mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "can’t get to bounce midi tracks in place"

Posted on: February 13, 2015 @ 06:57 PM
stroman
Total Posts:  12
Joined  04-23-2012

Hi, I have recorded several tracks in pattern mode in MOX8, then recorded them in LPX as external instrument midi tracks, each track is assigned on appropriate midi channel so that it plays with correct voice of yamaha’s sequencer and I was happy. Then I wanted to bounce some tracks in place to convert midi into audio tracks, but it doesn’t work. The only way is to bounce entire output and only in real time mode! As far as logic plays voices of external device (MOX) It probably can’t do that faster way, but why it can’t bounce tracks or regions in place using same real time mode that exists for output bouncing?
Another problem I can’t find a solution is when trying to mute these tracks in logic they are still heard but less loud. Even muting all tracks in both (logic’s and yamaha’s) sequencers won’t work either! Where is the key? Please!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2015 @ 07:11 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi stroman,

I have a little bit of an idea of what your problems might be, but first, could you tell me as much as you can about how everything is connected, right down to how you are hearing your MOX8 and your computer/Logic.

Please be as descriptive as you can.

I’d never expect ‘bounce in place’ to work with a hardware keyboard.

It’s perfectly fine for your various virtual synths and audio tracks and so you’d need to record your MOX8 as audio on audio tracks, rather than hoping ‘bounce in place’ will convert the sound made from external MIDI playback to a rendered audio region.

The reason why Logic won’t bounce external audio in place is because that audio is nothing to do with Logic.  The audio is coming from the MOX8 and is not in Logic as such, you are just hearing it alongside anything you may also be hearing from Logic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2015 @ 08:02 PM
stroman
Joined  04-23-2012

Hi, thanks for reply!
I use built-in audio/midi/usb interface of my MOX. It works perfectly for recording audio (both part 3-4 and A/D input 1-2), also as midi controller when working with logic’s software instrument tracks. I think I understand routings in those two cases. So recording audio is easy to me. It’s frustrating, if there is no possibility to bounce in place multiple tracks, because the idea was to edit midi data rather then audio. Though I still can record a single midi track, edit and bounce it in one project and then copy audio track to another project and so on? It would take lots of time (..  What about muting issue? Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2015 @ 08:18 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

There isn’t a way to bounce external audio in place, sorry, and most people adjust/refine the MIDI data until it sounds right FIRST and then route and record it to audio tracks when they are totally happy.

Instrument tracks will always be possible to bounce in place simply because the audio is generated from within Logic.

Your workaround is no different to doing what I suggested though and might be slower given the fact that you could route audio from the MOX to Logic using 1 - 2 and 3 - 4 at the same time. (if you aren’t using your A/D inputs)

Your muting problem is interesting.

Can you tell me how you listen to the MOX?, you’ve told me you are using the built in interface, which is fine, but that’s not how you are listening, that just routes audio back and forth.

Also, can you tell me exactly what kind of tracks you have muted?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2015 @ 08:45 PM
stroman
Joined  04-23-2012

I am speaking about tracks of external instrument which is MOX. These are recorded in MOX’s sequencer, then I put an external inst. plug-in on each strip in logic. In the plug-in’s interface I assigned port1 and channels 1-16 just like in the MOX. Then I recorded each track from MOX to Logic one by one. It playbacks alright when the song/pattern mode on the MOX is on. Local control is off. MOX is connected to the mac via usb, monitors - to the outputs L/R. All other scenarios work fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2015 @ 08:50 PM
stroman
Joined  04-23-2012

It’s 3 a.m. here in Russia, so forgive me if I don’t reply right now, I will tomorrow) Thanks a lot.!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2015 @ 02:28 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I think the problem might be that you need to set up a multi instrument for your MOX in your environment and enable all channels on it.

Since you didn’t mention setting up a multi instrument, that would be the best place to start.

Are you setting up all 16 or several channels? each with an external instrument plug in on it?

You probably don’t need to do that at all.

Really, what you need is one channel with the plug in on it and a multi instrument in your environment window with all the boxes for the channels activated on it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2015 @ 05:22 PM
stroman
Joined  04-23-2012

Of course, I didn’t set up all 16 channels, I set up 7 channels, as my particular song has in MOX, with the plug in set on each track.Well, it’s very interesting to try what you’re suggesting. I certainly will when I get to my home studio. I will report to you. Thank you very much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2015 @ 06:06 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I think it’s a good place to start.

One multi instrument on one channel with the plug in on it should give you all the control you need for 16 channels and when you are ready to bounce in real time, you should be able to mute all the tracks you don’t want to be bounced, if your plan is to separate them out.

