mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Do the Motif XF8 and the MOXF8 have the same keyboard action?"

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 12:20 AM
beldanjo
Total Posts:  109
Joined  07-21-2004

My friends MOXF8 seems to have a different feel than my Motif XF8.  Do they have the same action?  Perhaps it only seems to feel different because he has better and bigger speakers.  I have Rokit6 powered monitors.  He has much larger TOA speakers that have 15” woofers and they are hooked up to an amp.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 01:35 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

No, they don’t have the same action.

GHS (Graded Hammer) 88-key weighted action for the MOXF8

BH (Balanced Hammer) 88-key weighted action for the Motif XF8

Graded Hammer means weight of the action is graded from heavier in the bass, to lighter in the treble (as you would find in an acoustic piano).

Balanced Hammer means weight of the action is uniform across the entire keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 01:52 AM
beldanjo
Joined  07-21-2004

I think I like the graded hammer action of the MOXF8 better as it seems much easier to play yet it doesn’t have the bouncy feel of weightless keys.  I’ll have to play them both some more.  Which do you prefer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 02:29 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
beldanjo - 05 January 2015 01:52 AM

I think I like the graded hammer action of the MOXF8 better as it seems much easier to play yet it doesn’t have the bouncy feel of weightless keys.  I’ll have to play them both some more.  Which do you prefer?

What YOU prefer is going to be much more important to you than what I prefer!

I like the Balanced Hammer action on my XF8 for the way that I use it.  As a life-long piano player, I don’t really care for non-weighted keys for the vast majority of sounds I play (non-weighted meaning as found on synth-style keybeds).  The Balanced Hammer action (XF8) is nice in that I am able to Zone, Layer, Split or Note-range areas of the keyboard for whichever sound I prefer in that location...without having to worry about heavy action on the left end of the keyboard vs. light action on the right end of the keyboard...as I would with a Graded Hammer action (MOXF8).

However, when I play piano parts (a very large part of what I play) I much prefer an acoustic-piano style Graded Hammer action.

That is why I use my Graded Hammer pianos (P200 and CP4) to play piano parts, and my XF8 to play the rest.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 10:59 PM
beldanjo
Joined  07-21-2004

I basically use my XF8 for playing and sequencing piano accompaniments of choral accompaniments, and I guess that’s why I fell in love with the action on my friend’s MOXF8 (ts more like a real piano).  I’ve been playing regular pianos for over 50 years. I LOVE Yamaha Grands, but our church is small and we only have a Yamaha P22.  My old ES was good but But, the XF sound is just incredible.

My friend says the XF8 has a slightly better sound than the MOXF8.  One of the You Tube videos said the XF8 “filters” are better?  But, I cannot tell the difference, and my friend said it’s not that much of a difference for the price.

I will probably sell my ES8 and then get a MOXF8.  And a little later I may also sell my XF8 to have the exact same keyboard at home and church.

Thank you for your expertise and your kindness.  Both are greatly appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2015 @ 11:10 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
beldanjo - 05 January 2015 10:59 PM

...My friend says the XF8 has a slightly better sound than the MOXF8.  One of the You Tube videos said the XF8 “filters” are better?  But, I cannot tell the difference, and my friend said it’s not that much of a difference for the price.....

Before YOU come to the same conclusions, you may want to check out This Thread.

[ Ignore ]