mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha and Motif Series"

Page 3 of 6
Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 01:06 PM
kb420
Total Posts:  726
Joined  04-11-2004

I didn’t mean to come off like a complainer, or someone who is trying to “bash” Yamaha.  I apologize to any of the forum members who replied to this thread and felt that way.  FWIW, I’ve decided to just wait.  At some point, I believe Yamaha will release a new Motif.  When that happens, I’ll make my decision. 

I still consider myself a Yamaha guy too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 05:30 PM
abdol
Total Posts:  318
Joined  05-30-2012

“If you don’t like it don’t buy it”
If you don’t like this post don’t post here simple :) You don’t own the forum nor the topics posted. Thanks for your opinion though!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2015 @ 10:25 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

i’ve been reading that “Yamaha will release a new Motif soon” for a very long time here at motifator

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2015 @ 03:24 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
motidave - 02 April 2015 10:25 PM

i’ve been reading that “Yamaha will release a new Motif soon” for a very long time here at motifator

Eventually it will likely be true, even if it won’t be called “Motif”.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 02:34 AM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

I almost bought a Kronos. I actually had one on order. But then I noticed that they have an annoyingly audible cooling fan, which was a deal-breaker for me.

Given my experiences with the XF7 I bought instead, I consider noticing the Kronos fan to have been a lucky break.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 10:09 AM
jazzpel
Total Posts:  4
Joined  04-06-2012

I’d like to just mention that total sample memory vs. available sample memory is subjective.  If you read the specs on the Kronos, it clearly states: 

RAM CAPABILITY
“Approx. 2GB
The memory available for Sampling Mode will change based on the use of Expansion PCM libraries and User Sample Banks. Approx. 760 MB is available when shipped from the factory (When loading the file named “PRELOAD.KSC”).

As for the comparing of sounds, well, the Kronos sounds great and the MOXF or MOTIFXF sound great, BUT THEY ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT ARCHITECTURES.  So really, as pointed out before, they can’t be compared.  For my money (which I like to keep a lot of), both my MotifXF and MOXF sound better and better the more I dig in and create.  Just saying.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 12:37 PM
keymangerbo
Total Posts:  3
Joined  02-19-2014

hi,

I played the Kronos 2 (I have a kronos 1) in a music store
and the new piano is good the rest is a sort of upgrade.

after 5 minutes I sat down at the motif xf and the sounds and performances are much better .

then I discovered the moxf8 and played for an hour almost every performances . I was impressed how good they are just the music
ambiance I like .

I find the moxf8 much more better then the kronos 2 !!

I’m waiting now for more then 1.5 years for the new Yamaha top synth.
and I think because of the long waiting for a motif successor
it will be a new concept and will smash the kronos 2 to pieces .

I can’t wait to see ,hear and buy one !!
Maybe Frankfurter messe they will released it .....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 04:55 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

I don’t know if Korg has any forums that are like this one. If they don’t, that would be another reason to prefer the Motif…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 05:38 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

If I hadn’t bought my XF7 now many years ago, before Kronos came out, today i’d probably buy a MOXF and a VR-09 or FA-06, neither of which were out either.  At that time, I didn’t like the mid-range stage performance boards at all.  it was a fricken Gaia, or a workstation sort of option. 

MOXF would give me everything I need / use in my XF for much less, and I’d add a decent clonewheel or a second alt synth station. despite all fans and advocates, I find the B3 abilities of the XF rompler to be utterly inadequate.

The clear market trend is in affordable stage performance keyboards imo.  I think thats why we haven’t seen MOTIF XXX ON STEROIDS, but what the heck do i know…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 05:40 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010
jazzpel - 04 April 2015 10:09 AM

I’d like to just mention that total sample memory vs. available sample memory is subjective.  If you read the specs on the Kronos, it clearly states: 

RAM CAPABILITY
“Approx. 2GB
The memory available for Sampling Mode will change based on the use of Expansion PCM libraries and User Sample Banks. Approx. 760 MB is available when shipped from the factory (When loading the file named “PRELOAD.KSC”).

As for the comparing of sounds, well, the Kronos sounds great and the MOXF or MOTIFXF sound great, BUT THEY ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT ARCHITECTURES.  So really, as pointed out before, they can’t be compared.  For my money (which I like to keep a lot of), both my MotifXF and MOXF sound better and better the more I dig in and create.  Just saying.

If one’s primary priority is the sound(s) coming out of a hardware, than thats perhaps the most important comparison of all.  HOW the board creates those sounds is completely irrelevant to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 08:00 PM
kb420
Joined  04-11-2004
jazzpel - 04 April 2015 10:09 AM

RAM CAPABILITY
“Approx. 2GB

The ram isn’t as important as you may think in the Kronos because it streams the larger patches from the SSD.  The Berlin Grand is 9 Gb.  So, Kronos definitely isn’t loading that entirely in to ram at all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 08:03 PM
kb420
Joined  04-11-2004
Michael Trigoboff - 04 April 2015 04:55 PM

I don’t know if Korg has any forums that are like this one. If they don’t, that would be another reason to prefer the Motif…

http://www.korgforums.com/forums-frame.htm

Scroll down and you’ll see the Kronos forum just under “Korg Digital Synths / Workstations”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 09:22 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Not by anyone who has any authority and/or who knows anything, though!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2015 @ 01:23 AM
kb420
Joined  04-11-2004
MrMotif - 04 April 2015 09:22 PM

I agree.  That’s the point of this thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2015 @ 01:41 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
kb420 - 05 April 2015 01:23 AM
MrMotif - 04 April 2015 09:22 PM
motidave - 02 April 2015 10:25 PM

I agree.  That’s the point of this thread.

Since those who know aren’t saying anything here, doesn’t that actually make this thread kind of pointless?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 6