mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "automatic shutdown down"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 02:23 PM
selfymart
Total Posts:  52
Joined  03-30-2014

is it possible to set motif xf to shutdown after no activity of say 1/2/3hrs?
I searched the forum, could not find it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2015 @ 02:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
selfymart - 08 January 2015 02:23 PM

is it possible to set motif xf to shutdown after no activity of say 1/2/3hrs?
I searched the forum, could not find it.

Auto Power Off is implemented in some recent models, but not the XF.

You could just get an electrical outlet timer and plug the XF into it, although care would have to be taken to avoid the power being removed during a long operation or if something important hadn’t been stored.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 11:38 AM
DschoKeys
Total Posts:  109
Joined  07-08-2005

It seems that the Motif XF has a similar function as the MOX for example. You can activate/deactivate Auto-Power-Off by turning the power on while holding down the lowest key on the keyboard. A “Auto power off enabled/disabled.” indication will appear briefly.

All the best, :)
Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 12:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DschoKeys - 15 February 2015 11:38 AM

It seems that the Motif XF has a similar function as the MOX for example. You can activate/deactivate Auto-Power-Off by turning the power on while holding down the lowest key on the keyboard. A “Auto power off enabled/disabled.” indication will appear briefly.

Are you sure? I can find no documentation to support that, and my own XF6, which has the most recent OS (version 1.50) installed, doesn’t behave the way you described.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 03:46 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
DschoKeys - 15 February 2015 11:38 AM

All the best, :)
Jo

Not true. This functionality does NOT exist
on the Motif XF. Just to be quadruple-sure,
I just now tried booting while holding down
the lowest key on the keyboard. No “auto power
off” message appeared.

I dont know where you got this notion. Perhaps
you’’re confused about which model workstation
you were referring to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 05:18 PM
DschoKeys
Joined  07-08-2005

Sorry for the confusion, folks! Just right now, there is a thread in the German Musiker-Board where one guy complains that his Motif XF7 is shutting down regularly after some time. He also reports that this behaviour stopped after pressing the lowest key while powering-on his motif, and that his Motif XF7 allegedly showed the message: “Auto power off disabled”.

Any ideas?

All the best.  :)
Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 06:02 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DschoKeys - 15 February 2015 05:18 PM

Sorry for the confusion, folks! Just right now, there is a thread in the German Musiker-Board where one guy complains that his Motif XF7 is shutting down regularly after some time. He also reports that this behaviour stopped after pressing the lowest key while powering-on his motif, and that his Motif XF7 showed the message: “Auto power off disabled”.

This?…
http://www.musiker-board.de/threads/motif-xf-7-geht-automatisch-aus.602354/

DschoKeys -

Any ideas?

Viele Geister.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 06:12 PM
DschoKeys
Joined  07-08-2005
5pinDIN - 15 February 2015 06:02 PM

This?…
http://www.musiker-board.de/threads/motif-xf-7-geht-automatisch-aus.602354/
[...] 
Viele Geister.  ;-)

Exactly that one, 5pinDIN!  :)

I was wondering that the TO reported seeing the message “Auto power off disabled” on his Motif.

P.S. Are you from Germany?  :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 06:49 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DschoKeys - 15 February 2015 06:12 PM

Exactly that one, 5pinDIN!  :)

I was wondering, that the TO reported seeing the message “Auto power off disabled” on his Motif.

At first I thought the reference was supposed to be to a MOXF (as opposed to a Motif XF), but there’s no “7” version of the MOXF.

Strange…

DschoKeys -

P.S. Are you from Germany?  :)

Nein - but I did have a few years of Deutsch “im Gymnasium” a long time ago.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 08:43 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002

There is no truth at all to any claim that the XF has an auto shutdown feature. This German post must refer to the MO X or MO XF. Although, I’m not aware of being able to enable/disable auto shutdown by pressing “the lowest key” on the MO X or MO XF keyboard. For one thing, the lowest key is different on an 88-key model than it is on a 61-key model. The operating system isn’t model-specific, so how would it “know” what the lowest key actually is?

File this under rumor started on the internet. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Here’s what I think is actually the case. Yes, the MO XF has an “auto shutdown” feature enabled by default. After 30 minutes of non-use, it will power down (which is really annoying but it is a required “energy-saving feature” for newer electronic appliances).
The user can disable it in Utility. I think that’s what the guy originally referred to, and somehow the story morphed into “you can disable it by pressing the lowest key while powering up”. Maybe he was pressing a key at the same time he was disabling auto-power off on the Utility screen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2015 @ 09:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The MOX6/MOX8/MOXF6/MOXF8 “knows” which key is its lowest - otherwise it would be very “confused”.

