mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "iPAD Apps and Motif-Rack XS"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 21, 2015 @ 11:07 PM
PatAzz
Total Posts:  57
Joined  01-25-2011

Sorry folks (especially you BadMister) as I’ve seen a lot of topics on this, but can’t find one that’s specific to the Motif Rack XS.

Of course, I try this the night before I could really use it (usually Saturday night before I want to use it at church on Sunday morning :) ). What I really want is to be able to edit mutli’s during rehearsal for use later in the morning without having to bring up my laptop, etc.).

No matter which settings I play with, I can’t seem to get this to work (always get the Timeout Error) on either of my ipads A(iPad 1 and iPad Mini) to work with my Motif Rack XS.

Here’s what I’m doing:

1. iPad connected to Rack XS USB in, using the camera Kit USB connector

2. Rack XS MIDI (Utility | MIDI | MIDI In/Out) is set to USB

3. Start Multi Editor or Voice Editor on iPad

4. Click gear in upper right corner and select
MIDI Type = Cable
Model Select = Motif Rack XS

5. Click on RECEIVE button (upper left corner)

RESULT: Message Timeout Error

I don’t see any MIDI activity light flash when I do this, nor if I play with any of the controls on screen.

I’m sure I’m missing something

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Pat

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2015 @ 01:52 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

I don’t think you can use the USB on the Rack in that way.  It is not meant to hook up any kind of controller.  You can only use the editor from the computer.  To do what you want will require using MIDI In/Out cables.

You will need something like the iConnectMIDI2+ (http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/iConnectMIDI2plus) or an iOS MIDI Interface like the iRig MIDI2 from IK Multimedia (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi2/)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2015 @ 07:43 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

You could use USB connection only for sending information from iPad apps to Rack, like selecting sounds. As SSquared sad, you should use some alternative interface that uses standard 5-pin MIDI on Rack. I’m using Yamaha i-MX interface that has 30pin connector on one side (for iPad2 and older devices) and MIDI connectors (in and out) on the other side.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2016 @ 01:44 AM
Garrison
Total Posts:  50
Joined  12-03-2015
nbadesign - 22 February 2015 07:43 PM

You could use USB connection only for sending information from iPad apps to Rack, like selecting sounds. As SSquared sad, you should use some alternative interface that uses standard 5-pin MIDI on Rack. I’m using Yamaha i-MX interface that has 30pin connector on one side (for iPad2 and older devices) and MIDI connectors (in and out) on the other side.

Alex

When adding a MIDI keyboard controller to the setup listed above, how would I plug in the MIDI cables?
Example:  If the cables from the iPad go to and from the Motif-Rack XS, where would the MIDI cables from the controller be placed?
Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2016 @ 08:18 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

[quote author="Garrison" date="1456220651When adding a MIDI keyboard controller to the setup listed above, how would I plug in the MIDI cables?
Example:  If the cables from the iPad go to and from the Motif-Rack XS, where would the MIDI cables from the controller be placed?
Thank you.

When you want to edit sounds or multis using iPad applications, than you could not (at least I did not have success) use USB cable connection to Rack XS. I’ve always receive “timeout error” when I tried to read data from Rack XS. But, transmitting messages to Rack XS works fine, so you could use “Program select” function in Voice Editor app to easily change voices on Rack XS. In that case, you could use 5pin DIN MIDI to trigger notes from some keyboard that has standard MIDI port.
Other solution(s) requires additional MIDI interface. For instance, I’m using iConnectMIDI that is capable to connect both USB and standard MIDI devices. With it, I used keyboard controller with USB only and connect both Rack XS and keyboard over USB hub to USB input on MIDI interface. Receiving data from Rack XS still don’t work in such manner, but that is not important for me in this setup.
Other way that I have also checked is to connect Yamaha i-MX interface to iPad and to iConnectMIDI using 5pin port 2 (both IN and OUT). MIDI OUT of keyboard controller (MOXF in my case) is connected to MIDI IN port 1 on iCM and Rack XS MIDI IN is connected to MIDI OUT port 1 on iCM. This setup needs to be configured using software that comes for iConnectMIDI, in order to filter data that is sent from Rack XS to the app on iPad not to be sent also to keyboard controller.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2016 @ 11:07 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
Garrison - 23 February 2016 01:44 AM

If the cables from the iPad go to and from the Motif-Rack XS, where would the MIDI cables from the controller be placed?
Thank you.

You would need a MIDI merger box.  This has two MIDI INs and one MIDI OUT, so both the controller and the iPad can be connected to the Rack at the same time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2016 @ 12:03 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

meatballfulton - 23 February 2016 11:07 AM
Garrison - 23 February 2016 01:44 AM

If the cables from the iPad go to and from the Motif-Rack XS, where would the MIDI cables from the controller be placed?
Thank you.

You would need a MIDI merger box.  This has two MIDI INs and one MIDI OUT, so both the controller and the iPad can be connected to the Rack at the same time.

