mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF Pattern Chaining & Muting / Live Looping and Recording"

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 02:27 PM
Blackbelt Jones
Total Posts:  3
Joined  05-20-2015

I have a 100% computer-free setup for sequencing / arranging (mostly XoX based… 303s, Elektron, etc) and I want to incorporate a workstation in my setup.

My workflow is nearly all pattern based and I need to ensure I can incorporate the XF in to my workflow.

I read the manuals but am still not entirely clear as to how the XF handle patterns, so PLEASE correct me if I am wrong…

The XF seems to allow pattern recording, live loop playing, pattern switching, pattern chaining, part and pattern muting… do I have that correct?

Is it fair to say that the Motif could basically act like a “groovebox” if I wanted to treat it as such? Building and switching loops/patterns on the fly, muting parts, etc?

Many thanks for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 03:04 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005

yes for the most part what you say is exactly correct for the motif xf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 03:20 PM
Blackbelt Jones
Joined  05-20-2015

Apex from Korg Forum? :-) Very cool! And thank you for your confirmation!

I used a Motif ages ago and seem to recall it was fairly easy to build blocks of patterns with it, but memory is a funny thing and manuals are hard for me to grock w/o the hardware under my fingertips.

If anyone uses the XF in this fashion I’d be interested in reading your thoughts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 09:23 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Not sure what “ages ago” means in terms of motif version, but the XS and XS larger screen and layout really streamlines workflow.  The pattern operations you want to accomplish are relatively simple, and quick, not having to thread different layers of a screen.  Heck in one pattern you have sections A-P all visible on the main screen.  You’re gonna have a feast!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 02:13 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

You have already had this confirmed and yes, you’ll find the XF extremely adept at live looping, switching, editing, re-mixing. There is written material here on Motifator, both in the forum plus in the main Motif XF and Motif XS articles area plus in BadMister’s blog, We also produced the Music Production with Motif video download and DVD, that should really put you in the driving seat, even though this program is focused more on recording Patterns and Song as opposed to using them live.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 06:18 PM
Blackbelt Jones
Joined  05-20-2015

Thank you both for your replies and tips.  Nice to know I didn’t make feature sets up.

After digging a bit deeper (YT, manuals, etc) the XF/XS pattern workflow reminds me of the old Yammy grooveboxes of the 90s actually.  It’s pretty cool that that DNA made its way through to the workstations.

One other positive point: the XF is a super tactile workstation.  Nice panel layout, thoughtful button choices, etc.  It rewards groovebox style jamming, though I am sure most people don’t use it that way. I think it will be a nice companion to my other tabletop gear.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Uptown Funk
Next Topic:

Bricked Motif XF8 ››