mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX setup questions"

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 01:10 PM
Clevecavs
Total Posts:  18
Joined  02-18-2015

Hi All,

I am getting an MOX6 on Friday and have been reading as much as possible regarding how to best set up in my existing configuration.  The more I read the more confused I get unfortunately.  I will try to be brief with my questions but will need to give you the relevant info.

Current setup - Mac Desktop I7 with 16 Gigs Ram, Logic Pro X, Saffire Pro Firewire Interface, Studio Monitors running out of interface, Axiom 25 midi controller hooked up via USB to computer, Old Yamaha YPG with audio out run to Interface and USB hooked up to computer.

Usage: I primarily use the Yamaha as a Midi controller.  I will sometimes record as audio but I have much better Samples through Logic.  I Rarely use the axiom at all as its 25 keys.  I frequently run acoustic guitar, sometimes electric through Interface as well as vocals (Condenser Mic so I need Phantom power)

OK.... 

1- I want to keep my existing Interface and hook up the MOX6 and will Logic recognize them both so I can use either (as far as inputs) during a session? 

2 - If I run the audio out on board to existing interface I’m assuming I will have to have the computer on to just play around with the MOX.  Could I split the Audio out and run directly to the 2nd input on my monitors as well as the Interface so I can play without firing up computer?

3 - I know I can record into Logic as Audio but can I Use the sounds from the MOX and record into Logic as Midi?  If so can I take a layered performance and record onto separate Midi tracks in Logic? How about as separate Audio Tracks? 

My goal is to sometimes use the board as a Midi Controller and get rid of my old Yamaha YPG.  I of course want to use the great Tones that come with the MOX and while I can pipe it in as Audio I would really want to record the MOX Tones as Midi on occasion so I can edit them from within the DAW as needed.

Sorry so wordy, just trying to figure out the best way to set this up with the new equipment.

Thank, Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 02:14 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
Clevecavs - 18 February 2015 01:10 PM

1- I want to keep my existing Interface and hook up the MOX6 and will Logic recognize them both so I can use either (as far as inputs) during a session?

Yes, if you connect your MOX via USB at the same time, you can create what is called an aggregate device using the Audio MIDI Setup Utility.  It rubber bands the two devices together, so that your DAW sees them as one interface.  Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

2 - If I run the audio out on board to existing interface I’m assuming I will have to have the computer on to just play around with the MOX.  Could I split the Audio out and run directly to the 2nd input on my monitors as well as the Interface so I can play without firing up computer?

it’s very likely that you will need to use your computer at the same time, but sometimes, as long as the interface is powered up, you can use it without a computer.  If the interface is usb powered, then it is unlikely, but if the interface has its own power supply, you may be in luck.

3 - I know I can record into Logic as Audio but can I Use the sounds from the MOX and record into Logic as Midi?  If so can I take a layered performance and record onto separate Midi tracks in Logic? How about as separate Audio Tracks?

Yes, there are several threads about splitting up performances to seperate MIDI and audio tracks here on Motifator and there are some tutorials on the new Music Production with Motif Video.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 06:35 PM
Clevecavs
Joined  02-18-2015

Thanks for your prompt and thorough answers.  I have been on this forum a lot this week and have bookmarked many of your answers to others so many thanks.

Silly question now.  Once I plug the MOX in via USB and create an aggregate device I’m assuming I should then select that aggregate device as a default in LPX?  If Im am using LPX without the MOX turned on will I have to change the setting in LPX or will it still use the aggregate device just less the additional inputs?

Along those same lines I have my Saffire as my audio in and out device at all times on my mac so Music, movies etc play through my monitors.  If I turn on the mac without turning on the keyboard will it still recognize the safari as part of the aggregate device?

last but not least (For Now).  If I pug a 1/4 line into the headphone jack on the MOX, split it and run it into the 2nd input on my monitors would that serve the purpose of bypassing my Interface in the event I just want to sit and play the MOX without running the computer or would the signal be poor since I am using a headphone jack and splitting it.

Thanks again for your patience.  I have dodged most of this due to my very basic setup and now need to learn much more about Midi and audio interfaces…

Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 07:59 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I’m not currently in a position to test what happens if you turn half of an aggregate device off, but you could think about it like this:

OSX deals with all audio devices via the Audio MIDI Setup, so, if one isn’t available for any reason, Logic can’t use it and will most likely bleat about it.

If you turn the MOX off, it won’t show as available in the Audio MIDI Setup utility, so it is likely that your aggregate device won’t show up at all in Logic as a result.  Logic will show a dialogue box saying that it couldn’t find the previously used audio interface. (or similar words)

For the sake of 5 seconds, no matter what happens, you could easily just change the interface setting in Logic!

You have no reason to use an aggregate device for system audio, so as long as your system audio output is still set to use the Focusrite, then whatever you do with the MOX won’t affect that.  The aggregate device is meant for Logic and only selected by Logic.

I’m not totally sure, but I’m pretty sure that an aggregate device does not replace your devices as individual devices for individual use, it just offers an option to use them together.

In terms of hearing your MOX alone, you should be using its left and right analogue audio outputs. I’d never recommend connecting the headphones out to speakers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 08:34 PM
Clevecavs
Joined  02-18-2015

Thanks again.  Just trying to streamline my setup since my daughter uses it as well but usually uses Garage Band for her recording as it’s usually pretty basic 2 track stuff with minimal effects so I’m trying to avoid the “If that’s turned on, unplug these and plug them in over here” type conversations but I guess as the setup grows she will have to invest some time learning the ins and outs of it.

When I create the aggregate device on the Mac what should I use as the clock source?  My understanding is that when I set up the Aggregate the primary inputs will be from the device I check first in the setup screen.  Does it matter what I use as the clock source?  I know on my saffire the clock source is set to internal but since thats the only interface I use that makes sense.  Not sure once I combine a couple of interfaces which way to go on this.

You’ve been a huge help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 09:01 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Yes, I don’t think you’ll have any problems with the system audio for your daughter. That shouldn’t change at all.

I’d be inclined to go with the Focusrite for clock source, since you treat it as the primary device.

Here’s a helpful apple article covering creating an aggregate device, too.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI File won’t transfer.
Next Topic:

Volume control in Logic ››