mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "bass voices in motif xf"

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 12:11 AM
godfather_599
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-11-2015

Hi all,
I recently encountered a situation where I had to use cubase AI7 to convert a motif xf song into its MIDI equivalent. Although I succeeded, I was not satisfied with the the audio quality. Particularly, one of the tracks having a bass voice (RnBass RB) was barely audible.

However, when I listened to the same song on my motif, I could realize the bass effect for the above said voice. What do I have to do in order to preserve the original quality of the song? I tried playing around with a variety of settings in cubase but in vain :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 12:37 AM
thelittlegumnut
Total Posts:  29
Joined  05-08-2014

If by MIDI equivalent, you mean a MIDI sequence in Cubase that uses the Motif voices, then it could be that you use different devices to listen through the XF? Maybe you use headphones with the XF, but when playing it through a PC you use monitors?

If you use the same device for both, then it could be something to do with velocity on each MIDI note not being converted properly? Maybe a global parameter on the XF is boosting the bass frequencies. Or the other way around. Maybe a global parameter in Cubase, or something on the master track (e.g. master effect) is reducing the bass/boosting treble?

I’m not that familiar with Cubase AI, but they’re my guesses. Someone will probably come on with a more informed answer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 01:05 AM
godfather_599
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-11-2015

thelittlegumnut, good question. I used audio technica headset to listen to both the versions. Also, when I listened to the audio coming back from cubase via my motif, I could hear the desired effect. Not sure if cubase has any role in this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 02:01 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
godfather_599 - 12 January 2015 12:11 AM

I recently encountered a situation where I had to use cubase AI7 to convert a motif xf song into its MIDI equivalent. Although I succeeded, I was not satisfied with the the audio quality. Particularly, one of the tracks having a bass voice (RnBass RB) was barely audible.

However, when I listened to the same song on my motif, I could realize the bass effect for the above said voice. What do I have to do in order to preserve the original quality of the song?

The bass voices in the XF (and other Motif-series keyboards) are usually shifted by an octave to make them easier to play on a 61-key keyboard. Thus, you can play the lowest E of bass guitar without requiring you to transpose the keyboard every time by an octave.

You might have to transpose the bass parts in your MIDI file if you’d like to use them on GM-compatible sound modules.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Saving a song as a wav file
Next Topic:

Motif XF Waveform naming conventions? "L, R, LR, St" ››