mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase not recording ARP effects in Performance mode …."

Posted on: January 10, 2015 @ 09:29 PM
Forrest88
Total Posts:  30
Joined  05-15-2008

Hi,

Thanks to Phil Wood Music and others, I have my MOXF all set up to record midi in my Cubase AI7 with the Auto Set Up “Yamaha MOXF with VST Editor (same as 2stereo)” and have been recording just fine on most midi songs and they play back exactly as recorded. 

Yet, on some Performance mode sounds the ARP effects are not coming through when I play it back even though during the recording they are working and sounding just fine.  An example is the Performance “Cold Space” which has several cool drum and percussion effects, ARP 1-5.  I record the Midi track and shift these from one to another bringing in these various percussion sounds while playing. During the live recording of the midi data it sounds perfectly right as these ARP effects are triggered and coming out in the sound.  When I play it back on Cubase from the midi track, though, I only get piano sounds along with the Mod Wheel and Assignable Function 1 & 2 effects, which are being taken in and triggered by the midi data, yet no percussion is being triggered in the playback even though I had recorded as such and it sounded right. 
Any insight or way to overcome this would be a big help.  Thanks as always. 

PS - When I record this Performance Sound with the onboard sequencer it comes out just fine triggering all the ARP effects as played, just missing in the Cubase.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2015 @ 12:59 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Forrest,

Thanks for the nice words.

I’m sorry to say that I’m not sure what the problem you are encountering actually is (yet) other than a guess that it could be a MIDI routing or audio routing problem.

Could you tell us how everything is connected and include your computer in that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2015 @ 06:34 PM
Forrest88
Joined  05-15-2008

HI - and thanks for responding ...
Computer is an HP PC laptop with good memory and fast processor with the Cubase installed and connected via the USB.  When I turn on the Cubase I get the options for the set up and as I mentioned since my MOXF is connected via the Steinberg USB Driver the Auto Set Up “Yamaha MOXF with VST Editor (same as 2stereo rec mode)” comes up, so I go with this one.  With this set up I can record and get my playback, yet no ARP input coming out.
Now I did see a post on the yamahasynth site Forum “Recording Performance to Song - Step by step Guide” with a reply saying the ARPS could be too complicated with too much data being triggered by them to be picked up on the midi track along with the voice or performance midi data.  My issue is with the Performance Cold Space and in the article the example of Traumzeit USR1:105(G09)is used as someone was having the same problem with midi data from the ARP not getting recorded.  I have to say the article(s)got too complicated, with references to other extensive articles, for me to follow yet here is the link
https://yamahasynth.com/index.phpoption=com_easydiscuss&view=post&id=352&Itemid=851
so you know what I am referring to.  I couldn’t tell if there was a solution as there are references to having to perhaps doing an audio/analog recording to get all the sounds as played yet, and here is the clincher for me, the ON BOARD SEQUENCER on my MOXF will capture all of the performance including the ARPS, so it would stand for reason the Cubase would do the same.  All my other recordings of midi data from Voices and Performance do come out fine yet again it just seems the ARP data not coming though.
Let me know if you need any more details. 
PS - I did notice though, when I try to use the VST for example to download BULK data from my MOXF on the DATA SYNC I get screen messages at eh top saying “Ports in the host app have not been properly set” and Connection is not established” yet there is communication going on as the MOXF is recognized and I can record.
Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot .....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 11:25 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Recording ARPs to your DAW without recording them to SONG MODE first is one of the hardest manoeuvres to conquer out of the MOXF to DAW ‘book of tricks’ simply because there is so much to think about.

I have an idea that your problem might be to do with with your ARP ‘key mode’ type.  For example if you select DIRECT ARP, this mode should be used for the arps that do not have any note data (featuring only controller data like pan, volume, pitch bend etc.)

This could be the product of using an incorrect set up.

I am more than a little hazy on this subject, so here is our illustrious Bad_Mister addressing the subject much better than I ever could:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471001

You could opt to record your ARPs to SONG MODE and then export your MIDI data to Cubase leaving the MOXF in SONG MODE with the correct sound selections still in place so that it sounds right and then you can import that MIDI data to Cubase and play back that way.

Regarding “Ports in the host app have not been properly set”

You mentioned that you were using the VST Editor and MOXF6/MOXF8 Port 4 is reserved for the exclusive use of the Editor, so it could be that you need to make sure that you are using it on MOXF6/MOXF8 - Port 4 and not any other.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 08:26 PM
Forrest88
Joined  05-15-2008

Thanks again - Will be trying all of this out and good to know there are limitations and complications I am encountering running counter to what I might be expecting.  Lots to learn yet this is part of the greater process in mastering this pretty amazing musical machine.  Getting some great pieces recorded for my next CD!

[ Ignore ]