From page 18 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual:
Disabling Auto Power Off (simple method)
Turn the power on while holding down the lowest key on the
keyboard. A “Auto power off disabled.” indication appears
briefly and Auto Power Off is disabled. The setting is retained
even if the power is turned off.

Similar information appears in the MOX Supplementary Manual, since Auto Power Off is a MOX feature beginning with OS version 1.01.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 01:02 PM
DschoKeys
Joined  07-08-2005
DavePolich - 15 February 2015 08:43 PM

on the Motif XF.
[...]
you were referring to.
[...]
There is no truth at all to any claim that the XF has an auto shutdown feature

Did you ask Yamaha about that, or where do you know that truth from? BTW: I don’t like the rude undertone in some of your posts…

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet

Well, at least I for myself believe that the display shown here is from a Motif XF, not a MOXF! Do you have some competent ideas NOW, Dave? ;)

All the best, ;)
Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 08:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DschoKeys - 18 February 2015 01:02 PM

[...]Well, at least I for myself believe that the display shown here is from a Motif XF, not a MOXF![...]

I’ve looked over that thread again, especially the pictures of the display. I find it intriguing.

My own XF6 shows exactly the same “Current Version” information as in the second picture. However, I can’t get mine to show the “Message” in the first picture.

The OP (musicman2008) at musiker-board writes that he bought his XF7 recently. That has me wondering if there’s been a production change that allows Auto Power Off to function on newer units. It would require there to be a means of cutting power, controlled and timed electronically. I’m willing to accept that it could be implemented, but then why is there (apparently) no documentation, and how does one turn on the timer?

The EU has energy-usage regulations which come into force at various times - some took effect January 1 of this year. It’s possible that Yamaha had to incorporate the power-down on product sold after that date.

However, it might still be ghosts.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2015 @ 02:42 AM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
DschoKeys - 18 February 2015 01:02 PM

on the Motif XF.
[...]
you were referring to.
[...]
There is no truth at all to any claim that the XF has an auto shutdown feature

Did you ask Yamaha about that, or where do you know that truth from? BTW: I don’t like the rude undertone in some of your posts…

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet

Well, at least I for myself believe that the display shown here is from a Motif XF, not a MOXF! Do you have some competent ideas NOW, Dave? ;)

All the best, ;)
Jo

Well I dont think you’re really wishing me the
best…

FYI, I’ve been part of Yamaha’s sound design
team since 1991. I programmed a lot of the factory
voices on the XF. So...thats how I know what
I’m talking about.

If this Auto Power Off feature exists on the
XF, I sure dont know where it is. When you
locate it, do us all a favor and tell us which
screen it is on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2015 @ 04:09 PM
DschoKeys
Joined  07-08-2005
DavePolich - 19 February 2015 02:42 AM

Well I dont think you’re really wishing me the
best…

Why should I not do so? Actually, I appreciate your helpful posts in this forum.

FYI, I’ve been part of Yamaha’s sound design
team since 1991. I programmed a lot of the factory
voices on the XF. So...thats how I know what
I’m talking about.

Thanks for that information, Dave! I knew your vita before, and I am sure you know a lot and even more about the Motif. Yet I wondered about your harsh tone and remembered a similar manner in a recent thread about the 2GB Mutec Flash Boards… ;)

If this Auto Power Off feature exists on the
XF, I sure dont know where it is. When you
locate it, do us all a favor and tell us which
screen it is on.

As I wrote before in the German forum, I wasn’t able to replicate that behaviour on my Motif XF6; I tried a few options (transposing the keyboard to imitate the 76 key model; pressing the lowest key long, short etc.).

Perhaps you could find that out much more easily due to your close connection to Yamaha (and therefore also to the technical department). 5pinDIN’s assumption about EU energy-usage regulations affecting the production of newly built models doesn’t sound too unrealistic to me at all...but who knows?

All the best (honestly), ;)

Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2015 @ 05:22 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DschoKeys - 19 February 2015 04:09 PM

[...]5pinDIN’s assumption about EU energy-usage regulations affecting the production of newly built models doesn’t sound too unrealistic to me at all…

I’m not assuming anything - I’d rather call it “conjecture”.  :-)

DschoKeys -

but who knows?[...]

Someone does, and I’m hopeful that Dave Polich would have connections at Yamaha who could provide accurate information. It’s not like we’re asking for trade secrets to be divulged in violation of an NDA.

Or, we could continue to speculate…

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI send/receive issue
Next Topic:

Importing a WAV file into the XF ››