mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Left channel lower on main output"

Posted on: May 17, 2015 @ 06:16 AM
Per_J
Total Posts:  10
Joined  12-27-2009

I have a problem with my Motif XF6.

It seems like my main outputs are slightly panned, the right output is a few db higher than the Left.

The headphone output however is perfectly centred.

The sound is ok, but I have to compensate this on the mixer during live gigs. I’ve tried to make a factory reset just in case. It didn’t help.

Any suggestions?

//PJ

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2015 @ 07:01 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

First let’s verify that the problem is in the XF6…

Swap the plug connections at the L/MONO and R main output jacks.
Is the level at the right speaker still higher than the left,
or is the left speaker level now higher than the right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2015 @ 12:35 PM
Per_J
Joined  12-27-2009

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I have verified that the problem is in the motif, the speaker connected to the L / Mono output is always lower.

Could it be caused by a dirty 1/4” socket (oxidation perhaps).

Is there any way to assign the assignable socket to work as a regular main output for troubleshooting?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2015 @ 01:44 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Per_J - 17 May 2015 12:35 PM

Thanks for your answer.

You’re welcome.

Per_J -

Yes I have verified that the problem is in the motif, the speaker connected to the L / Mono output is always lower.

Could it be caused by a dirty 1/4” socket (oxidation perhaps).

While that’s a possible cause, it’s unlikely. You could try removing and reinserting the plug, rotating it, wiping it with a clean cloth, etc.

Per_J -

Is there any way to assign the assignable socket to work as a regular main output for troubleshooting?

You can assign Parts of Performances or Pattern/Song Mixings to those outputs. For a Performance, see Output Select on pages 110-111 of the XF Reference Manual. Note that the System Effects won’t be applied to Parts routed to the ASSIGNABLE outputs.

Very few components can cause low level on one channel main output while the PHONES level isn’t affected. I’ve posted about leaky muting transistors several times. There are some simple external tests to check for that possibility. Do you have access to a DC voltmeter?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2015 @ 05:40 PM
Per_J
Joined  12-27-2009

Thank you again for great answers, sure i have a multimeter. I will try to search the forum for your post regarding leaky muting transistors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2015 @ 05:52 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Per_J - 17 May 2015 05:40 PM

Thank you again for great answers, sure i have a multimeter. I will try to search the forum for your post regarding leaky muting transistors.

You could find my previous posts, or I could post links to them, but here’s what to do…

Plug a TS cable into each of the main line outputs, L/MONO and R.
Set the MASTER VOLUME control slider all the way down.
Turn on the Motif.

Measure the DC voltage between Tip and Sleeve at the unconnected end of each cable. The voltage should be very low, certainly under 0.1 volt (100 millivolts) - anything over typically indicates a leaky muting transistor.

Let us know what reading you get.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 03:41 PM
Per_J
Joined  12-27-2009
5pinDIN - 17 May 2015 05:52 PM

You could find my previous posts, or I could post links to them, but here’s what to do…

Plug a TS cable into each of the main line outputs, L/MONO and R.
Set the MASTER VOLUME control slider all the way down.
Turn on the Motif.

Measure the DC voltage between Tip and Sleeve at the unconnected end of each cable. The voltage should be very low, certainly under 0.1 volt (100 millivolts) - anything over typically indicates a leaky muting transistor.

Let us know what reading you get.

It seems to be a leakage on the left channel, I’ve measured 0,19 V. On the right channel I measured 0,00 V.

I also find an old thread that describes a similar problem here
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471643/

Maybe it could be the muting transistor or a capacitor; anyway I will contact my local repair shop tomorrow.

Thank you so much for our help.
//Per

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 05:03 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Per_J - 20 May 2015 03:41 PM

It seems to be a leakage on the left channel, I’ve measured 0,19 V. On the right channel I measured 0,00 V.

I also find an old thread that describes a similar problem here
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471643/

Maybe it could be the muting transistor or a capacitor; anyway I will contact my local repair shop tomorrow.

DC leakage along with lowered level is typical of a bad muting transistor. If needed, 2SC3326 surface-mount transistors should be replaced with originals if available - if not, the only equivalent I’m aware of is the KTC2875.

Per_J -

Thank you so much for our help.
//Per

You’re welcome. I hope the repair goes well.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif 10th Anniversary Pack for sale (UK)
Next Topic:

Creating new voice library Melas ››