mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Logic 9 with MOX6 crazy latency on MIDI recording."

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 05:11 PM
mwd
Total Posts:  27
Joined  10-27-2011

I am sure it is my MIDI recording process but I have read til’ I’m blue in the face.

I wish to use the MOX6 to record MIDI so that I can visually edit my playing (I’m not a keyboard player).

My process is:
Create software instrument track.
Insert External Instrument plug profiled as MOX6
Mute track and arm.

Record.

I am getting my notes but the latency is horrible. I am having to nudge everything I record left for alignment.

I am using the MOX6 as the audio interface.

Any ideas as to some step or procedure I am missing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 05:24 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi mwd,

I have a slight idea of what your problem might be, but first of all can you tell me the reason why you are using your MOX as an audio interface?

Is it something you always do, or is it just for this task, because your post is all about MIDI data.

Secondly, could you tell me why you aren’t just using external MIDI tracks in Logic and why you decided to use an instrument track with that particular plug in on it?

They might seem like odd questions, but bear with me.

cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 06:08 PM
mwd
Joined  10-27-2011

philwood I can’t even remember why I use MOX6 as the audio interface or the software instrument track vs external instrument track.

Long ago I had trouble just getting a MIDI track to my DAW. I pulled it off and made notes as to how I did it. 

I have an RME Babyface, Saffire 40 as well as my Axe XL that I can use as audio interfaces. Usually preferring my Saffire 40 except when recording MIDI on the MOX6.

9 times out of 10 I just use the MOX6 as a trigger and pick the piano, string or organ plug-in after the fact to play back my MIDI track. Every once in a great while I will create a new track and playback and record MOX6 in real time to use an internal sound. I think that is why I used software instrument because I use 3rd party plug-ins afterwards. 

I have no trouble starting over or doing it different as long as I can lock onto something consistent and in time. That’s why I came here. I am not happy with my process or results.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 06:45 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Thanks for that.

Are you also saying that you don’t generally have the left and right analogue audio outputs of your MOX6 plugged into anything ... and are they in use now during your current problem?

In your set up, what is connected to your amplification/speakers?

Presumably your favourite interface?

How do you hear everything?

Were you attempting to hear an internal voice or performance from the MOX6 during your current problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 07:02 PM
mwd
Joined  10-27-2011

I never use the audio outs. As stated I am not a keyboard player. So I must always edit my MIDI and layer and merge my parts because honestly I can’t play them all simultaneously.

I plug Senn 650 headphones into the MOX6 using it as the audio interface and use the internal voices.

When I’m done editing and tracking I insert a piano or organ or string plug-in in the track for playback and revert to my normal interface.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 07:27 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Ok, let’s go for internal sounds first and put the soft synths aside for a moment.

Presumably you are using MIDI via USB To Host on the MOX6?

The most simple way of using the MOX6 with Logic and hearing its internal sounds is to have your headphones connected to it and create a fresh Logic session with as many external MIDI tracks as you think you need.

Put the MOX6 in Song Mode. (song mode is a multi part state with tracks 1 -16 directly corresponding to MIDI channels 1 - 16 and therefore the external MIDI tracks you’ve made in Logic)

Whatever sounds you set up in Song mode are the sounds Logic will play back, so there’s an excellent chance that they will all be a piano to begin with.

Also, go into Logic’s audio preferences and make sure that the MOX6 is not selected as either the input or output audio device.

This should be the simplest and least latent way.

Have a try that way, so that means no instrument tracks and no external instrument plug in. No muting etc

You hear it all via the headphones you have connected to the MOX6’s headphones jack.

Let me know specifically if you hear any doubling or anything latent when you try and record in Logic, too.

If you do it could well be that your MOX6’s local control is set to ON.  Please change it to OFF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 12:38 AM
mwd
Joined  10-27-2011

Philwood I just got home late from rehearsal and will try this in the morning but out of curiosity how will I hear my already recorded tracks in Logic if I have no audio interface selected in Logic?