That’s probably why you want to mute them I suppose?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2015 @ 07:05 PM
stroman
Joined  04-23-2012

I’d like to describe what my goal is. I have got several songs recorded in mox’s sequencer mostly in pattern mode. As I told you before I don’t see any problem to transfer the audio to logic, so we are talking about transferring the midi in order to edit something, quantize or whatsoever.. Imagine how can it be possible if you can’t solo( mute) what you want? After finishing the editing of certain midi track or all tracks, I’d like to bounce them, but separately to be able to do mixing, put plug ins etc. yet having midi tracks in the project ( maybe hidden or in folder) to be able to return to them. Otherwise, motif sounds, which I do love, become something you hardly integrate within workflow in DAW. That’s it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2015 @ 08:08 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Have you considered just exporting a Standard MIDI File of your music from your MOX on a usb stick?… and loading that file into Logic, doing your editing and then rendering your audio?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 08:42 AM
stroman
Joined  04-23-2012

I thought about exporting SMF, but having read in some thread (maybe yours?) that it would take me to sort out the mess of midi data, I’m not sure that’s the best way..(though I may be wrong). So far I was recordimg my tracks one after another in real time. Yes, it isn’t fast, but it did work given the fact that the tracks were recorded in pattern mode, it was pretty easy to copy regions in logic and not that long indeed. And “yes” - anwering to the rest of your question.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 02:38 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I suggested doing so as a convenient way of transferring the MIDI data.

You mentioned in a previous post that you wanted to transfer it anyway and that was to edit it and quantize it (if I understood you correctly) so, no matter how you get it into Logic, you will have to sort out your MIDI in the end. 

The messy part commonly comes when people want to separate out the contents of the Type 0 SMF in order to send data to different synths, but I don’t think you want to do that, if you are just working with one MOX8 in a multi-timbral capacity.

Logic, like any other DAW and as you probably know, makes tidying up MIDI data much easier than labouring in the onboard sequencer on your MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 07:29 PM
stroman
Joined  04-23-2012

Well, I have to try what you’re suggesting, I shouldn’t ignore anything before having some trying (sorry for my english )) But, what a patience one must have to troubleshoot these problems! Oh, I tried to do something with multi instrument in midi environment, did not understand anything and went out of there, then kept thinking about why those tracks don’t mute… no explanation! You know, when I was reading some posts in this forum, I realized that a lot of people are very far from knowing basic things and use a small part of the instrument they’ve got. It’s like to drive Ferrari on first gear, because you don’t know how to switch to the next. So my conclusions are: if you make music in DAW - the best way is to use software instruments. If you want to hear your favorite sound from Yamaha recorded in your DAW- it’s to record it as audio. Doing what I am trying to do seems to be too complicated to worth it. That is why almost 100% home studios have just midi keyboard or controller. You won’t find any tutorial in youtube on the subject. Just two of us are here to discuss it, and thank you very much for that!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2015 @ 03:30 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Your English is great, no need to apologise at all.

It doesn’t really matter what other people do, it’s what you do that counts.  The thing with internet forums is that you miss most of the good news, if not all of it, because it is never posted about.  So, I’m not sure it’s fair or particularly accurate to say that a lot of people struggle to use their equipment and software, simply because you’ll never hear from the people who had success right away or those who persevered without asking (or the need to ask). 

Pretty much all forums deal in help or the pursuit of new/fresh knowledge. Questions are asked and help is given.  I’m not surprised to see people fixing their problems, but it doesn’t mean everyone who bought a Yamaha and a DAW has problems.

So, getting back to your situation. You could simplify your whole outlook on this in the future.  You don’t need to record your tracks in pattern or song mode at all when you could start in Logic.  You also don’t need instrument tracks and you don’t especially need the external instrument plug in.

You could achieve this very simply by leaving your MOX8 in Song Mode and setting up as many external MIDI tracks in Logic as you need and recording on them. 

When you are satisfied that your MIDI is ready to be rendered to audio, that’s when you could set up an audio track with inputs 3-4 on it and start recording audio.

From my short experience on this forum, people who start off in the internal sequencer on the MOX usually run into a problem and it stops them dead.  Funnily enough, it’s almost always when they wish to transfer MIDI over to their DAW.

There’s nothing wrong with the internal sequencer at all, but I’d only use it if I didn’t have anything else.  This time, you can transfer via usb stick, but next time maybe consider starting off in Logic, because it’s just a less problematic route.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF8 and Logic Pro X Bank Changes?
Next Topic:

MIDI File won’t transfer. ››