mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Strange mono retrigger behavior SOS!"

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 07:00 PM
jgaines
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-25-2015

In case what I’m describing doesn’t make sense, I made a video of the behavior here: http://youtu.be/dg9ew9AAVZ0

When I’m playing a lead patch with with mono retriggering, my G key doesn’t retrigger from C.  i.e.: I play a G, keep it held, and press C; but when I let go of C (still holding G) the G does not retrigger; instead, the C note just keeps sustaining. The problem also works the other way: C won’t retrigger from G.

Some interesting things I noticed while troubleshooting this issue:

1) This only happens going from C to G and visa versa. Everything else seems to retrigger fine. (including to and from C and G to other notes)

2) It only happens when playing the C just above G in a given octave (e.g.: G3 to C4); It works just fine when there is more than an octave between the keys (e.g.: G3 to C5).

3) The problem occurs at EVERY octave. (e.g.: G1 to C2; G2 to C3; etc...)

4) Changing the transposition or octave via the octave and transposition shift keys has no effect on the behavior.  (the C and G keyboard keys exhibit the problem regardless which notes they have been transposed to)

5) Whether portamento is on or off has no effect on the behavior

6) This happens 100% of the patches set for mono retriggering.

7) Re-flashing the firmware had no effect on the problem.

I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out what is going on here. I don’t think it’s a mechanical thing, b/c all the C and G keyboard keys work absolutely fine otherwise.  If it’s a software problem, it’s one that just manifested itself out of nowhere. (The issue never occurred until yesterday, and it seemed to happen from the moment I turned on the MOXF).

I’ve twirled knobs and clicked buttons all over the UI thinking something might be stuck, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Anyone experience similar behavior? Anyone have any idea how I can fix the issue? A lot of my lines rely on retriggering, so I’m feeling VERY nervous about a show coming in a couple of weeks.

THANKS!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 07:08 PM
jgaines
Joined  01-25-2015

Well, damn… turns out the problem also exists on the C# and F# within the same octave (C#1 - F#1; C#2 - F#2; etc...) I tested all other combinations and it looks like G/C; C#/F# are the only culprit pairs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 02:31 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
jgaines - 25 January 2015 07:00 PM

I’ve twirled knobs and clicked buttons all over the UI thinking something might be stuck, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

For this reason, perform a factory set. This may be what you described in #7 (Re-Flashed Firmware). Back up your data first.
Confirm that your firmware is updated, I forgot the latest version number, sorry. Might be 1.10.

Disconnect all midi/usb cables and pedals, in particular the sustain pedal. I can recreate this exactly as described by standing on the sustain pedal at the right moment. If you’re not doing so, your pedal may be defective.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 11:49 AM
jgaines
Joined  01-25-2015

Thanks for the input.

I had disconnected everything and reconnected everything and disconnected it again (pedals, midi cables) to no avail.  Did the factory reset.  Didn’t help.

Very odd problem…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 01:14 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
jgaines - 26 January 2015 11:49 AM

Thanks for the input.

I had disconnected everything and reconnected everything and disconnected it again (pedals, midi cables) to no avail.  Did the factory reset.  Didn’t help.

Very odd problem…

Drag. I noticed from your video that your example is a Preset Voice (un-edited). It appears to me as a hardware failure, given that it can be replicated to a tee with a sustain pedal. I’d run the firmware updater again and if it’s of no avail it likely needs service.

[ Ignore ]