I am laying keyboard parts down to other tracks already recorded. This is how I noticed the latency is the non-alignment to drums, guitars, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 07:02 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Phil is fine :-)

it’s just a test of MIDI.

I’m not saying that this is the way that you should always do things, but you’re complaining of crazy latency using MIDI.

So, spend 5 mins doing this, if you get no problems, take it up a step and add an audio interface. (from your array)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 09:17 AM
mwd
Joined  10-27-2011

OK. New Logic Project. Chose External instrument and created a few tracks. Buttons that say… Song/Pattern/Mixing I chose Song. Picked Utility and set Local control to off.

Song mode pulls up 01: Club Worx. I am seeing GM Device, Network Session, Other Objects and MOX6 Ports 1 thru 5, each having 16 programs in the Library Window. I choose Program 1 Grand Piano on the GM Device selection and don’t get the tones that are listed.

I rotate dial to get the selection off of ‘Club Worx’ into a blank area. # 4 is blank. Now I get Grand Piano sounds. I get Grand Piano on all 16 selections in the Library.

I record a few measures on track 1 and play back while looking at Piano Roll editor. Looks pretty well aligned to measures (used metronome) for human playback.

Not sure how to change sound or what to do next.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 09:42 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That sounds like a declaration from you that MIDI is working nicely, which is good news.

What you’ve done is the easiest way to just use MIDI to play sounds from your MOX.

You can change sounds in Song Mode with the Mixing button pressed.

(I forgot to mention that you’d encounter the demos in song mode, but you’ve found some blank songs set to pianos, so that’s cool)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 10:01 AM
mwd
Joined  10-27-2011

Sweet. Had no idea. OK in mixing I succeeded in pulling up a different voice for track 2 and recorded an organ and all seems aligned.

Now how do I bring my pre-recorded tracks into the equation to record the MIDI to.

I never start with MIDI it’s always an accent add on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 10:13 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Well the best thing about that so far is you’re probably not used to playing and being able to feel that you’re in time. So that might feel really good and fresh to you.

So what this means is that the problem is something to do with your audio routing, which was probably obvious to begin with anyway and very typical, but you needed to check your MIDI just to rule it out.

Am I right to presume that your other pre-recorded tracks that you mention are either on virtual instruments within Logic and additional audio tracks?

Am I also right to presume that you’d prefer working on the Saffire 40 as an interface?

Do you sing, record vocals or any other instruments?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 10:55 AM
mwd
Joined  10-27-2011

Where the keyboard is being used Saffire 40 is the audio interface of preference due to the Mix Control Software. I understand it better than Total Mix that Babyface uses. My workflow is:

Laydown guide track.
Friend lays down drums via superior drummer to guide track.
Bounce Superior MIDI to audio. All remaining tracks are audio excepting Keyboard. 
Record bass guitar direct.
I record 2 to 3 guitar parts via microphones or Fractal pre-amp.
Keyboards via MIDI for accents. Strings, FX, Piano, Organ whatever needed.
Record vocalist track.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 12:04 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That’s all very useful.

Based on that, I would go with your Saffire too and when you need to record any of the MOX’s internal sounds, which is probably rare, you should plug it’s analogue left and right outputs into your Saffire.

At all other times, the MOX6 should only be connected to your computer via USB as a simple MIDI controller.

How do you hear the output of your Saffire? Headphones? or is it connected to an amp and speakers?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 03:34 PM
mwd
Joined  10-27-2011

I have access to both but I usually do 95% of my work with the headphones. Out of the Saffire. Then do final mix checks on Adams self powered monitors. Out of the Saffire.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 03:59 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

So the question is then, if you set up a Logic session with the Saffire as the input and output audio device.

MOX6 connected via USB for MIDI.

One or two software instruments on instrument tracks.

One or two external MIDI tracks for your MOX6.  With one stereo audio track set up next to those external MIDI tracks to monitor the audio from the MOX6, which is plugged into your Saffire’s inputs. (otherwise you won’t be able to hear it)

Click on the little I on the audio track to monitor the input.

When and where do you get the latency?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2