mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Importing a WAV file into the XF"

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 07:08 PM
kevland1
Total Posts:  1107
Joined  11-06-2005

So, I put a USB stick with a WAV file into the XS. I hit “play” and I can hear it. What else can I do with it?
Can I import it into Song or Pattern mode so I can build the track up?
Do I have to do this via “Sample?” In other words, bring the WAV into the machine via sampling and then get it into Song mode to work with it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 07:21 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
kevland1 - 08 January 2015 07:08 PM

So, I put a USB stick with a WAV file into the XS. I hit “play” and I can hear it. What else can I do with it?
Can I import it into Song or Pattern mode so I can build the track up?
Do I have to do this via “Sample?” In other words, bring the WAV into the machine via sampling and then get it into Song mode to work with it?

You posted this message in the XF forum, with the subject “Importing a WAV file into the XF”. But you’re asking about an XS, and just previously you posted in the XS forum:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/474252/

Do you have an XS, or is it an XF? Your member profile doesn’t help, since there’s no relevant information there. Because the memory configurations are different on the two Motifs, replies to your questions can depend on the model.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 07:26 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

It really depends on exactly what you want to accomplish.  Judging from your other thread, perhaps the information in This Article would be helpful.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in “one shot” samples or loops, then This Tutorial may be better suited.

BTW, this is the Motif XF Forum page.  Although the XS has broad similarities, you would probably get better specifics on the XS page.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 07:27 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

5pin. I have an XS - will be getting an XF in the next few days (I bought the first XS in So Cal on the day of it’s release and it is pretty beat up).
But for today, I am just wondering what I can do with a WAV file on a USB stick on an XS other than listen to it.
I guess I will deal with the XF question once I have it here....I did not realize the differing memory config on it would cause my question to be answered two different ways.

What I am trying not to do is drag my XS (or XF) into the computer room and and run analog audio out to my MBox3 so I can add more Motif parts to my WAV file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 07:29 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

Thanks CM and 5PIN.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 07:58 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
kevland1 - 08 January 2015 07:27 PM

5pin. I have an XS - will be getting an XF in the next few days (I bought the first XS in So Cal on the day of it’s release and it is pretty beat up).
But for today, I am just wondering what I can do with a WAV file on a USB stick on an XS other than listen to it.
I guess I will deal with the XF question once I have it here....I did not realize the differing memory config on it would cause my question to be answered two different ways.

What I am trying not to do is drag my XS (or XF) into the computer room and and run analog audio out to my MBox3 so I can add more Motif parts to my WAV file.

Cmayhle has given you some good links to start with.

Whether the memory differences between the XS and XF would matter depends on a few factors. Based on your previous post, the XS has 1 GB of optional SDRAM memory installed. That memory is volatile - every time you power off the XS, the WAV data is lost and has to be reloaded the next time. An XF comes standard with 128 MB of SDRAM, which of course is also volatile. However, it can have up to two optional flash modules installed, and that type of memory is non-volatile - the data persists through on/off power cycling. So with an XS, there’s only one choice where to load a WAV file, but with an XF that has at least one flash module, there can be two possible places (assuming the WAV isn’t bigger than 128 MB - otherwise the destination could only be a flash module).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 08:15 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

Thanks again - I guess this reference: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/474252/
is the only way to go on the XS.I apapreciate the link.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 08:48 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

And finally - I have read through the info and I guess I am really dumb. I don’t see how to transfer a WAV file from the USB drive into the machine - pushing the Integrated Sampling button and then hitting F6 gives me my Input Source selector BUT it only gives me the choice of A/D, resampling, or mLAN. It does not allow me to select USB drive as a souce - - - so I am at a loss as to how to import the WAV file on the USB stick into the Sampler.
Maybe what I am trying to do (import a WAV) is not a function of either the XF or XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 09:48 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
kevland1 - 08 January 2015 08:48 PM

And finally - I have read through the info and I guess I am really dumb. I don’t see how to transfer a WAV file from the USB drive into the machine - pushing the Integrated Sampling button and then hitting F6 gives me my Input Source selector BUT it only gives me the choice of A/D, resampling, or mLAN. It does not allow me to select USB drive as a souce - - - so I am at a loss as to how to import the WAV file on the USB stick into the Sampler.
Maybe what I am trying to do (import a WAV) is not a function of either the XF or XS.

No, definitely not dumb.  You just aren’t quite there yet.

There are many paths to using samples in the XS(XF).  The two discussed most applicably in the materials referenced above are:

Imported Samples:  Via USB thumb drive
Recorded Samples:  Via the A/D or Firewire(mLan) inputs

With both methods, the samples end up either in USER SDRAM or on the optional Flash Board (Optional DIMM memory on the XS).

If you have a .WAV audio sample on a USB drive, you can Import the sample to the XS(XF).

