mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "volume differences"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 20, 2015 @ 11:55 PM
pblais
Total Posts:  95
Joined  03-05-2015

Using the rack editor, I find that the volume of any given note is considerably louder when I click on the virtual keyboard than when I play the same note on my MIDI keyboard.. And I have the volume control on my MIDI keyboard turned all the way up and the expression pedal all the way as loud as it can go.
Any idea why that might be?
Is there a “master volume” on the editor?  The volume knob on the rack itself works but it turns both the MIDI volume and virtual keyboard volume up or down equally.

Thanks
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2015 @ 01:49 AM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011

When you click on the keys in the Editor, if I recall correctly (not in front of it right now), the position of the mouse on the key controls the velocity the key is played with. If you click all the way towards the bottom end (I think), it will be loud, and softer as you go up the key vertically.

It’s quite possible that when you are clicking at the bottom end of the key, you are generating notes with a velocity of 127 (the highest possible value) - which would be like hammering your controller keyboard with everything you’ve got. And in fact, some controller keyboards, no matter how hard you hit them, make it very difficult to get up to 127 or not at all. So, it’s possible that clicking on the Editor’s keyboard is generating notes much harder than you are playing them on the keyboard - hence, they are “louder”.

You could test this by taking an example voice and removing all velocity sensitivity from the filters and the amp section, so that whether you play the note hard or soft it’s the same volume - and I bet then that the Editor’s MIDI Keys and your controller will sound the same level.

EDIT: additional information: If you go into the Editor’s File > Setup, there is a preference setting for how the keys on the MIDI keyboard work: they can be velocity sensitive (like I explained above, which would be the “Free” mode), or you can set a fixed velocity level which defaults to 100. You might check that, and play around with it.

- Stephen Kay
KARMA Developer :: karma-lab.com
Check out the KARMA Motif Software for the Rack-XS!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2015 @ 09:03 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

Thanks Stephen..
You were right about where I am clicking on the note on the virtual keyboard… One end is really soft and the other end is really loud.

But, when I tried File > Setup, and set the keyboard velocity to fixed, I wasn’t able to get any difference in volume from each extreme. If I set it to 1 or 127, it always sounded the same.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2015 @ 11:31 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Many controller keyboards have adjustable key velocity. In a previous thread you mention M-Audio - which one?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 12:56 AM
Stephen Kay
Joined  01-13-2011
pblais - 21 March 2015 09:03 PM

But, when I tried File > Setup, and set the keyboard velocity to fixed, I wasn’t able to get any difference in volume from each extreme. If I set it to 1 or 127, it always sounded the same.

That’s right - that’s what fixed means. If you set it to fixed and 100, it will always send a velocity of 100 regardless of where you click on the note. It means that there is no variation on the virtual keyboard and it always sends the same velocity. Some people might prefer it that way - for example, if it starts to bug you that it sounds softer/louder depending where you click on the key.

Now, if you’re saying that “fixed” with “1” sounds the same as “fixed” with “127” - then it might be that the voice you have selected is not velocity sensitive. Like an organ voice, maybe. Try it with a piano. I will admit that I’ve never used this setting, so I don’t know if it works or not. I’ve been explaining the theory of it. ;-)

- Stephen Kay

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 04:04 AM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 21 March 2015 11:31 PM

Many controller keyboards have adjustable key velocity. In a previous thread you mention M-Audio - which one?

Keystation 88

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 04:08 AM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
Stephen Kay - 22 March 2015 12:56 AM

Now, if you’re saying that “fixed” with “1” sounds the same as “fixed” with “127” - then it might be that the voice you have selected is not velocity sensitive. Like an organ voice, maybe. Try it with a piano. I will admit that I’ve never used this setting, so I don’t know if it works or not. I’ve been explaining the theory of it. ;-)

- Stephen Kay

That’s exactly what I am saying.  And, as you suggested, I suspected a non velocity sensitive voice. But it does the same on organ or piano.  It’s not a big deal.  I don’t use the virtual keyboard anyway. Thanks for the help

Cheers
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 04:16 AM
Stephen Kay
Joined  01-13-2011
pblais - 22 March 2015 04:08 AM

I don’t use the virtual keyboard anyway.

So then, what is this entire thread about? Am I nuts, or was it about you wondering why the virtual keyboard was louder than your controller? :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 08:10 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 22 March 2015 04:04 AM
5pinDIN - 21 March 2015 11:31 PM

Keystation 88

Is that the exact model? For example, the 88es doesn’t have any velocity curve settings, while the Pro 88 does.

If you need a different velocity curve and your controller doesn’t have the capability, one of these could help:
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 12:49 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
Stephen Kay - 22 March 2015 04:16 AM

So then, what is this entire thread about? Am I nuts, or was it about you wondering why the virtual keyboard was louder than your controller? :-)

I was about me wondering if that volume difference being caused by something wrong.  And now I know there is nothing wrong and, in the process, I learned something more about the >File >setup screen.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 12:57 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 22 March 2015 08:10 AM

Is that the exact model? For example, the 88es doesn’t have any velocity curve settings, while the Pro 88 does.

Yes, Keystation 88 is the exact model. It is not an 88es or Pro 88. check this site:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/keystation-88#.VQ72-uFQRm0

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 01:46 PM
Stephen Kay
Joined  01-13-2011
pblais - 22 March 2015 12:49 PM

I was about me wondering if that volume difference being caused by something wrong.  And now I know there is nothing wrong and, in the process, I learned something more about the >File >setup screen.

I see - no problem. Good luck! :-)

- Stephen Kay

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 04:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

It isn’t just a matter of volume level. If your controller is incapable of hitting velocity levels of near 127, then what you play will likely be missing the dynamics (and perhaps more) the XS can deliver. In many cases, you won’t even get to hear some Elements of a Voice at all, since they aren’t triggered below certain velocity levels.

I’d suggest experimenting with the Editor’s virtual keyboard using several different XS Voices, and if things sound better/different to you at high velocity, consider doing something to increase the velocity level the XS sees.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 05:57 PM
Stephen Kay
Joined  01-13-2011

One thing you could do is use a MIDI-monitoring application on your computer to view the velocities coming from your keyboard and see what the levels are like, if you are interested.

Windows: http://www.midiox.com
Mac: http://www.snoize.com

- Stephen Kay

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 02:08 AM
Olveria
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-25-2014

It’s funda galaxy A5 quite possible that when you are clicking funda piel galaxy s6 edge at the bottom end of the key, you are generating notes with a velocity of 127.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 05:23 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

OMG....  I didn’t understand how much of a piece of s**t this M-Audio keyboard is.
I got my Midi Solutions Velocity Converter and the one-into-two Midi thru.
I connected the Velocity Converter to my keyboard’s MIDI out connector and the LED on the converter doesn’t light or blink.  As it turns out, this keyboard does NOT provide power on the MIDI connector so now I have to buy a $50 power adapter from Midi Solutions

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Is this normal?
Next Topic:

MIDI key velocities and hook up questions ››