I’m not using MIDI merger box, since iConnectMIDI has two standard MIDI ports (two times 5pin MIDI IN and OUT). So, one port is used for iPad (over i-Mx) and the other port is used as a joint between Rack XS and keyboard. All routing should be done once in software, than it is saved to the interface without need for computer.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2016 @ 12:38 AM
Garrison
Joined  12-03-2015

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.
So, there is:

MIDI Solutions Merger 2 Input MIDI Merger

iConnect MIDI

Yamaha i-MX1

iRig MIDI 2

Alex mentioned:

I’m not using MIDI merger box, since iConnectMIDI has two standard MIDI ports (two times 5pin MIDI IN and OUT). So, one port is used for iPad (over i-Mx) and the other port is used as a joint between Rack XS and keyboard. All routing should be done once in software, than it is saved to the interface without need for computer.

Alex, what does this software look like and where is it?

Unless I’m missing something, ‘meatballfulton’ seems to offer a simple method that may be easier for me to start with.  Not sure though?????

All of you have great ideas to help but I really can not discern which method I should try first.

I tried the camera kit routine since I already had one in the house for the Mac.  ‘Tiime Outs’ is all I got even when setting the Utility>MIDI> USB setting on the Rack-XS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2016 @ 02:49 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Garrison - 24 February 2016 12:38 AM

Alex, what does this software look like and where is it?

Software for iPad could be loaded from App Store and for PC/Mac you could find
at iConnectivity.com. It has all options for routing between ports, filtering MIDI messages and saving various configurations as presets that could be as needed sent to the interface.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2016 @ 07:21 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

I forgot to add one note. Device iConnectMIDI is marked as legacy, since it is now obsolete. I do not know why newer device that replaced this one does have only two standard MIDI ports. USB ports are reserved only for PC/Mac and iOS devices. In that case you could not use newer USB only controllers to control devices like Rack XS that could be only connected via 5pin DIN MIDI, while USB is reserved only for communication with computer.
The main feature of the legacy device is that you could connect two devices over 5pin MIDI and up to 8 USB devices (keyboards and different kind of MIDI controllers) using powered USB hub.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2016 @ 01:04 AM
Garrison
Joined  12-03-2015

Alex,

I’m guessing this is the Legacy module you referred to.
Is this correct?

IconnectMIDI

If I were to use 2 MIDI Controller Keyboards with Motif-Rack XS and iPad editor;
Would it be the correct assumption to purchase the iConnect 4+?

iConnectMIDI 4+

I sure wish there was some way to work-around the need for the Yamaha i-MX1.
Yamaha i-MX1
I just do not like units with proprietary cables.  If a cable goes bad, you have troubles, especially at a gig.

How about your thoughts on the two keyboard idea.
Thanks much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2016 @ 07:35 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Garrison - 25 February 2016 01:04 AM

Alex,

I’m guessing this is the Legacy module you referred to.
Is this correct?

IconnectMIDI

Yes. That’s the Legacy module that I have.

If I were to use 2 MIDI Controller Keyboards with Motif-Rack XS and iPad editor;
Would it be the correct assumption to purchase the iConnect 4+?

iConnectMIDI 4+

Yes. This is module that I will probably prefer to change the legacy one. This have two more standard 5pin MIDI ports and along with USB MIDI support it has Ethernet port. Highly recommended, esp. since the price is the same as it was for legacy module ($199).

I sure wish there was some way to work-around the need for the Yamaha i-MX1.
Yamaha i-MX1
I just do not like units with proprietary cables.  If a cable goes bad, you have troubles, especially at a gig.

How about your thoughts on the two keyboard idea.
Thanks much!

The only reason why I have bought i-MX1 is due to the fact that Yamaha MOXF didn’t support USB connection with iOS devices at the moment when I got it (2013). Since I’m using Yamaha applications on iPad, I want to keep this portability. Fortunately, Yamaha upgraded firmware for MOXF soon and now USB connection could be used for both MIDI and audio with iOS devices. I’m still using i-MX1 when I want to have full control of Rack XS from Yamaha applications.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2016 @ 01:20 AM
Garrison
Joined  12-03-2015

I guess I’ll try the MIDI Solutions Quadra Merge and the Yamaha i-MX1.

iConnectMIDI 4+ with the software is still something to consider.

Thanks to all of you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2016 @ 01:38 AM
Garrison
Joined  12-03-2015

I just checked here:

Midisolutions FAQ

My Hammond SK! will not power the MIDI Boxes.

I have to use:

iConnectMIDI4plus

Just wanted anyone following this thread to check there equipment compatibility.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2016 @ 02:02 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Garrison - 27 February 2016 01:38 AM

I just checked here:

Midisolutions FAQ

See http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 29, 2016 @ 02:39 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Garrison - 27 February 2016 01:38 AM

I just checked here:

Midisolutions FAQ

I have to use:

iConnectMIDI4plus

Just wanted anyone following this thread to check there equipment compatibility.

Yes, I have read it just after I have purchased MIDI Breathe Control interface. Since their devices are supplied from standard MIDI port, some keyboards and MIDI devices could not support it, so you have to spent some more money for additional power supply that should be ordered from manufacturer.
They also send me an e-mail with thanks cause I told them that iConnectMIDI works with their interface, so they could add it to the supported device list.

Alex

P.S. Better solution is iConnectMIDI4+

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2