If you have a .WAV sample (or other audio sample) on a playback device (computer or other playback device) you can record the sample to the XS(XF) via the A/D or Firewire(mLan) inputs.  In the same fashion, you can record a sample “live” to the machine...such as a singing voice or a guitar.

Since you would like to put your .WAV audio sample into the machine from USB drive, you will want to Import the sample.

Refer to the Drum Kit Loop Tutorial material above, and in the PDF document included, refer to page 9, IMPORTING SAMPLES TO A DRUM KIT.  In this section of the document, you will find a discussion of importing samples to the USER SDRAM or optional Flash memory, depending on the machine.  Once in the machine, this new waveform (actually your audio “clip") can be assigned to a Drum VOICE, then utilized as a PART in a PATTERN or SONG MIX...just like any other sample(waveform) contained in a VOICE...and triggered from the assigned key of the Drum Voice you have placed it in. This “playing” of the sample as a Drum Kit Key can be done either Live or Recorded (to the sequencer), and other XS(XF) PARTS can be played with the audio clip.

From the very top of the Drum Kit Loop Tutorial pdf document:

Using a Drum Kit Voice for Audio Loops
A Drum Kit Voice makes the perfect Voice to house any audio clips or loops that you might want to assign to a SONG or PATTERN. The reason is that you can place a different audio clip on each key and control it individually. Remember: audio in the Motif XS is always samples....”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 11:34 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

CMAYHLE - again, thanks - I am understanding that you want me to go to page 9 and read down to the “Importing Samples to a Drum Kit.”
I will work with it tomorrow when I get back and hope it clears up this mystery for me!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2015 @ 03:21 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Sounds good, let us know if you run into a road block.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2015 @ 08:37 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

Sorry - this did not work for me. I was able to get a WAV to load from the USB stick (I think) and assigned it to C3 as instructed in page 9, IMPORTING SAMPLES TO A DRUM KIT - but playing the C3 key does not play back the sample.
I think I have given up.

So here is a simpler question: On page 163 of the XS Manual it describes the sampling procedure. It would be really great in the Integrated Sampling Window (and after pressing [F6] and navigating to the “Input Source” if I had a choice to choose the USB Port. Instead I only get to choose A/D, resampling, and mLAN. I do have OS V1.50 installed. Should I not get a choice to choose the USB drive as an Input Source? why not? This seems like something that would have been easy to include in the V1.50 or 1.60 software.
So I am still at ground zero here....I can’t find a step by step instruction that is easy to follow and that works.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2015 @ 09:37 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
kevland1 - 10 January 2015 08:37 PM

Sorry - this did not work for me. I was able to get a WAV to load from the USB stick (I think) and assigned it to C3 as instructed in page 9, IMPORTING SAMPLES TO A DRUM KIT - but playing the C3 key does not play back the sample.
I think I have given up.

So here is a simpler question: On page 163 of the XS Manual it describes the sampling procedure. It would be really great in the Integrated Sampling Window (and after pressing [F6] and navigating to the “Input Source” if I had a choice to choose the USB Port. Instead I only get to choose A/D, resampling, and mLAN. I do have OS V1.50 installed. Should I not get a choice to choose the USB drive as an Input Source? why not? This seems like something that would have been easy to include in the V1.50 or 1.60 software.
So I am still at ground zero here....I can’t find a step by step instruction that is easy to follow and that works.

Second point first:  That’s not how it works, so it really doesn’t matter how great it would be.  To sample, you must stream audio.  to stream audio, you need a playback device.  A USB thumb drive is a storage device.  How is it going to playback audio?

Note:  While the XF can playback audio .WAV files from USB drive, and theoretically you could route that playback into the A/D inputs, I do not believe there is the ability to simultaneously playback audio and record audio to the USER SDRAM/Flash Memory.

Back to what you really need to do if you want to get a SAVED .WAV into your machine:

Did you really assign the trigger as C3?  Per page 9?  Because that is not what is happening on page 9.  That page gives an overview of what is going to happen, and states that by default the pitch of the sample is set to C3.  That is the pitch key, not the trigger key.  The assigned trigger key happens when you choose it...which is on the first screen shown at the top of page 10.  See where the “Key” field is highlighted on that screen, and C1 has been set?  That is the trigger key...C1.  You have to actually set the trigger key in the “Key” field.  It does not need to be C1...but you will actually need to set a key in that field.

I would suggest you go to the top of page 10, where is says “Let’s do it...”, and follow the instructions from there, substituting your .WAV file for “Rap3V_~1.wav” (unless you have in fact “given up”!)

The screen on top of page 10 is where it all happens.  The screen on the bottom of page 9 is the Sample Edit screen that goes with the “head-scratcher” paragraph to the right of it.  That is not the screen where the LOAD process you want to do happens.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2015 @ 10:23 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

THANKS - I did look at “Let’s do it” but have not tried it. I will.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ automatic shutdown down
Next Topic:

Saving a song as a wav file ››