mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Seeking XF Sampling Workflows for getting a clean Sample attack"

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 10:37 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  409
Joined  01-24-2014

I am looking workflow suggestions for getting a clean (no-click) Sample attack using the XF for both sampling & sample editing.* I am seeking a solution that does not rely on using the Element-level amplitude envelope (slower attack.)

I have found pros & cons when using the 2 available Trigger Mode options, found in the Standby mode of the Integrated Sampling’s Rec window.

In other words, I’m referring to the following XF window:
[INTEGRATED SAMPLING] button -> Rec -> Standby.
There are 2 trigger mode settings. Threshold and Manual.

When using the Threshold setting, Sample attack editing is easier, however, I have found that with the Threshold setting, the Sample is irrevocably clipped at its attack. This results in a click if I try to go to the most left, or the earliest available part of the Sample.

And so, I tried sampling with the trigger mode set to Manual. But, then moving the start point to just left of the beginning of the Sample’s attack is possible, but tedious on the XF. (The machine doesn’t keep up as fast as I do.)

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Thank you,

--
* Surely, the computer is a good tip, and I’ll get there. Just impatient, and want to move with what I have going on right now. And, I do want to hear how useful the computer editing options are. When I get to it, I’ll move forward with the Melas Tools.
I don’t totally understand how to use LP=ST, Loop Point=Start Time, in the Sample edit window. And, while I thought, perhaps that could help me, I don’t think it’s directly related to this issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 11:30 AM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Here’s what I discovered:
When editing Samples created with the Manual Trigger setting …
When in the Sample Edit window, i.e.,
[INTEGRATED SAMPLING] button > keybank selected > [EDIT] button

The problem:
large space before Sample attack
and my experience with the XF’s rotary dial and the sluggish XF screen refresh make moving the cursor to an approximate left of Sample start a bit tedious.

To address this problem, instead of relying on the rotary dial to get me close to the left of the Sample start, I tried using the NUM input, and inputting a sample number. This helps a little.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 12:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11283
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 06 February 2015 11:30 AM

[...]To address this problem, instead of relying on the rotary dial to get me close to the left of the Sample start, I tried using the NUM input, and inputting a sample number. This helps a little.

If you’re going to do that, I’d suggest plugging a USB ASCII keyboard into the XF’s TO DEVICE port. That way, it’s much easier to enter numbers - hit [Enter] on the ASCII keyboard after inputting, or it won’t be recognized.

Also, using [+] or [-] on the ASCII keyboard makes it possible to change the entries by small amounts without having to reenter the numbers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 12:50 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Great idea on the ASCII keyboard. (Especially for naming files.) Yeah, I’ve found that using the XF’s built-in NUM feature and guessing a location works much faster for me than using the jog wheel. The ASCII keyboard will only help. (Only to find it a spot in my cramped set-up.)

I suspect my jog wheel is not broken, and the lag I experience is an underpowered DSP when reconciling jog wheel movement & redrawing the cursor location relative to the Sample’s visual waveform representation.  (Jog wheel in other functions is fine, and nothing has changed with it.) Do you agree with this assessment?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 01:32 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

My jog wheel is definitely not broken. It acts exactly as expected when naming a file. I just haven’t figured out how to best “drive” it in the Sample edit window. It seems to read acceleration, but there’s a lag in the visual cursor placement indication.

[ Ignore ]