Joined  04-02-2015

Nope, Utility button has no response.  No buttons respond or keys produce sound.  No idea what happened to it to get to the current state.  This came in for repair from a church who have no insight at all.  Again I was hoping there was a reset that could be done during power-up - no ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2015 @ 07:11 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
rachafe9 - 27 May 2015 06:58 PM

Nope, Utility button has no response.  No buttons respond or keys produce sound.  No idea what happened to it to get to the current state.  This came in for repair from a church who have no insight at all.  Again I was hoping there was a reset that could be done during power-up - no ideas?

The unit is hosed. This is not a software problem, it’s a hardware failure.

Are you an authorized Yamaha repair person? If not I’d take it to a Yamaha service center. Worst case, it will have to be shipped back to Yamaha in Buena Park, CA.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2015 @ 07:28 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

[...] No idea what happened to it to get to the current state.  This came in for repair from a church who have no insight at all.  Again I was hoping there was a reset that could be done during power-up - no ideas?

I have some ideas, but was hoping for some information which would help direct the approach. Since we have no helpful clues…

There’s a Test Mode which might be accessible even in the current state. With power to the XF off, press and hold down the [REMOTE] and [ * ](Record) buttons simultaneously and switch on the power. Continue to hold the two buttons down until MOTIF XF and TEST MODE are displayed - that should only take a few seconds. If that’s displayed, make note of the next screen, if any, which appears. Either way, don’t go further - power the XF off.

What appeared on the last screen displayed? My next suggestion will be based on that information.

Warning: For those of you who aren’t experiencing any problems with your XF,
do me (and yourself) a favor and don’t enter the Test Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2015 @ 11:11 AM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005
DavePolich - 27 May 2015 07:11 PM

Are you an authorized Yamaha repair person? If not I’d take it to a Yamaha service center. Worst case, it will have to be shipped back to Yamaha in Buena Park, CA.

hardware failure meaning what specifically?  I’m curious because you hardly ever hear or see about yamaha boards having these types of problems.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2015 @ 05:36 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Apex - 29 May 2015 11:11 AM
DavePolich - 27 May 2015 07:11 PM

hardware failure meaning what specifically?  I’m curious because you hardly ever hear or see about yamaha boards having these types of problems.

Umm, it’s a hardware failure because it’s not making sound and the buttons aren’t working..pretty obvious.

I wouldn’t know what the hell this is, I’m not a repairmen, But I know hardware failure when I see it. And because I’m not a repairman, I take it straight to someone who is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2015 @ 03:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Yamaha-authorized technicians aren’t the only people capable of servicing Yamaha products, and if anyone is interested in working on Yamaha gear, they should have the right to do so without discouragement. Hopefully anyone attempting repairs will recognize their limitations and not make things worse, but that’s a determination to be made by the individual.

http://www.digitalrighttorepair.org/
http://www.digitalrighttorepair.org/fair-repair/
http://www.digitalrighttorepair.org/electronics/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2022 @ 03:48 PM
jmseru
Total Posts:  1
Joined  07-21-2019

hi @rachafe9 were you able to solve this issue on the Motif XF8? @5pinDIN I’m facing the same issue. I would like to continue this thread and go through the Test mode process

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2022 @ 02:03 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Jmseru:  5pin is no longer on the forum,.  I’m not sure of others in the thread given it’s age.

[ Ignore ]