mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Trying to get ES7 to work as midi keyboard via USB using Cubase 7.0.4 on OSX 10.9.5 - can you help?"

Posted on: December 31, 2014 @ 04:29 PM
wilki
Total Posts:  17
Joined  01-01-2007

hi there,

i’m trying to do the above no frills but seem to have come unstuck already trying to install the driver. So i went to the website and downloaded the yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2.pkg and installed it, but when i click on the purple icon in system preferences I get a “Alert- cannot access to a driver” sign. I guess this means the driver hasn’t been installed? I tried fiddling about in cubase with Ports and device set up and turning the MIDI in/ out of the motif to USB and LocalCtrl OFF but I;m guessing unless this / the driver is sorted it’s a pretty futile effort?

please advise. It’s been awhile and i want to get back into the swing of it- i know the ES is pretty old and i’ve written off all the MLAN16e functionality i used to enjoy with an older windows- right now i just want to use it as a midi keyboard via USB to play some VSTs and do some projects in cubase.

Can you help?

thanks v much!

T

- if it’s significant I just did the step 6 in the installation guide to check the installation was successful and appear to have been installed ok in the /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ section but when i click on the YAMAHA-USBMIDIPatch.prefPane file after searching /Library/PreferencePanes/ from the Finder / Go window i get the “Alert- cannot access to a driver” box appear

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2014 @ 09:03 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

That’s certainly odd, I have never had any issues installing the Yamaha drivers on my Macs...they just work.

Delete the driver and try installing it again. Make sure you download a version of the driver that’s compatible with 10.9.5.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2015 @ 01:57 PM
wilki
Joined  01-01-2007

Hi there,

thank you for the post. I did the uninstall reinstall and it looks like the driver has been installed- when i open the driver the “Yamaha motif es” is showing as the device name. No I go into cubase but can’t get the signal to work. On the motif I have done this:

MIDI in / OUT - checked to USB
LocalCtrl - checked to OFF

I am in Song mode. The USB is connected to the computer. Cubase is open. No signal when i press the keys. I go to Device Setup- not sure if I’ve checked the right boxes here so pls find attached.
I selected Yamaha Motif ESPort1 on the midi inputs button of a track. Gone into the motif and turned PORT to 1 (default is OFF) for example, track 1. Can’t recall if this is needed or not?

Just want to use it as a midi keyboard right now - can you help sort?

thanks a million and happy new year!

T

Image Attachments
device set up shot.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2015 @ 02:00 PM
wilki
Joined  01-01-2007

Hi there,

thank you for the post. I did the uninstall reinstall and it looks like the driver has been installed- when i open the driver the “Yamaha motif es” is showing as the device name. No I go into cubase but can’t get the signal to work. On the motif I have done this:

MIDI in / OUT - checked to USB
LocalCtrl - checked to OFF

I am in Song mode. The USB is connected to the computer. Cubase is open. No signal when i press the keys. I go to Device Setup- not sure if I’ve checked the right boxes here so pls find attached.
I selected Yamaha Motif ESPort1 on the midi inputs button of a track. Gone into the motif and turned PORT to 1 (default is OFF) for example, track 1. Can’t recall if this is needed or not?

Just want to use it as a midi keyboard right now - can you help sort?

thanks a million and happy new year!

T

Image Attachments
device set sup.pngdevice set up shot.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2015 @ 05:52 PM
wilki
Joined  01-01-2007

is this a no-go or no no or what?

Can this be done?

ES7 - USB cable- go into i mac OSX 10.9.5 - to use it as a midi keyboard only to play some VSTs on cubase 7.0.4? I’m having no joy. Is it doable or not? If it is can someone pls talk me thru the steps. If not please say so so I don’t waste time trying to get this to work

thanks v much

Cheers, t

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2015 @ 08:01 PM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

Yes, of course control of a vst in Cubase through MIDI from an ES is standard operation.

I have only had a quick look, and i may have missed something, but your setup seems OK, though I personally set “All MIDI Inputs” rather than a particular ES port.  You don’t say where you “tuned the Motif to Port 1” but it should not be necessary to change such a setting simply to use the ES as a controller. I must also assume that your driver is installed correctly.

There certainly could be many reasons why you cannot hear your vst. Presumably you have powered everything down and back up again? I always switch my ES on first before I power up the computer so that I can be sure it has picked up the USB connection properly.

I am not sure what you mean by “go into cubase but can’t get the signal to work”.  When you press a key on the ES can you see activity on the Cubase Transport Bar?

Have you checked all of the obvious physical connection issues? Have you tried another USB cable? Are you sure the USB connection on your computer is working properly. Have you swapped to another USB input?

Make sure there is nothing on the ES that is set up abnormally - and the same with Cubase. Any MIDI filters set in Preferences?

Just a few thoughts anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Loading CS6x voices into Motif ES - a converter project
Next Topic:

Can someone HELP !! ››